Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2012, 10:09   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Wayanad Monsoon Off-Roading 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
More stringent scrutiny of vehicles - Don't allow vehicles with HT tyres or Long chasis vehicles like Montero or Pajero if not fit for trail. (Who on earth would give go-ahead to a vehicle like MONTERO with HT tyres?, these are vehicles just for the name sake 4x4 but they are for soft offroading. A strict NO should be communicated)
From what I heard from an official, HT tyred SUVs were indeed rejected. But the participants ignored the rejection and joined up the convoy.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 10:58   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Wayanad Monsoon Off-Roading 2012

My first OTR turned out to be more fun and exciting than imagined. My first taste of slush, river crossing and boulders conquered by 4X4 has left me wanting for more. I got chased by an elephant, thrown around in a Jeep, drenched in rain, sprayed with slush, played host to leeches, left hungry for hours, waited for eternity to get moving on the trail and I want more...

I met very nice people like Tejas (Kicksperliter), Roshan (Gurukar) and Chandan (Chandan). The knowledge that these guys have and shared was very welcoming. I didn’t feel out of place or unwelcomed one bit. We talked a lot about Jeeps, Off-roading and OTR but more than that what I enjoyed the most was the process of analyzing what is wrong with the Jeep each time we face an issue which happened more than once. I also met Shibu (Jeep Captain) he is a perfect example for passion had a nice chat with him. I also met Nanjappa Sir, couls talk to him much as he was flagging off and timing every vehicle during Day 2.

The event was well planned but the execution was lacking. It started off really well, with the registrations, vehicle scrutiny, ensuring that the vehicles are lined up as per the allotted numbers during flag off, tractors at key spots for winching. Day 2 was executed well, with things starting off early and ending before dark. Crowd management could have been better.

But few things they got it all wrong, first accommodation, if a person can spend 5k and drive down his vehicle 250kms for an event, it is understood that he comes with a certain lifestyle. You can’t put him up in a room filled with bunk beds for 40 people as accommodation and expect him to share 10 toilets! That’s just not done. On day 1, the spot they choose to handover the food may have been the right one if things went as planned but once the vehicles started getting stuck and taking up more time. They should have changed their plan and moved the food packets ahead. That didn’t happen, they stood their ground and expected participants to walk 4kms down the trail to get food packets. I did that, slipping and falling 3 thrice enroute. I reached there at 4:30PM, and they were not ready to give extra packets for other participants as I didn’t have the coupon. They should have realized that if they have lunch packets with them till 5pm that means people haven’t got their lunch. There was no reasoning with them. Anyway, we found our own accommodation for extra money with better food the same evening.

I was awestruck with the toughness of the Jeeps, non-Jeepers like me know that they are tough but I saw it firsthand how they can handle abuse. Gypsy’s were flying over the track like Road Runner. Pajero’s, Discovery, Montero were getting stuck every inch. ATV’s made it look easy.

500kms in a Jeep was a first for me, it was different to go on a drive without music, A/c. The rash ride, the loud noise and the radiating heat in the cabin was new to me. But there is fun to it, you get to enjoy the fresh air nature has to offer, you chat a lot with your mate and your mind thinks a lot of random things. The slow drive ensures that you see every small detail of the towns/ villages you cross and enjoy every colour nature offers. I am used to driving a hatch at high speeds and zipping overnight to the destination. This was new to me and I liked it.

As I said before my first experience turned out to be much more that what I had expected. I came across a very tough terrain, meet some nice people and saw the best and worst that could happen. All this has just added to my addiction.

I want more, Sakleshpur here I come.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread