Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 9th December 2012, 11:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report

Ahem, this is the most delayed OTR report I have ever written until now. In fact, I have 5 OTR reports in backlog. I guess it is time I cleared up some of that.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266173.jpg

After the wonderful experience in Somwarpet 2010 event, I was eagerly looking forward to the 2011 edition. Meanwhile there was a surprise OTR event in my native destrict, and that stirred a lot of interest too. As the date for Somwarpet neared, my cousins and our families were interested to attend again. So I went ahead and booked two rooms in the same homestay as last year.

However, as the price was announced, we discovered that the cost had gone up by 50%. The fee was 3000 per head for participants and 1000 per head for non-participants (dinner only). After hearing that, all the ladies backed off, and we had difficulty attracting any other passengers. So I cancelled the rooms and paid the entry for only two drivers in two Jeeps, that is for Sachin and myself. Little later both my cousins too sent in their entry for the Gurkha. Now that I knew the exact number of entries, I tried to re-book the rooms and found them all taken up. But the coast was not yet clear. Both of Sachin’s offroad vehicles ended up in the garage with some serious problems, and were ruled out of the event. And my Jeep’s battery trouble that was discovered during the Beltangady event had gotten worse. I basically had a dying battery. So I borrowed the battery from Sachin’s garaged Jeep, and he decided to jump into my passenger seat. But our troubles were not yet over. With a day to go, Sachin had a family crisis and he had to drop out. I tried to call Nagraj who was my passenger in the previous event, but he was nursing a broken leg. I tried to call couple BHPians in the area but none could join at the last minute. Thus I was forced to travel alone to yet another OTR.

The lonely drive on the Shiradi Ghat

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266181.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266182.jpg

Since I was to stay with my cousins with friends in Sanivarsanthe, I had no choice but take the dreaded Bisle ghat. If there is one route I don’t want to drive alone in winter, it is the Bisle ghat. It is a dangerous and desolate ghat, the road is very narrow, and has many hidden traps right next to the edge of the tarmac. If you fall into one, help may take a long time to come, if at all. You may think I am overreacting, but I have fallen into one of these, so I have the right to be scared.

One of the road side traps that is not hidden. In most places, such eroded shoulders are hidden by shrubs.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266187.jpg

Some more shots from Bisle ghat.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266188.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266196.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266198.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266199.jpg

The best viewing point in Bisle ghat is the Bisle park.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266210.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266201.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266202.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266203.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266205.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266206.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266207.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266208.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8266209.jpg

I reached Sanivarsanthe by evening and joined my cousins and his friends. One of those friends became my passenger for the event next day.

OTR DAY

In a monsoon OTR, it is hard to decide which is the best place to be. If you are among the front few Jeeps, the trail will be intact and you may find the trail too easy and finish the event by afternoon. However, if you are at the middle or rear part of the convoy, you can be assured of a very challenging trail. But, that comes with a cost. You’ll have to wait a lot, and you may not complete all the stages. Last year we missed on the last stage because we had too much fun in areas that turned into quagmire after a rain.

My cousin Nishanth was very concerned about it and wanted to be in the front this time. So we left as early as possible and tried to reach the starting point (Pioneer Tennis Club) ahead of others. We parked well outside so that we can leave before others. After registration and breakfast, to our dismay we discovered that we had parked at the wrong end. This time, the starting point was on the other side. As we left the club, Nishanth decided he won’t be left behind like last year and took off. With his superior engine and 5-speed gear, he raced away from my Jeep. So he was at least 10 vehicles ahead of me by the time we reached the entrance of the trail.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276211.jpg

Right after I took the above photograph, another 15 offroad vehicles shamelessly passed the parked convoy from the wrong side and completely blocked the road. On OTR trails, this is the prerogative of the marshal vehicles, but these fellows were acting as if this is Bangalore traffic, filling every inch of the trail.

As I turned away in disgust, I had a new problem problem to solve. I don’t like to offroad among total strangers, especially in big OTRs. For me OTRs are bunch of friends hanging out, rescuing each other when stuck, chatting while waiting, etc. That doesn’t happen with strangers in a big crowd. So I started looking around for some friendly faces, and found them instantly behind my Jeep. A large contingent of B.O.D.A team was parked right behind me. Since I know most of them, I decided to stick around with them. For the uninitiated, B.O.D.A stands for Bangalore Offroad Development Authority. Although the name sounds like a government entity, they are not. But they are LIKE THAT ONLY.

As the vehicles ahead of me started moving into the trail, I noticed that none of the B.O.D.A Jeeps were moving. In the spirit of true camaraderie, they were waiting for rest of their team to catch up. So I too hung back. And we waited for a long time, allowing pretty much everybody to get ahead of us. Finally the sweeping marshal came to us wondering about why we haven’t entered the trail. When we mentioned about the missing part of the team, we were told that they were sent to the 2nd leg of the trail. Thus we became the true tail-enders of the 1st leg. But I wasn’t worried about that much, at least I was among friends.

Finally we entered the trail...

