Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 8th February 2012, 14:15   #16
BHPian

Default Re: R&T Great Mountain Challenge 2012

Hi Robinson, is the track man made or natural trail, how long is the track?

Water crossing, do low bonnet Jeeps require snorkel ?
How is NDMS performing ?

I am in for this .
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 18:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Hi Robinson, is the track man made or natural trail, how long is the track?

Water crossing, do low bonnet Jeeps require snorkel ?
How is NDMS performing ?

I am in for this .

Hi Sandeep,
Its a natural track. The water level on SS2 will be low but slushy at this point of time. Bigger MT's will have advantage, but no worries, you will not get stuck with NDMS.

Please coordinate with Benji for registration and acco if you require.

We will be closing on the Reg: by 18th.

Regards
robinson.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 11:30   #18
BHPian

Robinson,

I am there in Kumily on 14th, will personally visit the place and register in.
jmvivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 19:58   #19
BHPian

Talked to Nikhil today and I am in for the event. Thanks once again Robinson for the info.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:28   #20
BHPian

Dear Participants,

Thank you for completing the registration formalities on time.

Looking forward to seeing you all for the event.

Let me state the final format of the event. We have changed the structure of the trail, as the track is rather dry now; the expected slushy patches and water bodies are almost nil.

The event is to be conducted on a private estate (same as planned earlier), which is about 8kms form the base camp.

Event Schedule:

8th March Registration starts at 5pm
9pm Drawing of lots for order of start on 9th
Those participants who have registered on 8th evening before 8.30pm will be eligible for drawing lots. The others will be allotted.

Day 1 9th March)

8:00 am Briefing
8:30 am Flag off.

Each team according to the lots drawn previous night will be called and allotted to their respective stage marshals who will take them to the stage.
Convoy drive on Tarmac (2Kms) and get into the medium off road stretch of 6kms with one slushy obstacle and assemble at the private estate.

We will have four special stages and all stages will start simultaneously at 9.30.

Special Stage 1
It is a tight curvy incline with separate entry and exit. Both the team vehicles are to compete this SS separately within the stipulated time. The Team vehicle and co-drivers are to do spotting and recovery if /when required.

Special Stage 2
It is a curvy, rocky incline which require 100% spotting. Both the team vehicles are to complete this SS within the stipulated time. The entry and exit are at the same spot. This will be a challenging SS. The drivers are advised to be very careful on throttle input, as excess throttle input could result in toppling of the vehicle/axle breakage.

Special Stage 3
This will be a slushy patch. We will have the recovery team on this SS. The participants could use them for recovery which will be part of the given time for the SS.

Special Stage 4
This is a unique SS which will have a run in the forward direction and then in reverse drive

SS allotted time & Point calculation
SS 1 - 10 mnts
SS 2 - 15 mnts
SS 3 - 10 mnts
SS 4 - 10 mnts

On completion of each SS within the given time, the team will get 200 points. (100 points each vehicle)
100 points = -20 sec which will be carry forwarded for the next days speed run

Penalty points

The SS will have the flags. If the vehicle hits the flag and it falls, the team will have minus 25 points (-5 sec). These will be calculated towards the final tally of the overall scoring.

We expect all the four special stages to be completed by 3 pm. After that all the vehicles in a convoy will drive to the rock climb spot for short adventure trail and group photograph.

All of us will return to the base camp and assemble at 7:00pm for the barbeque party. We will be announcing the best special stage timings for all four SS.

We will be running some short national and international videos during the barbeque party. Contributions from the participants are welcome. Please bring it in a pen drive or hard drive and give it to the O Team before the party.

DAY 2

All the participants to finish breakfast and assemble at the base camp at 8:30am. There will be another lot taken for the day 2 drive.

This will be 2.5kms (aprox) of speed run, where participants will use 4H and 4L during the drive. The stretch will have long runs, inclines, slush, boulders and ruts. Both vehicles will participate for the speed run.
The 2nd vehicle will be flagged off after 30 seconds from the first vehicle.

The team vehicle and co drivers are to support the team for recovery and spotting as/when required.

We plan to complete the speed run by 2pm. Post that, all the participants will be given a free run on the trail. During this period, organizers will tabulate the points and timing.

We will have the prize distribution at 3:30pm at the same place and finish by 5pm.

Wishing all the participants best of luck.

Call us for any clarification.

Regards
robinson.s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 13:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Robinson,

Missing out on this event, due to family commitments, mentioned to you personally.

The track is challenging enough to get in seasoned off roaders. Random photographs of the terrain would help guys who are in and out, to get a feel of what is in store.

Wishing you and event the very best.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 14:43   #22
BHPian

Each team according to the lots drawn previous night etc

I am in for the event, but the issue ,I don't have a partner vehicle. Will be driving down from Coorg for the event!!!. Do we have the Bangalore team driving down to Kerala. If yes, Can i join you guys.

Special Stage 1

All excited

"Special Stage 2
It is a curvy, rocky incline which require 100% spotting. The drivers are advised to be very careful on throttle input, as excess throttle input could result in toppling of the vehicle/axle breakage."

YIKES, SCARY AS I HAVEN"T DONE ROCK CLIMBING AS YET. HOPE I COME BACK IN ONE PIECE.
Will ask the experts for some guidance.

Special Stage 3
This will be a slushy patch. We will have the recovery team on this SS.
SHOULD EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED , I GUESS

Special Stage 4

Exciting, once again
jmvivek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Robinson,

Missing out on this event, due to family commitments, mentioned to you personally.

The track is challenging enough to get in seasoned off roaders. Random photographs of the terrain would help guys who are in and out, to get a feel of what is in store.

Wishing you and event the very best.
Regards,
Will miss you for the event sir. We have plans during monsoon, a hard core adventure trail. Will keep you posted.

This is the same trail which we did during sept, but now its dry, will not have the similar feel.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...am-kerala.html (Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala))

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...challenge.html (R&T and Pas-Sear 4x4 Challenge)

[quote=jmvivek;2688628]Each team according to the lots drawn previous night etc

I am in for the event, but the issue ,I don't have a partner vehicle. Will be driving down from Coorg for the event!!!. Do we have the Bangalore team driving down to Kerala. If yes, Can i join you guys.

There are people driving from Bangalore. You may join them.

Regards
robinson.s is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Robinson,

Thanks.

Saw the monsoon video links and they are definitely enticing. Pray I am there in Kerala for the monsoon event. Just love the place but been to Cochin just for a day and flew back the same evening (work related).

Looking forward to that adventure trial.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:29   #25
BHPian

There are people driving from Bangalore. You may join them.

Thnx Robinson. I apologize first of all to flood you with queries. Its just due to my lack of knowledge on such events since being a newcomer to professional off-road meets. The max I have done offroading is in mine and my friends farms/estates in Coorg and Idukki. My vehicle got the no12 badge for the 2012 annuals Bangalore offroad event and I cannot explain the excitement and pride I had being into this.

I plan to do all major offroad events possible with my MM540 and hope to slowly, but steadily for sure, learn and understand the limitations and capabilities of machine and myself on such feats. This would help me in-turn, build upon such experiences and learn the intricacies and techniques involved, hands on , and also strengthen my machine in the area that would help overcome each type of obstacle/challenge such off-road tracks provide.

In fact , I am traveling to be at my farm at Thekkady, today and planning to bring back my gypsy to Bangalore for Khan sir's review /advise on step by step upgrades. Need to bother Khan sir for this by calling on him.

Since my current status has restrictions, could you please provide me a contact info to catch up with the Bangalore team going in for this event. Also, Can you advise me as to how I can get in touch with Khan sir, if its not too much of a bother.
jmvivek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
Each team according to the lots drawn previous night etc

Special Stage 1

All excited

"Special Stage 2
It is a curvy, rocky incline which require 100% spotting. The drivers are advised to be very careful on throttle input, as excess throttle input could result in toppling of the vehicle/axle breakage."

YIKES, SCARY AS I HAVEN"T DONE ROCK CLIMBING AS YET. HOPE I COME BACK IN ONE PIECE.
Will ask the experts for some guidance.

Special Stage 3
This will be a slushy patch. We will have the recovery team on this SS.
SHOULD EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED , I GUESS

Special Stage 4

Exciting, once again
Hi,
Me and my friend Thomas will be driving down for the event on 8th morning 8am from Bangalore in THAR CRDe.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 10:32   #27
BHPian

Me and my friend Thomas will be driving down for the event on 8th morning 8am from Bangalore in THAR CRDe

Rajith, Thnx for the info. I have an MM540 and just getting the crown/pinion to the 8.43 set. I am not sure about the top speed after the same and I guess will not be able to catch up with the required momentum that you both would prefer. Will team up with you guys at the resort at Kuttikkanam on 8th evening. Will drive down from Coorg through Virajpet, Makutta, Calicut,Angamaly,Thodupuzha,Muttam and from Muttam take the scenninc shortcut uphill through Elavizhapunchira , Elappara, Wagamon and finally Kuttikkanam.

Is it only three of us from Bangalore or do we have any other guys joining in from Bangalore.

Kind Regards
Old 27th February 2012, 17:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
Me and my friend Thomas will be driving down for the event on 8th morning 8am from Bangalore in THAR CRDe

Rajith, Thnx for the info. I have an MM540 and just getting the crown/pinion to the 8.43 set. I am not sure about the top speed after the same and I guess will not be able to catch up with the required momentum that you both would prefer. Will team up with you guys at the resort at Kuttikkanam on 8th evening. Will drive down from Coorg through Virajpet, Makutta, Calicut,Angamaly,Thodupuzha,Muttam and from Muttam take the scenninc shortcut uphill through Elavizhapunchira , Elappara, Wagamon and finally Kuttikkanam.

Is it only three of us from Bangalore or do we have any other guys joining in from Bangalore.

Kind Regards
Hi,
The route which you have mentioned above will take @ 20 to 22hrs min to reach the OTR location, dont laugh at it now. Coorg to calicut is a night mare due to bad roads,mini/long buses & ricks, then its a snake bend road and a 5.38 with you. Try some other route or start on 7th. I think via bangalore will be more better.

Last edited by Rajith : 27th February 2012 at 17:18.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 21:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,
The route which you have mentioned above will take @ 20 to 22hrs min to reach the OTR location, dont laugh at it now. Coorg to calicut is a night mare due to bad roads,mini/long buses & ricks\... Try some other route or start on 7th.

Thanks Rajith, in fact you got me to laugh hard on the 20-22hrs drive. I really do appreciate your concern and I very well know this route at the back of my mind and is exactly backbreaking as you mentioned, in fact I had broken my front left leaves twice at Eritty just before entering the Makutta ghats twice. The route mentioned is a regular drive for me at-least once a month , to & fro, from my house at Coorg to my farm at Thekkady,Kerala for the past two years. I normally drive my MM540,gypsyMG410W or Scorpio. I felt my MM540 to be the most comfortable barring the non-ac feature and normally takes 13 hours to cover the distance at one go. I love the twists & turns and ghats section drive the very best both at Makutta after Virajpet and the drive up from 1000ft at Muttam, Thodupuzha to 4000 ft at Wagamon/kuttikanam in less than 30kms. Used to do the same stretch in Scorpio in 10 hours. Sounds insane I guess,and thats pretty much what people around me tell me too, but I still look forward to such drives and when I get bored I explore other routes through Ooty,Sathymangalam, munnar(where I busted my older 540 engine) .

Thanks once again for your concern, and going by your hint, I might take the Bangalore route, but with the 5.3 diff, I guess you are pretty safe avoiding me even if I am on that route. Will definitely catch up with you at the event in Kuttikkanam. I was just in from the same place yesterday and the weather early morning and late evening is chill cool ,better than Coorg & Bangalore and gets pretty hot between 10am and 3pm. I drove in with my Gypsy and left this at Surakhsha,Bommanahalli for some work on the back differential and other stuff.

Offlate, Lots of police checking , mainly during offpeak hours, at the Krishnagiri toll post, then just after you cross Theni town and then again at the 6 kms ghats to Kumily from lower periyar. Cops search for liquor stuff mainly. Make sure you carry all the necessary papers. Happy driving till then
Old 1st March 2012, 21:17   #30
BHPian

Hope the preparations are on full swing for this event down there in Kuttikkanam. I am all pepped up, just reached back Madikeri, Coorg yesterday and straightaway took my MM540 for the diff upgrade(more of a back to old times with the 8.43 setup). Just got back the vehicle today evening. Little bit of white smoke from the exhaust and feel less power(rev flattening out in my own laymans' term) , moving on to 3rd and 4th(final) gear.Mechanic suspects fuel pump issue. As no good technicians available around Madikeri, will have take it to Kannur which is a good 3hrs drive from here.

It will be good to know the broad details on who all will be joining in for the event .
I am in and done payment for two people and two days stay at the Misty M. Funny thing is I have my own accomodation just 30 kms across Kuttikanam, near to Thekkady , but just don't want to miss a single thing on the event.

Thanks Robinson and Nikhil for all the help.