With a plethora of accessory options available at dealerships (authorised and after-market), choosing the right add-ons can get confusing. Team-BHP lists the ‚Äúmust-have‚ÄĚ accessories for your new car.
Do keep in mind that car dealerships make a killing on their high-priced accessory fittings alone. We recommend buying most of your add-ons from the after-market. However, quality (of product and installation) is very crucial to some accessories, especially the electronic variety.¬†
- Mats: Floor mats and a Dicky mat.
- High quality Sun film: This helps to protect the interiors and occupants from the extreme climatic conditions.
- Seat Covers: We recommend art leather for its value.¬†
- Audio System installation / upgrade: If required.¬†
- Air-freshener: Keeps the interiors smelling fresh. Scroll-type fresheners which fit on the air-con louvers are very popular and effective.
Safety / Security:
- Remote-locking security system: Not only for the added security, but also for convenience.
- Steering Grip lock / Gear Lock: Great way of theft prevention.
- Headlight bulb upgrade: Only if stock bulbs are inadequate. Upgrade headlight bulbs to more powerful ones with the appropriate relay and wiring.
- Mirror Lock: Some cars require this to prevent theft of standard wing mirrors.
- Fire Extinguisher: Can save you and your car in the event of an electrical short-circuit etc.
- Tyre / Puncture repair kit: A must for highway travelers.¬†
- Fog lights: They aid driving in foggy conditions, and provide a life-saving backup if the headlights malfunction.
- Comprehensive Tool Kit: Standard tool kits are always minimalistic, so get one that is as comprehensive as a swiss army knife.¬†
- Extra fuses: For crucial parts such as the headlight, starter etc.¬†¬†
Tyres / Alloys:
- Tyre Upgrade: Some models of cars come severely under-tyred from the factory. We would highly recommend you to upgrade your tyres to a more appropriate size. You can do this straight from the showroom to get the best exchange price. Link
- Alloy Wheels: If the budget permits. ¬†
- High quality cleaning cloth
- Branded wax polish
- Car Cover
- Parking Sensors
- Child Seat
- There may be some accessories which are car specific. For e.g. quarter glass security grilles in a Maruti 800.¬†
- Team-BHP does NOT recommend Teflon coating for several reasons.