Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 22nd May 2012, 12:03   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Off-Roading with Land Rovers & Range Rovers at Eastnor Castle, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Wow..awesome stuff.
I was under the impression that Evoque is softroader like others until now.Man this can put many of the proper off roaders to shame forget the softroaders.
Well, as GTO mentioned above, it is a soft-roader and is positioned as a life style 4x4 SUV for urban folks who want to experience the Range Rover SUVs in a compact form and not necessarily do hard core off-roading. For a soft-roader, it is reasonably capable machine.

Quote:
..@Khan: even though the Evoque completed the trail i thought there were couple of under hits. did it?
Yes, there were hits to the underbody of the Evoque. The deep rutted trail at times did scrape the underbody and one could hear the scraping clearly. Remember that the Evoque doesn't have the capability to lift itself up and has limited suspension travel. However,there was full underbody cladding on the Evoques and that prevented any damage to the underbody. (The underbody cladding is an option extra that one can fit on the Evoque)
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I still think it's a soft-roader. Remember, the trail was relatively easy. You can see it's tyres up in the air in one of the pics, and Khan did post on the tyre slipping as well. Electronics can help you, but it certainly won't match the more serious machines when it comes to 4-wheeling.

Apart from the electronics is the size of Evoque helping it?
Also one more query: I read that body on frame is better than mono when it comes to off roading, how does this really help?
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

There will be a day when the screen shows the terrain ahead of you and either tells you the way to go through or you can draw on the screen and let the vehicle handle it
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Off-Roading with Land Rovers & Range Rovers at Eastnor Castle, UK

You are one lucky guy, got a chance to experience both Jaguar and Land Rover !!

The techno wizardry of these cars fascinates me, but at the same time I feel that nowadays manufacturers are going overboard with all the facilities given in the car. ESP, hill descent control, ascent control, up-down suspension and what not. Somewhere it takes the fun out of driving a car.

If the car does all this by itself, then what is the driver's skill in driving the car? Call me old fashioned, but I feel there is much more fun in controlling a car half clutch on an incline with 1st gear engaged and creeping forward; rather than having a car with automatic gears and which senses inclines and holds the brakes for itself!!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:20   #35
BHPian

I would not want to take anything away from the Engineering and Finesse that goes into building these awesome vehicles, by any of my comments, BUT:

- Firstly, for someone who is very fond of over-coming obstacles through skill and execution (or the lack of these), these vehicles don't seem to be as much fun. This may not be a very important criteria for a large part of buyers.

- Secondly, what is the reliability and resilience of so much electronics over repeated Off-Road use? After all, as we all know, Off-Road can be VERY damaging to your vehicles. This criteria has a long-term implication, and can impact the maintainability of the vehicle. Mostly referring to the Evoque for this point.

- Thirdly, but most importantly, my LIMITED experience tells me that a visual Recce (and sometimes walking the trail) is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Cameras and LCD Screens with a 2-D display will never enable a driver to understand the true contours of the trail ahead. This can lead to potentially dangerous driving decisions.

By the way, the things I would love to integrate on my 4x4:
- Air Suspension
- Full underbody Skid Plates
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:44   #36
F50
Senior - BHPian

Perfect person for the perfect event. Super stuff, Khansaheb!

Reading on...
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:05   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
..Also one more query: I read that body on frame is better than mono when it comes to off roading, how does this really help?
The flex in a body-on-ladder-frame is supposedly better compared to a monocoque construction and that helps in offroad situations. For making modifications to an offroad, a ladder type is easy to work on and lifts etc are easy to do.
However, increasingly most SUVs are going the monocoque way for various factors -- that goes beyond just offroad requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
..If the car does all this by itself, then what is the driver's skill in driving the car? Call me old fashioned, but I feel there is much more fun in controlling a car half clutch on an incline with 1st gear engaged and creeping forward; rather than having a car with automatic gears and which senses inclines and holds the brakes for itself!!
Well, the real skill is in making enough money to buy one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
...- Firstly, for someone who is very fond of over-coming obstacles through skill and execution (or the lack of these), these vehicles don't seem to be as much fun. This may not be a very important criteria for a large part of buyers.
Exactly, these are luxury machines and the set of folks who will buy these and use them would have different needs & priorities from them. These are vehicles which can do cross country drives in luxury, be your daily drives in town and also do offroad.

Quote:
- Secondly, what is the reliability and resilience of so much electronics over repeated Off-Road use? After all, as we all know, Off-Road can be VERY damaging to your vehicles. This criteria has a long-term implication, and can impact the maintainability of the vehicle. Mostly referring to the Evoque for this point.
Good point. Too much of electronics and you need to be careful of where you take them. However, the LR range has a 700 mm of wading depth capability -- and that is quite reasonable. Except maybe water, I think the electronics would be as reliable (or not) as in any normal driving condition. Also, we should note that most people who buy these machines would not be buying them for how we use Jeep/Gypsy in offroad. If I may say, many of the Range Rovers or Evoque or DISCO may not see mud/slush in their lifetime.

Quote:
- Thirdly, but most importantly, my LIMITED experience tells me that a visual Recce (and sometimes walking the trail) is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Cameras and LCD Screens with a 2-D display will never enable a driver to understand the true contours of the trail ahead. This can lead to potentially dangerous driving decisions.
All the electronics & ancillary aids can't be a substitute for the human eye. It's after you have done the visual recce that you can use the electronic aids to see where your tyres are relative to the terrain. Not a bad thing to have IMHO.
khan_sultan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:42   #38
BHPian

Awesome review Khan saab, I am already a fan of yours and secretly read your experiences on 4X4s, this review has added another feather in the cap

Having said that I have been fortunate enough to drive Evoque and Freelander for considerable distances to satisfy my craving and dream to own these fantastic machines some day, however we hardly get an opportunity to thrash these pricey machines in mud & sling to understand their true potential.

I have attended one driving experience prog. run by BMW sometime back in Gurgaon, it was an amazing and very learningful experience. I would love to attend the similar offroading event by LR someday, that would certainly help the British marque to secure their feet here.
(Sincerely hope JLR reads this) !
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:59   #39
BHPian

That is the coolest thing in the world! I can just imagine your excitement! Being in the British countryside and having a go at all those beautiful machines!

Simply love the Land Rover on the rocks!

P.S. - The Evoque sure does look exquisite!!
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:24   #40
Team-BHP Support

Cant stop coming back to this thread again and again! And my hate for KS remains

Khan saab super narratives, really loved reading em. Did you find the answer to the steering arm mystery of the disco??
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:57   #41
BHPian

Thank God, I still have my Land Rover Defender 110.
Prithvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 10:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
And my hate for KS remains
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
+2

@KS: Envy man, Envy.. anyways, great job and am sure you had a wonderful experience

@Prithvi: Tell us more about your LR Defender 110.

Looks like I got to start my search for a LR Defender..Personally, it looks better than the other two.

A little OT:
Also, there is a chap in Coimbatore who does air suspension lifts for vehicles - Any body has the inputs?

I had witnessed this in one of the OTRs [I think the samurai introductory OTR in Chennai in 2007..] with the chap who owned the vehicle.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 11:20   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
....Having said that I have been fortunate enough to drive Evoque and Freelander for considerable distances
======
I would love to attend the similar offroading event by LR someday, that would certainly help the British marque to secure their feet here.
I am sure JLR would some day have driving programs similar to BMW & Merc, Toyota etc for the customers & prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
..Khan saab super narratives, really loved reading em. Did you find the answer to the steering arm mystery of the disco??
No man, As I said that the defender was a heavily modified show vehicle and no had an answer for what that steering knuckle on the LHS was for. BTW, that's a Defender and not Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Great . DON'T SELL IT These are meant to be kept for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...@KS: Envy man, Envy.. anyways, great job and am sure you had a wonderful experience .
You bet. it was a wonder experience -- one that can't be explained in words -- especially after you get to do off-roading, factory visit & a drive at Nurburgring in 3 days

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...making-xj.html (PICS : Jaguar's Castle Bromwich (UK) Factory. Detailed report on the making of the XJ)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-autobahn.html (Driving the Jaguar XFR & XJ 5.0L Supercharged V8 at Nürburgring and the Autobahn)
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 23:21   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
BTW, that's a Defender and not Disco
Defender doing disco with me , ok i think that is the only thing that makes sense. Universal part so that it can be made a LHD in a jiffy.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 17:40   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumbs up Land Rover story on Facebook

Land Rover is sharing its heritage online at www.facebook.com/landrover - click on The Land Rover Story.

It contains some nice footage from their archives, and shows the growth and development of Land Rover from the earliest days right up to the new-generation 2013 Range Rover. Quite interesting!
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Roading with Land Rovers & Range Rovers at Eastnor Castle, UK-land-rover-story.jpg  

vb-san is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote