Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The 2018 Auto Expo


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2018, 11:11   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 244
Thanked: 526 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

I don't think Tata would stop Zest production, as it is now serving the Taxi segment as a replacement for Indigo CS. However, it does make sense to replace the 3 potters from Tigor with the engines from Zest since Tigor has picked up sales and the Zest engines would make the deal sweeter for the private buyers.
jpcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 12:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 9,291
Thanked: 17,855 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
I don't think Tata would stop Zest production, as it is now serving the Taxi segment as a replacement for Indigo CS. However, it does make sense to replace the 3 potters from Tigor with the engines from Zest since Tigor has picked up sales and the Zest engines would make the deal sweeter for the private buyers.
Zest, Bolt and Hexa were stop gap arrangements till the actual GenerarionNext products arrived. As mentioned by them in the Expo presentations - the lineup will be rationalized to less platforms soon.

Personally I dont think Zest and Bolt might be around by the next expo - when TATA would have a new generation of production ready vehicles. Only remaining vehicle from the old Vista platform would be Nexon, for which the replacement (X451 based SUV) might come later since its still a fresh product.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 12:58   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 446
Thanked: 739 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Zest, Bolt and Hexa were stop gap arrangements till the actual GenerarionNext products arrived. As mentioned by them in the Expo presentations - the lineup will be rationalized to less platforms soon.
Agree with bolt and zest but definitely not Hexa. For one thing, it was launched way after tiago.
Also, the product itself doesn't seem to look in anyway as a "stop gap arrangement"!

Tiago, Tigor, Nexon and Hexa also share the same impact design philosophy. Not the zest and bolt.

If you say hexa was a temporary arrangement, you will also have to include tiago, tigor and Nexon which is not the case!

Interesting thing here is the impact design platform and the impact 2.0. Both will coexist for atleast another decade.
abhi7013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 13:23   #19
BHPian
 
Nissan1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Personally I dont think Zest and Bolt might be around by the next expo - when TATA would have a new generation of production ready vehicles. Only remaining vehicle from the old Vista platform would be Nexon, for which the replacement (X451 based SUV) might come later since its still a fresh product.
Smart companies create good brands and nurture them. The brand grows stronger and becomes independent over a decade or more. Even someone who cannot read the english alphabet but has an interest in buying a car knows that the City is a car by Honda and the i10 is by Hyundai. The brands stand for quality and durability, just like the Indica brand symbolized niggles, which killed the supremely capable Manza and Vista. Ironically, Tata continues to sell the Indica, 20 years after it was launched, with the same interiors and exteriors even today. And then they decide to kill, or avoid nurturing, the Zest and the Bolt into standalone brands. A lot of people on this forum placed a significant amount of money at stake by purchasing the Zest when it was launched. If the company kills the brand, they will lose a few more patrons. Personally, I would not trust them anymore if they stop the Hexa. You buy a 15 lakh car today and it is killed a year later- destroying all hopes of getting a decent resale value. Even smartphone companies like Micromax nurture their brands, although the initial products were a liability for most consumers. The important thing is continuity. If they do not maintain that, you cannot trust them. Even the Baleno brand was preserved by Maruti and they managed to transform it to represent a chic hatchback from a sedate sedan. It takes effort and a good strategy.

If the product planning team was serious about getting people to trust its products, they would have shown that by upgrading the Zest to make it more contemporary. Even today, a white Zest with good alloys looks much better than the XCent and present generation Amaze. The fact that they manage to kill customer perceptions about their products within a short time is a testament to the flaws in their marketing strategy. Even if the engineers make the best car in the segment, they will not succeed until they earn back the public's trust.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 9th February 2018 at 13:46.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 13:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 9,291
Thanked: 17,855 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Agree with bolt and zest but definitely not Hexa. For one thing, it was launched way after tiago.
Also, the product itself doesn't seem to look in anyway as a "stop gap arrangement"!
Hexa was basically an extensive facelift of the Aria. "TATA Aria, Take 2" as our official review calls it.

And by "Stop Gap Arrangement" - I did not mean that the Hexa was any less by current standards. Just that the next generation looks like it will be another big leap forward even by Hexa standards. Just like Zest and Bolt felt great, but just a couple of years down the line - Tiago and Tigor took the game a whole lot forward for TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Tiago, Tigor, Nexon and Hexa also share the same impact design philosophy. Not the zest and bolt.

If you say hexa was a temporary arrangement, you will also have to include tiago, tigor and Nexon which is not the case!

Interesting thing here is the impact design platform and the impact 2.0. Both will coexist for atleast another decade.
Personally feel that the future of Hexa depends on the pricing of the new seven seater SUV. And its name, if by any chance it is called Safari.

Can these two co-exist? Surely yes. But depends on various factors. If the new SUV is a stunner as things looks now - the 7 seater version might end up eating sales from the Hexa too, leaving not much room for it.

Again, this is all my personal opinion and inferences. Not something that might or might not come true. Peace.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 13:53   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 34
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Looks like Tata is putting a lot of work and efforts to make it big. I really hope that they also put it some efforts on the after sales and service.
Good to see an Indian company making it big among the giants of automobiles at the Auto Expo.
get2bid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 14:01   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 91
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Tata made themselves proud by proving that they mean business. Most of their new launches have been successful. Previously they have been good in identifying new segments, opening them and handing over to competition. I guess they have got their pieces together today and are showing they can be taken seriously. Some how I get the feeling that the designers are inspired by M.C.Escher's paintings and fractals!! the Y seems to dominate in so many of their designs. Two Ys turned 90 degrees and connected in the back of Nexon, the same is the front of H5X, the mats, rear fog lamps have the same Y and also the Aluminium wheels of H5X seem to have the Y. It started with Hexa in the back - the chrome strip holding rear lamps is the first one they seem to have used! Probably it is the designer's answer to senior management's question as to Y and their answer seems to be Y Nought?
soonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 14:29   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 446
Thanked: 739 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can these two co-exist? Surely yes. But depends on various factors. If the new SUV is a stunner as things looks now - the 7 seater version might end up eating sales from the Hexa too, leaving not much room for it.

Again, this is all my personal opinion and inferences. Not something that might or might not come true. Peace.
One thing that am pretty sure of is that the 7 seater SUV will definitely be priced way higher than the Hexa. The features and looks on offer are worlds apart. There's no way this can cost below 20L!
abhi7013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 14:54   #24
BHPian
 
naturaldisaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 271
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Strangely there was no mention of an electric Nano. Have seen pics of the Nano EV and believe it would be a great vehicle. A glimpse was warranted at Auto Expo.

Cheers.
naturaldisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 15:00   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poland
Posts: 73
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Somehow I feel, a replacement for Safari is missing. The portfolio presented does not address the Bolero & Scorpio segments. They will create a segment of their own.
Theyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 15:02   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 1,117 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Personally feel that the future of Hexa depends on the pricing of the new seven seater SUV. And its name, if by any chance it is called Safari.

Can these two co-exist? Surely yes. But depends on various factors. If the new SUV is a stunner as things looks now - the 7 seater version might end up eating sales from the Hexa too, leaving not much room for it.

Again, this is all my personal opinion and inferences. Not something that might or might not come true. Peace.
Since the 7 seater is scheduled to come later, it could be christened as the next-gen Hexa, replacing the current model. This would depend on the success and fan following of the Hexa brand in the meanwhile.

Similarly, the 5 seater could be called the next gen Safari if Tata wants to continue with the iconic brand. Or they might just dump all the old names and start something afresh, as they have been doing in the past couple of years.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 15:50   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,116
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Since the 7 seater is scheduled to come later, it could be christened as the next-gen Hexa, replacing the current model. This would depend on the success and fan following of the Hexa brand in the meanwhile.
No way will they discontinue such a new model for which they have spent so much. As @Abhi7013 mentions the 7 seater will probably be priced much higher than Hexa and will cater to a different segment
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 16:51   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,245
Thanked: 2,652 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Yes the Hexa needs to co-exist and there in comes the product positioning dilema vs. the 7 seater H5X version. Actually with one being ladder frame and the other being Mono chassis it would seem that for all they would be different propositions. But the real world does not think about technicalities like these.

What may happen is that Hexa top variants and 4x4 may disappear and it may remain in 13-19L OTR while H5X 7 seater may be in 17-23L OTR space.

This of course is not desirable as Hexa is likely to continue to have the better ride while being more rugged. Of course due to weight difference the H5X will be more capable in off-road conditions

Last edited by ACM : 9th February 2018 at 16:54.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 17:16   #29
BHPian
 
amrutmhatre90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 170
Thanked: 670 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Listen to the Roar of Tigor JTP open the below twitter link. I m in love with the sound it makes already.

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2018, 00:49   #30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ernakulam
Posts: 8
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

True. It's a bit disappointing to see Tata ignoring Zest and Bolt completely and placing them in the Taxi segment alone. Tata definitely needs to revamp Zest for the sub four metre segment at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
No mention of an upgraded Zest is a tad disappointment............

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th February 2018 at 08:10. Reason: edited for better readability
raghulsudheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kia Motors @ Auto Expo 2018 blackwasp The 2018 Auto Expo 44 15th February 2018 07:57
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 @ Auto Expo 2018 TusharK The 2018 Auto Expo 19 12th February 2018 13:19
Tata Racemo @ Auto Expo 2018 Aditya The 2018 Auto Expo 4 11th February 2018 22:01
JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo TusharK Commercial Vehicles 2 27th November 2017 23:42
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks