Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 13:14   #16
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,816
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

That is quite an expedition.

This thread has re-kindled my urge to own a Fortuner. Many roads in Chennai as slippery and pot-holed like the ones i see in the pictures. Would be fun to drive the Fortuner through those.

Well narrated supported by beautiful pictures (or the other way around).

@ Monaro CV8 - please do post the videos.

OT: With 4 Fortuners, you guys could have rescued the whole fleet of damsels as they would have had more fun in the Fortuners than trekking down.
MAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 13:18   #17
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 570
Thanked: 463 Times
Post Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Great account saar! I liked the photos a lot, especially the donut ones.
Just a correction if I may. Monaro isnt a s/w engineer. He would request not to be tarred with this brush too.
Hey SD,
Maybe you've mistaken what HG is trying to be jovial about.
What he meant was that the damsel changed cars, like software professionals switching their jobs.

Guderian very well knows what I do for a living

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Nice pics and even better narration Herr Guderian!
Any pics of the stranded Safari and/or its rescue attempt ?
Hey Ojas,
The stranded Safari pics were not possible for a few reasons:
1. The terrain was utterly slippery and on a steep slope. Very difficult for a human to stand upright, leave alone pose with a camera to shoot a pic.
Guderian Sir almost fell on his rear twice.
2. We were trying to help the Safari guy and his distressed family. Imagine the look on their faces, while we are clicking pictures of their misery.
3. It was a situation full of cacophony; thanks to a few local trekker guys who were drunk, a few bikers who still wanted to pass in that kind of impossible terrain, helping hands - passing trekkers who were giving all sorts of suggestions to rescue the Mumbai registered Safari.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The Fortuners have all the slush and you guys are as clean as you just had a shower and change. Goes a long way in showing the drivers know the capability of their vehicles, otherwise there seemed enough instances to get down and check if the terrain is safe, thereby getting dirty.
LOL..mayank
I hope you are joking!
You should have seen the mess we were in, specially after the Safari Rescue. Of course, the pants & boots were full of muck. What, did you expect, for us to roll in the slush?!
Monaro CV8 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 13:39   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Maybe you've mistaken what HG is trying to be jovial about.
What he meant was that the damsel changed cars, like software professionals switching their jobs.
No, no Monaro, I very well know this but wanted confirmation. Now that it is here I have full license to rant and rave about it. @Guderian hasnt heard the last of it. We geeks shall have our revenge! And its only Monday yet, imagine what sort of misery we will be in for this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
The stranded Safari pics were not possible for a few reasons:
1. The terrain was utterly slippery and on a steep slope. Very difficult for a human to stand upright, leave alone pose with a camera to shoot a pic.
Guderian Sir almost fell on his rear twice.
2. We were trying to help the Safari guy and his distressed family. Imagine the look on their faces, while we are clicking pictures of their misery.
which is why you should take some shameless paparazzi type leeches (in this case only in terms of boot grip) like me along. I am good at 'offroading' for pictures.
And to be honest, Ojas is only being modest in asking about Safari pics. His intentions run deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
You should have seen the mess we were in, specially after the Safari Rescue. Of course, the pants & boots were full of muck. What, did you expect, for us to roll in the slush?!
Ahem sorry, but I did hope so. A little bit, I admit.

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th July 2012 at 13:40.
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 13:43   #19
BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore / Coc
Posts: 713
Thanked: 1,244 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Good pictures and an even better writeup! Good to see the Fortuners getting their hands dirty. Any videos of the donuts? That would be a royal treat!
neil.jericho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 13:48   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,626
Thanked: 9,100 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Wow, this is the sort of stuff that makes me rue having no 4X4 in the garage! Excellent narration by HG (as usual) and Monaro. I can't believe you invited me to this and I declined

The pics are excellent, especially the one of the 4 behemoths lined up menacingly.

I must admit, the combination of old and facelifted Fortuners, that too spanning the spectrum of colours (a black one would've been icing on the cake!) looks gorgeous.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 13:55   #21
BHPian
 
siddheshb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Panaji
Posts: 442
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Missed this :( Couldn't have made it even if the Forts were OK having an Endy-outsider in their midst... was driving back from Goa, hoping for the rains (which never came)... although the waterfalls at Amboli were a lot of fun!
siddheshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 14:18   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
LOL..mayank
I hope you are joking!
You should have seen the mess we were in, specially after the Safari Rescue. Of course, the pants & boots were full of muck. What, did you expect, for us to roll in the slush?!
As a matter of fact, i was not.

I have helped pull multiple Jeeps out of slush, and whenever I get into the thing with a shovel to put some hard material under the wheels to get some traction invaribly the top part of my body also gets really dirty.

You guys did it cleanly, i must say (Its a compliment) . Looks like i am more messy.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 14:43   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,003
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Not to spoil your spirit but the stretches shown do not seem like an offroading track. My understanding of proper offroading is something like this:



OR



The terrain shown can be easily passed by an ordinary two-wheel drive car.
nitinbose is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 15:28   #24
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 570
Thanked: 463 Times
Post Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Not to spoil your spirit but the stretches shown do not seem like an offroading track. My understanding of proper offroading is something like this:

The terrain shown can be easily passed by an ordinary two-wheel drive car.
I hope you do realize that those stints are done with hugely modified cars andby professional drivers.

What we were able to achieve is with stock cars and with soft-road/ semi-off road conditions.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 16:10   #25
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 833
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Lovely pictures and reports...

I am also very keen on taking my fortuner @Rajmachi trails since a long time. The only proper offroading experience i have had is the toyota fortuner boot camp last year.

Next time such a outing is planned i would love to join in the slush fun.
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 16:49   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,570
Thanked: 80,371 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Great report, as always Guderian.

I've seen what the Fortuner can do with a set of proper offroad tyres and trust me, she can turn a mean wheel. People only credit the Pajero with offroad credentials in that segment but to me, the Fortuner is equally capable.

Thanks for sharing.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 16:50   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,408 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Sob sob, missing the fun, thanks for the report sir, waiting for the rest.
Thanks Ro. Yeah this was an exclusive Fortuner event as we wanted to get down to discussing the vehicle's +ves and -ves which didn't happen as there was nothing to discuss really as we realised. But then yes - next time you shall be an honourable guest !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
This an awesome treat for SUV lovers. Waiting for more snaps
Thanks BIBIN004 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai View Post
Needless to say that this was exactly running in my mind or should I say "Hero, Heroine, Story, Screenplay, Assisstants, Production Assisstants, Music, Cinematography, Dance, Director - Mr.Guderian" if the others dont join.
Errr...ahem...narchennai. It's not Mr Guderian but Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian - if you please ! Civilians I tell you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Awesome ! Megalodon would have loved to be a part of this ! Please do count me in in the next slush fest
Thanks Ahmed. Next time sir !

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Great account saar! I liked the photos a lot, especially the donut ones.
Just a correction if I may. Monaro isnt a s/w engineer. He would request not to be tarred with this brush too...
Hi selfdrive, Thanks from all of us. That correction has been corrected by Monaro - so I guess nothing else remains to be recorrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guderian Sir,

Awesome pics. Looks like T-Fort guys had a blast in the slush and the off roading besides rescuing the damsels and the Safari. Dont worry, with an SUV like the Fort you sure will get more damsels.

The scenic pics too were superb. BTW who was the official photographer for the trip? How much time was spent to remove the red clay from the Fortuner? Any pics of the stranded Safari?
Hi ghodlur,
Thanks ! Yes all of us had a blast...yes of clay and water too. Besides exploding bladders too !
Damsels ? More ? Damn ! To tell you the truth - here I was trying to bloody concentrate to prevent Admiral and rest of us plunging into the valley and here was the damsel, who seemed a few minutes ago in distress, chatting away merrily about her life and likes and expecting me to respond as well. During a tense moment or two of driving all I ask is sepulchral silence.
We were all officially taking the snaps - meaning no one was the official snapper.
About the time it took to remove the clay - a link below shows it all on my thread. And the red Safari ? We are trying hard to forget the nightmare - but yeah someone might still have a snap or two...waiting for abhayshanu or kedarwalke to open up here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
What an exciting run Herr' Generale' and co-patriots.
Thanks dkaile. Someday we shall have a mega-maha Fortuners meet somewhere !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
...
Thanks Monaro for a super narration and snaps.
Say - you forgot to mention that the comely lass hopped in to your Fortuner for the last part of the journey from K'la to L'vla. A journey of mere 5 KMs which by your own admission took 1.5 hours yesterday. A case of... ummm... convenient amnesia sir ? Ha ha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The Fortuners have all the slush and you guys are as clean as you just had a shower and change. Goes a long way in showing the drivers know the capability of their vehicles, otherwise there seemed enough instances to get down and check if the terrain is safe, thereby getting dirty.
Thanks mayankjha1806 ! No, but I was pretty mucky and covered in red clay - trousers etc thanks to all that digging for that infernal Safari...took me sometime to get rid of it from my boots this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Wow! wow!!!

Nice pics and write up.
Good to see the pictures of Suvs doing what they are designed for.

Damsel!! hmmmm!!!
Thanks Ashish. You were saying something about the damsel ? Pray do continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
NICE!!!
What a lovely day the Forts had! Lovely pics, great narration.

Im sure you guys had a ball of a time. The Forts did what they are built to do.
I loove the pics where the Forts are all dirty with muck and clay. True character, I say.

Any pics of the distressed Safari and damsel (not in that particular order though ).
Thanks SI. A nice time was had by all to say the least. I am sure some one has a snap or two of the Safari and the D-i-D. Infact one of the snaps after the hillock has a ghostly outline of the lady sitting in the Admiral. And yes she took a snap...of all of us:
Name:  DSC00822.JPG
Views: 1701
Size:  282.6 KB


Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Nice outing you guys had. Looks like only 4 men and there machines enjoyed. No passengers?
Hi VTEC guy,
Yes no passengers. No one was sure about our capabilities to get them back safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
OT: With 4 Fortuners, you guys could have rescued the whole fleet of damsels as they would have had more fun in the Fortuners than trekking down.
Thanks MAS.
D-i-Ds can be quite a distraction when you are sliding and gliding down to your doom. And to top it some morons who came up the trail in their 4X2s (remember the silver XUV 500 Monaro and team ?) suddenly realised they couldn't make up a particular slope turned around and parked it right there on the narrow trail. And when we came down, slid and slammed into it almost. And on top of this more D-i-Ds ? No thanks. We prefer them when on firm ground !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Guderian very well knows what I do for a living
Monaro, You sure about that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No, no Monaro, I very well know this but wanted confirmation. Now that it is here I have full license to rant and rave about it. @Guderian hasnt heard the last of it.
Aha...so that's it eh selfdrive ! A quiet poke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Good pictures and an even better writeup! Good to see the Fortuners getting their hands dirty. Any videos of the donuts? That would be a royal treat!
Thanks neil.jericho (walls of !).
Will try and put up a few videos. Meaning Monaro will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wow, this is the sort of stuff that makes me rue having no 4X4 in the garage! Excellent narration by HG (as usual) and Monaro. I can't believe you invited me to this and I declined
Hi Noops,
Thanks.
Pity that decline. You sure don't know what's good for you eh ? But anyway the next time perhaps ?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Missed this :( Couldn't have made it even if the Forts were OK having an Endy-outsider in their midst...
This outing was inspired partly by your trip there sid !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Lovely pictures and reports...

I am also very keen on taking my fortuner @Rajmachi trails since a long time. The only proper offroading experience i have had is the toyota fortuner boot camp last year.

Next time such a outing is planned i would love to join in the slush fun.
Thanks bhp. Sorry to have missed you. Next time around for sure !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great report, as always Guderian.

I've seen what the Fortuner can do with a set of proper offroad tyres and trust me, she can turn a mean wheel. People only credit the Pajero with offroad credentials in that segment but to me, the Fortuner is equally capable.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks GTO.
In fact the one thing we were crying for on the slippery slopes was a good set of M/T tyres. Especially when we felt the Earth shift beneath our vehicles.


And finally - I had to do this today to clean up.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sails-109.html

Last edited by Guderian : 9th July 2012 at 16:58.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 17:34   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,408 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

And here is the first of the videos.

The one and only one from me. Taken by me with my sweaty fingers just before the first water (and only) water crossing. A minor affair though - but required the HL range.

Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 18:22   #29
BHPian
 
the VTEC guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 563
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And here is the first of the videos.

The one and only one from me. Taken by me with my sweaty fingers just before the first water (and only) water crossing. A minor affair though - but required the HL range.
The water crossing gets almost waist deep(experienced that few years back) at some places with more rain. And that is actually the Ulhas river (atleast thats what I was told while trekking)
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 19:26   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,561
Thanked: 1,170 Times
Default Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And here is the first of the videos.
Guderian, Monaro and Team

How did the Stock Dunlop tyres perform. Was there any cause for complaint or is it recommended to upgrade to shoes like Michelin Lattitude or Yokohama Geolandars?

Thoughts Please
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seven Samurai - Seven Fortuners & a Sunday Dash! Guderian Travelogues 31 6th April 2015 14:44
Seven Fortuners, One Land Rover & Rajmachi Revisited Guderian 4x4 Excursions 56 18th January 2014 17:37
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail... Guderian 4x4 Excursions 51 24th September 2013 11:57
Fortuners in search of Heaven through the "Slopes of Hell" ! karan561 4x4 Excursions 32 9th August 2013 17:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks