Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 30th September 2011, 23:50   #1
BHPian

Default Story behind the formation of the Charminar Offroad Club

This thread is about the unusual stuff about how the members of a club came together and formed a club.

I had met most of my club members in hyderabad in an offroad event.Let me explain each one in detail

His Highness G.V.Prashanth Rao whom we affectionately call Raaja saab.

I met this person in an offroad event , he came in a honda city. I knew nothing about him. I just rebuilt my petrol Jeep then. Just got introduced to him and he thought me the basics of JEEP driving then and there.

After a long gap of 2 years after i attended a couple of out station events and thinking i knew it all, met him again.He invited me to his farm and some offroad forest trail driving .He thought me how to not strain the jeep, drive in 4wh and instilled a lot of confidence in me and i learnt new things about the JEEP.

Fast forward to the recce of our event , very deep slush . 550s with mud terrain failed(the best driver driving who won the examm mud drag). I lost it and told him there is not way our cj3a with worn out ndms could do it .He just asked me to follow his instructions and we cleared half the trail and got stuck. Then there was something he told me to do , which i refused to do and got stuck badly.Finally listened to him and got out and was shocked how i could do it.

Even in 2011 he drives his JEEP (cj3b) alone to his native with a bantam trailer full with farm produce and his dog accompanying him.

True JEEPER , who never ever got any info online, was truly born and brought up around JEEPS, can give the best of gurus a run for their money.

PROS: Basically a real world purist jeeper who does not accept anything other than a bone stock JEEP.
When i thought i knew the JEEP THING, he actually thought me what really it is .

CONS: He really has a hate to modified JEEPS with ,fat tires,roll cages and MM550s which he fondly calls trucks adn have no JEEP charm.

Will be continued.

Pics of his Highness
Attached Images

Last edited by Frankenstein : 30th September 2011 at 23:53.
Frankenstein is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 09:53   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Story behind the formation of the Charminar Offroad Club

Frankie,
Its 11 days over, please keep this live. Keep the dope rolling for arm-chair(currently) enthusiasts like me.
regards
salil
scphanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 21:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
Frankie,
Its 11 days over, please keep this live. Keep the dope rolling for arm-chair(currently) enthusiasts like me.
regards
salil

OK sir .Here goes.

The next member i am going to introduce is Bharath Reddy.
Got to know him through my cousin . I was on top of the world then and did not care much .
Fast forward , met him again at a Jeep workshop and the following week i attended a recce with my 06 prado.

Got stuck royally , since i didnt know how to drive a Prado offroad .Drove it like the JEEP . In front of my vehicle was bharath ,with one of his CJ3B. I was tensed how to get the prado out of the swamp, the exit point was atleast 400 meters and deep sush and water.

It was in that moment that he approached me and inquired what was the issue, i told him bluntly that the prado is not going to make it out
.He just got in to the drivers seat and and asked me to hop in. I wa s nervous , i had a feeling that i was the best back then, if i cant get it out , how can this middle aged man do it.
I was in for a surprise , he got out the prado so easily , totally in control and confident .It was then i felt i was a zero still.

On the next day i went in my CJ3B , he came with his CJ3B. We all hoped in to his JEEP (6 of us ), it had awesome canvas matting. I was wondering how this gentlemen was going to maintain this matting with all the slush around.
There was an incline 50 degrees steep, with loose stones (big slightly smaller than a foot ball), i was seated in the back seat observing how he would tackle the obstacle ,he shifted to 2nd low and there we go , i thought he was crazy , earlier i did that incline in my petrol jeep and it was struggling in 1st low.He was just tapping the throttle ,and we reached the top. Later i got to know he had a deadly combination of a drive train, isuzu G1 engine , 5.38 diff ratio and Mitsubishi Kia gear box( it comes in the Mitsubishi CJ3B hotchkiss).
Later on i used to meet him in Nizam club and Secunderabad club .I was a regular visitor at his work shop , 4 months of my stay in Hyderabd , in which 12 hours a day i was with him ignoring my business ,factories , family etc.His dad was a D.I.G who was also a great JEEP restorer in Hyderabad back in the day.They had a fleet of Jeeps back then
like CJ2A,CJ3A,CJ5 and CJ6. Bharath has seen it all , heaps of CJ5s,CJ6s /Ford /MBs back then (late 80s).He was a pilot by profession in the USA .Came back to India in 2001 and started to rebuild/restore Jeeps to their former glory (actually 100 times better than their original glory).Today he is got a collection of immaculately restored JEEPS , the best i have seen in INDIA.
Some of his collection starts from the Willys MB,M38,M38A1,CJ5(2 nos), CJ6(2nos), Cj3b (3 nos),Jeep wrangler YJ,and 4 to 6 JEEPS being restored or ready to be restored + a half a dozen original bantam trailers.

He restores them with such accuracy to minute detail , has a lot of patience.

PROS,is a real world know it all , no body can match his quality/precision and detailing .
Cons, hates Ford GPW, too boring otherwise, only thing which you find him interesting is JEEPS .He works 365 days a year with JEEPS , morning 10 am to evening 9 pm. Can sometimes be a pain for he sees to it that even minor jobs like replacing a flat tyre is done perfectly. He is disooned by his family and some of his friends for the crime of loving his JEEPS .
He is currently rebuilding my CJ6 on demand .He does modifications , but only when his customers strongly demand so( customers being only his family and close friends). He badly tries to de- moralize you with respect to all the mods, but if your stubborn , he does it, only the tried and tested mods with no compromise .You will have the best JEEP.
He is a 365 day JEEP THING who dedicated his life for JEEPS.

Ps, This is not an attempt to showoff or hype, just a honest opinion and experience of a new Jeeper with online support like many of our firends here.

Posting some pics from his collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Story behind the formation of the Charminar Offroad Club-img_4753.jpg  

Story behind the formation of the Charminar Offroad Club-img_2084.jpg  

Story behind the formation of the Charminar Offroad Club-img_2954.jpg  

Last edited by Frankenstein : 15th October 2011 at 22:19.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 22:20   #4
BHPian

Frankie,
Is there a temple dedicated to this god...... I'd like to go and pay my respects there.
regards
salil
scphanse is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 15:35   #5
BHPian

Hello Frankie, The reason for coming up with a new jeep club is still missing. What exactly compelled you to come up with this new club. i agree that you have met some great jeepers but you could have joined the existing clubs with your existing partners. Is the membership of your club open to take new members or its confined to your close friends and relatives?
adnan_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 19:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan_1212 View Post
Hello Frankie, The reason for coming up with a new jeep club is still missing. What exactly compelled you to come up with this new club. i agree that you have met some great jeepers but you could have joined the existing clubs with your existing partners. Is the membership of your club open to take new members or its confined to your close friends and relatives?
Hi adnan, the reason is coming up .What are the existing clubs ?
We had all the resources to start a new club and wanted to do it in a different level.
You can join the club, i will post the details shortly.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 23:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
We had all the resources to start a new club and wanted to do it in a different level.
By existing clubs i mean to say the Jeep Thrills and any other which i may not be aware. Anyways thanks for the invitation to join your club, i will be glad, and glued to this thread to know the reasons.
adnan_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 02:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan_1212 View Post
Wanna know the reason? He pissed arka off usually its the other way around for us mortal folks.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 01:19   #9
BHPian

Frankie Please continue the story! I'm waiting to see all the Jeeps,the story's behind them and the Owners.
I have already checked the thread 'Jeeps of charminar offroad club' and they are just ... well they left me speechless.
Acclero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 23:46   #10
BHPian

The next new member is Narayan Reddy of the famed Bharath motors.

I met him when i was restoring my petrol Jeep.Just when i lost hope , i heard about him. He was in the USA with his kids then. I waited for 2 months for him to return to India, He overhauled my Hurricane engine and the result was , all the real world Jeepers were stunned, the smothness, the firing, the power, it does 130km/hr with a 3 speed tranny and 5.38 Diff ratio.

He is considered the nirvana of Jeep mechanics among the Best Jeep collectors Hyderabad has seen.
He has overhauled 1000 hurricane engines, 300 Kirloskar RET4 engines, 100 Mercedes OM616 engines and dime a dozen Go Devil engines.
Even today the best of the Jeep Gurus swear by him. He has been my co driver in Aavalakonda 2011 and AKC axamm. We consider his decision final.
Today in 2011 he has got 10 to 15 Hurricanes and Go devils waiting to be restored and 10 engines ready overhauled on the shelf. He s so down to earth , M38, M38A1, CJ2A,CJ3A,CJ5,CJ6 are a common sight in his workshop.

They are the only people along with his brothers , Sudhakar,Vignesh , Venkat who still do a quality Job , XD3p turbo etc.
His daily drive is a willys cj3b.
What the gurus mention here by the help of google and PDFs they teach us with their experience.

Its a once in a life time chance to drive Jeeps restored by him, steering, breaks, gearbox , total bliss.
Old 1st November 2011, 08:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
OK sir .Here goes.

The next member i am going to introduce is Bharath Reddy.
Got to know him through my cousin . I was on top of the world then and did not care much .
Fast forward , met him again at a Jeep workshop and the following week i attended a recce with my 06 prado.

Posting some pics from his collection.
I have been to this mans Garage in search of a painter and I found out that that guy charges 60k for a paint job and I felt it was too much. Then I was ambling around as it was Diwali time and no work was actually being done there. So I went into the garage and lifted the covers of one of the beasts in there. I choose the ones that looked slightly smaller as i knew by the size and shape that they were vintage and the classic jeeps.

It is then that I realized what that 60k went into. It was a wonderfully smooth and lovely looking coat of green and I ran my fingers over it. It was like silk. I just lifted the covers a little more to see the interiors and boy i must say they would have been better than the factory condition jeeps.

