Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 8th July 2011, 06:09   #46
BANNED

Default Re: Individual OTRs Kills team spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The problem is that villagers/cops do not want their illegal activities to be exposed, so are wary of offroaders.
Frankly I dont think so , this may be true for some pockets / areas . I think this is not doing justice with the community at large . Villagers are people just like us doing day today struggle to meet ends --Just Like Us

there are illegal activities everywhere ,at every corner , not just in villages , but yes I have experienced what you said but its very RARE

We need to understand that 'we' are essentially are the guests in their backyard not 'them '. 'We' enter their premises , so firstly its essentially 'us' to behave & learn & respect the local ways of life .

So please do not paint everyone in the same colour . If the offroader community wants its activity to be continued we need to have some better understanding of the locals , otherwise we will see a hostile response everywhere & we will be taking refuge in closed stadiums ( Like motocross ) for our stunts

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 06:41   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The premise of the argument is a farse. The problem is that villagers/cops do not want their illegal activities to be exposed, so are wary of offroaders.

So statements like "Private vehicles causing inconvience are plain silly". Inconvenience to whom? Smugglers?
Its a bit differently than that.

I'm part of the gurgaon cyclists that you are alluding to, the Pedalyatris.

We've got certain trails where very few cars venture (some where they cant). There are trails that have been semi-ruined because of the reckless behavior of individuals - both trucks that want to save 15km of driving by going across 2-3km of hills or doing god knows what, and guys doing OTRs.

Most folks (like whatever little i've seen of from arka/NIOC etc) are sensible/composed but some people can be really brutal on the trail.

When we as cyclists (occasional visitors) can have our blood boil at the way some of them ride roughshod over the terrain, I fully sympathize with villagers getting pissed.

I mean, the villagers don't come with their 4x4 tractors and do donuts in our parks, do they? but we do the exact opposite.

/will now don fireproof suit n hide
//meant more about the testosterone driven junkies than sensible offroaders like arka etc (whom i've been out once with)
//+10000 to Sudarshan
phamilyman is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 08:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
After the newbies are chased down and their jeeps confiscated, they came running back to the larger group as we witnessed, and then we seniors had to rescue and bail them out out of that situation. THEN its was our funeral too
Agreed but i think rogue's vehicles should be left behind for them to come and rescue themselves. That will; make them learn the value of discipline, again, easily said than done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
+1 about engaging newbies more. Remember old teachers adage : if you make the truant child monitor of the class problems disappear. Make more people marshals they will learn and be engaged.
Involving newbies as marshals is a very dangerous proposition. Imagine a newbie trying to spot. Any marshal in an event is understood to be an experienced person of some repute, having considerable knowledge about that sport/event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Prithvi, MPSreeni, Dwarka,

Why not pack up and head home when the OTR finishes before the scheduled time?

Most of the OTR eventualities happen when the OTR is about to finish, we get euphoric, and then get stuck well and truly.

This has happened in all OTR Groups across the country.

Regards,

Arka
I completely agree. This happens everytime. One must learn to stop when the trail is over and not get overtly involved, getting the rest of the gang into trouble. This is also the time when most mishaps (as in getting stuck) happen

I think OTRs should be done with permission and in a manageable group with like minded persons
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:01   #49
BANNED

Exclamation Re: Individual OTRs Kills team spirit

Update ; Are 'WE' Next ? ( based on a news in a local daily )

This is what happens when things go out of hand ( when people exceed limits ) & grab 'UNWANTED ATTENTION '

In the light of the recent incidents in Pune District ( Maharashtra ) particularly the Rave parties going on in the Rural remote corners , the district Police have imposed serious restrictions ( on Parties offcourse )

Permission of district police --MANDATORY , even if the party goes on a private land/ farm house ( even private organised outings are feared to be falling under this )

a) list of participants & mo. numbers
b) Video taping of the party
c) permission from the concerned dept if 'Drinks' are being served
d) responsibility of the organisers towards unlawful activity

This means that the Authorities are IN & as usual there will be procedures for permissions & there will be ' Some more procedure ' for speedy disposal of your request

This also means that ( by practical experience & Applications ) that the 'Rich & Famous ' & the ' rock bottom' ( local xx people ) are excluded as both classes have regular 'Interaction ' with the administration

There is a saying in Marathi--- the cure will kill the patient not the disease -- this is going to be true

So boys have fun , do some doughnuts ( excuse for spelling ) , enter reservoirs ,drive through fields ,have some FUN with some energy liquids , do some wild rain dance , do whatever because it will be for a while --- we ARE next

Gone are the days of going on an outing with few close friends & unwinding oneself - because I wont be getting a Permission ( not that I wont get 'IT" but I refuse to use the clout or payup )

Just for reference :--

for the members who can read Marathi this is an original script from a No. 1 daily of Pune , to have some better understanding

Name:  BHP1.jpg
Views: 2750
Size:  297.6 KB

Individual OTRs Kills team spirit-bhp2.jpg

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 10th July 2011 at 10:19.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 11:27   #50
BHPian

I think America faced similar challenges when Rock'n'Roll and "youth culture" started flowering in the 50s.

Wonder how the story will unfold in India.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 13:24   #51
BHPian

@ Sudarshan

This is exactly what I fear and tried to explain in my earlier post.

If the sport is not self-regulated and carried out as a free for all (read irresponsible and insensitive) activity, it destroys the good name of the sport. Sooner or later this invites retribution and restrictions (mostly unreasonable and cumbersome) from authorities.

The worst part of these regulations is that they become tools of harassment (and corruption), directed against the well behaved and normal enthusiast, while the rogue elements continue with their mischievous ways unabated and still go substantially scot-free.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 06:54   #52
BANNED

All the Worst fears have come true , but in effect, in the reverse order ---team events killing individual OTRs ???

Dear all , this is the recent development some where in western Maharashtra

The news that came in Local Papers ( In Local Language Marathi ) in short

An Event was disrupted due to forest dept action , for entering in to restricted forest Lands

This event was going on , some where near Mumbai , According to the news this was in an area declared as Eco Sensitive Zone by the Supreme court orders , where one can not enter even on foot , This is since Last 10 years --- the news says

Claims of Damage

1) Trees damaged , saplings damaged / destroyed

2) Nallas, streams changed their natural Path

3) New vehicle tracks on Grass Lands --forest lands

4) Threat to environment

Individual OTRs Kills team spirit-k11.jpg

Individual OTRs Kills team spirit-k2.jpg

Individual OTRs Kills team spirit-sakalbhp1.jpg

for me this is a question of the survival of the offroading sport & community all together --- what is next , I mean the music to face when we go OTR every time

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 08:23   #53
Team-BHP Support

Can somebody please translate the headlines of these paper cut-outs.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 08:43   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
yes this can be , but word to word translation / presentation of the news is not my aim , I have given a short version in points , but yes any Marathi member can translate / verify this . My shorter version omits names ( I felt it was necessary to keep the discussion to the point )
Clarification
these are from the renowned news media , I have only put it here for the record & to substantiate my words . Just for reference
I have also Put this here , so that no one could say I am lying

I feel if we want to maintain our dignity , Quality & community such things need not be hushed up -- but thought upon seriously , Names are not Important , what happened & what can IS

Sudarshan
P.S. Please refer to my earlier post # 49 --- I think I was crying foul -- 50 odd innocent people got collared for nothing

Last edited by Sudarshan : 17th July 2012 at 08:47.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 08:47   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
yes this can be , but word to word translation / presentation of the news is not my aim
I merely asked for the headlines, not the entire article.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:01   #56
BANNED

Quote:
I merely asked for the headlines, not the entire article.
Ok here it is

1) Wealthy & mighty people with vehicles , play Havoc in restricted forest Lands

2) 100 acers Forest Land used for Racing ( ?? )

3) In the XX protected forest wealthy & mighty play Havoc
vehicles in race 57 in custody

sub title : youth got hit by one such Jeep on public road .

such a pain even reading this

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 09:06   #57
BHPian

@ SAMURAI :
It means:
  1. 57 vehicles impounded.
  2. Flouting Supreme Court Directives and offroading in "Prohibited Matheran Eco-sensitive Zone"
  3. Scattering of local's cattle by horms and noise.
  4. Using a dargah for reasons other than religious.
  5. Further action is imminent.
mohan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 09:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharath,

Whatever has lead to this, has very long term ramifications for the off roading community in India as a whole.

We can now load our Jeeps with winches, super engine+GB combo's, monster MT tyres and happily drive around in the cities.

In the future there will be a lot of apprehensions from the organizers as well as the participants angle.

Organizers:
Who from our own community will scuttle and screw up the event, should we hold one?

Participants: Will we be made to turn back home at the first obstacle or midway, after driving 100-1000 kms?

This has happened in Wayanad, Hyderabad and now here. Next where?

Verdict:

Winners: NONE
Losers: ENTIRE OFF ROADING COMMUNITY

Suggestions to keep the sport alive, anybody?

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 17th July 2012 at 09:12.
fazalaliadil is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 09:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the Worst fears have come true , but in effect, in the reverse order ---team events killing individual OTRs ???

Dear all , this is the recent development some where in western Maharashtra

The news that came in Local Papers ( In Local Language Marathi ) in short

An Event was disrupted due to forest dept action , for entering in to restricted forest Lands

Sudarshan
Sudarshan Ji,

Thanks for sharing this here.

As the script is ~ Hindi, I can read and understand. Some portions, the scan is not clear though.

Quote:
This event was going on , some where near Mumbai , According to the news this was in an area declared as Eco Sensitive Zone by the Supreme court orders , where one can not enter even on foot , This is since Last 10 years --- the news says
Shocking and disappointing to say the least.

Quote:
Claims of Damage

1) Trees damaged , saplings damaged / destroyed

2) Nallas, streams changed their natural Path

3) New vehicle tracks on Grass Lands --forest lands

4) Threat to environment

for me this is a question of the survival of the offroading sport & community all together --- what is next , I mean the music to face when we go OTR every time
I would suggest the people behind the forum / mods to formulate rules (if not already existing) regarding what kind of events can be publicized on open forums like T-BHP. I have noticed that some members come online only when they organize events like this, is this a coincidence?

This incident may be a forerunner of things to come. Better be safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
It means:
  1. Flouting Supreme Court Directives and offroading in "Prohibited Matheran Eco-sensitive Zone

Quote:
Using a dargah for reasons other than religious.

From Mohan's comment (and also from the comments I read somewhere on FB), I understand that the organizing committee were warned by several people, but I think they did not pay attention to it. Why so? Is this some ritual which is mandatory during every monsoon?

Sudarshan ji, any idea about the participants? I hope all of them are safe back home- especially those from Bangalore, Hyderabad. Have some good friends there who traveled all the way for participation.

Spike

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2012 at 18:00. Reason: Post edited. Thread move is still under discussion.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 09:42   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Wealthy & mighty people with vehicles , play Havoc in restricted forest Lands
2) 100 acers Forest Land used for Racing ( ?? )
3) In the XX protected forest wealthy & mighty play Havoc
vehicles in race 57 in custody

sub title : youth got hit by one such Jeep on public road .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
  1. 57 vehicles impounded.
  2. Flouting Supreme Court Directives and offroading in "Prohibited Matheran Eco-sensitive Zone"
  3. Scattering of local's cattle by horms and noise.
  4. Using a dargah for reasons other than religious.
  5. Further action is imminent.
Oh, god! I heard there was some trouble, never knew it was this bad. Is there any online English newspaper that has covered the same news?

57 vehicles impounded!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
This has happened in Wayanad, Hyderabad and now here. Next where?
Wayanad event went fine. But similar trouble happened in Puttur (Chespa ForceZ event) and Beltangady event.