I came to know about Bharath Reddy through Sudhakar Anna, my Bullet Mechanic and Bullet Guru. I was so over myself that i went to each one of the jeeps and started lifting the covers and saw to my amazement that there were lovely lovely ones there and there were some new ones with large tires but they could not keep my attention. I kept going back to the old and wonderfully restored ones and I was looking at my Jeep standing outside and wondering when it will be that I will get my Jeep into that condition.
teja484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 20:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja484 View Post
I have been to this mans Garage in search of a painter and I found out that that guy charges 60k for a paint job and I felt it was too much. Then I was ambling around as it was Diwali time and no work was actually being done there. So I went into the garage and lifted the covers of one of the beasts in there. I choose the ones that looked slightly smaller as i knew by the size and shape that they were vintage and the classic jeeps.

It is then that I realized what that 60k went into. It was a wonderfully smooth and lovely looking coat of green and I ran my fingers over it. It was like silk. I just lifted the covers a little more to see the interiors and boy i must say they would have been better than the factory condition jeeps.

I came to know about Bharath Reddy through Sudhakar Anna, my Bullet Mechanic and Bullet Guru. I was so over myself that i went to each one of the jeeps and started lifting the covers and saw to my amazement that there were lovely lovely ones there and there were some new ones with large tires but they could not keep my attention. I kept going back to the old and wonderfully restored ones and I was looking at my Jeep standing outside and wondering when it will be that I will get my Jeep into that condition.
Teju484 i heard a lot about Sudhakar anna , i have to give my Royal Enfield to him for a checkup.

Which Jeep you have?

Bharath generally harasses the painter, even one bolt needs to be painted individually and every nook and corner will be checked . I feel bad for the painter.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 14th November 2011 at 20:03.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Teju484 i heard a lot about Sudhakar anna , i have to give my Royal Enfield to him for a checkup.

Which Jeep you have?

Bharath generally harasses the painter, even one bolt needs to be painted individually and every nook and corner will be checked . I feel bad for the painter.
Hi Frankenstein,

I recently bought Spyder's 1972 Mahindra CJ3B. It has an International Diesel Engine and looks ok. I am considering some modifications/repair as the gearbox rattles a hell lot when in 4WD Low and when on a steep incline. Otherwise I am doing fine with the off-roading aspect of the Jeep. Yeah the top speed is less but most of my long trips are in the Indigo CS and I am fine with it. I wanted the best engine for off-roading and it seems to be fine. Maybe slightly fatter tires will give me more traction as I have a lot of wheel spin and the tire seems to dig up a crevice each time it is faced with a tough spot. Sudhakar Anna is pretty good and I am rebuilding the engine of my 1988 350 Standard sometime soon. Let me know when we can touch base and I will meet you at his shop in Bansilal pet. About his work, he is a conservative and does a good job. Only he is short on labor and refuses most jobs unless you persuade him and give him the time. He is the most honest mechanic I have come across in all of hyd. You can call me on 9866252793 on most mornings and 040-66378621 during the evenings.

I would like to meet you(Charminar off road club) some time soon as I see that you are a no non-sense group and I am happier in such company. Also I feel a little jittery on going in a single Jeep for off-road escapades. Two is company and three is even better company:-).

Please leave me your number and I will call you.
teja484 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 00:01   #14
BHPian

The president of our club , Nawab Salik Khan, rather known as Salik Bhai or Salik Nawab .

This person is totally different . He has a collection of Jeeps, CJ3A, FORD GPW, CJ5/CJ6 /MM550 , FJ40 /CJ3B /XENON 4X4 and the likes. Though he has BMWs and the likes, he still is fond of the Jeep.

He is an excellent cook , shows awesome hospitality and is there for anyone who needs help. Too much to learn from him, guess it takes ages, he trains his 2 boys (domestic help) , they too know every thing about offroad, be it recovery , spotting , camp fires / cooking etc .. He is really a sport even at the age of 45. Can beat most of us young guys are energy levels and technique. His unique taste in building Jeeps and his farmhouse is a must for all offroaders and Pandits to experience.

He has seen it all from owning palaces, baby rolls royces and the likes. We are very lucky to have a person like our Beloved Salik bhai to lead us .

Some of his offroad rides

CJ6 with isuzu G1
MM550 with xd3P TURBO
fj40 With qualis engine, now being rebuilt with the nissan rd28 engine
CJ3a with the godevil
and many more to come.

Pics of his CJ5/GPW/XENON and other offroaders which he does not even mention coming up.
I always thought about the attitude Royal people have, but wait until you meet this true gentlemen , you will be spell bound. You will appreciate the class/hospitality/experience which is a dream for most of us .
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03704.JPG (96.3 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by Frankenstein : 4th December 2011 at 00:22.
Old 21st December 2011, 17:58   #15
BHPian

Hi Frank,
I too have a FJ40 in the same colour.
PLanning to redo it completely.
can i have the details of Mr.salik nawab please to get more info on restoration of my FJ.
Attach is a pic.
Thanks
A.H
Farooq
Attached Thumbnails
Story behind the formation of the Charminar Offroad Club-p9020442.jpg  

ferrariKSA is offline   Reply With Quote