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276212.jpg

Some Jeeps of BODA team:

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276213.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276215.jpg

(the KMT90 gearbox of this Jeep is now inside my MM550)

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276216.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276217.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276219.jpg

Immediately after entering the trail, I started having issues with a Jeep ahead of me. Every 50 meters that Jeep used to stop, and everybody (7-8 people) used to jump out and sing and dance and cheer. They were all in inebriated state and getting more so in a hurry. Since the trail was narrow here, I had no chance of getting past them. As I was suffering behind them, I noticed that they were constantly filming me, using professional equipment. Finally it dawned on me that they were the official media vehicle. For all they made me suffer, I at least got a decent TV coverage.

Then I spoke to the BODA guys behind me and suggested we all pass the media Jeep at the first possible chance. That happened soon and we got our sanity back.

Then we came across the first sticky spot. Well, not really, if you know what you are doing, it ain’t that tough, just needs little momentum. But it looks impressive to onlookers. We had to climb down a slushy drop and then climb back on a very slushy incline. Since there was enough run-up, all vehicles could easily build enough momentum. So we all managed to overcome it in one attempt. I guess the newbies who tried to crawl up may have got stuck here.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270906.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270907.jpg

I covered Prabhu’s attempt here.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276220.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276221.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276222.jpg

Then we stopped, for the next two hours.

After waiting for a while, I decided to move ahead on foot to see what is the holdup. Many were already doing it.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276225.jpg

To Be Continued...

Last edited by Samurai : 9th December 2012 at 17:15.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 16:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report

And on the way I decided to shoot the lovely Jeeps.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276226.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276228.jpg

That morning I had debated by myself whether to wear the gumboots or my Caterpillar offroad boots. I had brought gumboots which was coated with a mixture of snuff and tobacco, to repel leeches. But wearing gumboots for the whole day makes the feet very wonky by the end of the day. So I decided to skip the gumboots. But now I regretted that decision.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276229.jpg

Still I kept going while avoiding the deep slush as much as possible.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276230.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276240.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276241.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276242.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276247.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276248.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276249.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276251.jpg

I finally caught up with Nishanthís Gurkha.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276231.jpg

And I continue...

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276232.jpg

I finally found the Jeep most ahead of the waiting convoy.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276233.jpg

There was nothing ahead of it.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276234.jpg

The Jeep was parked without a key and the driver was nowhere to be seen.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276235.jpg

So I decided to walk back and inform the people along the way. Canít say the wait was entirely boring, I mean check out the view during the wait.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276236.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276237.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276239.jpg

Anyway, about two hours later we started moving.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270908.jpg

And I finally came to the most difficult obstacle of the day. The L obstacle, the 90 degree left turn after climbing a super slushy incline

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270909.jpg

The Jeep ahead of me was driven by a lady, who I suspect was driving offroad for the first time. I suspect it is first time because she was getting coached by 3 different guys at every obstacle. However, no amount of coaching helped at the L obstacle. I think they even changed the driver, one of the coaches tried. Finally, the Jeep had to be towed out.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270911.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270913.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270915.jpg

By now I had seen many attempts on the L obstacle and very few succeeded. This L obstacle was the reason why we were stuck for so long, apart from that parked vehicle on the trail. I realised that my favourite 2 Low will not cut it here. I will lose momentum at the 90 degree turn. That means something little faster, the 1 high. Not my favourite, because it involves pumping the A pedal all the way to keep the flywheel turning. But I didnít see any other way.

My takeoff point...

Name:  P8270920XL.jpg
Views: 5005
Size:  185.8 KB

So I took off at 1 high, pumping the a-pedal to keep the revvs high. I successfully completed the L, and in joy of completing, I forgot to keep pumping. Just 15ft after the L, I got stuck. I quickly switched back to 2 low and tried crawling away. But the suction from the slush was solid. But couple guys pushed from behind, and I turned the wheel left and right and broke the suction. I happily got away.

Next was a small climb and the slush was more clayish than watery. The trick was in keeping to the left of the trail as much as possible. The Jeep in front of me took off at high speed and got across using brute force. Looking at the slush texture I felt I could make it by crawling up in 2nd low, but looking at his successful technique, my mind got clouded and I tried to rush up the hill like him. I almost made it, but my tyres decided to follow a different path in the slush and I started drifting to the right, towards the valley. Finally I was saved from falling into the gentle valley by a tree. That tree also blocked me from getting out of the Jeep.

Few people started pushing and pulling the Jeep, but the only direction it would move is to the right, into the valley. Finally marshall Navin showed up. He asked me to do self recovery using the winch. But I had to get out first to setup the winch. I somehow extracted myself out from the left side door, connected the winch and recovered the Jeep. It would have been hell of a lot tougher without the winch. And most vehicles donít have winch, that explains why there was so much delay at this point. I crawled up the remaining part easily in 2nd low, should have done that in the first place instead of playing copycat.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276254xl.jpg

The Jeep behind me was also getting stuck.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270921xl.jpg

And what a view...

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270922xl.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276256xl.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited by Samurai : 9th December 2012 at 16:37.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 16:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

More slush-fest awaited us.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270929xl.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270930xl.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270933xl.jpg

Somewhere here I got sucked in by the clayish slush, and had to be pulled back by the rear Jeep using my tow rope.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276258.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276259.jpg

But the unknown marshal who tied the tow rope had no idea how to use fix the tow rope to the bow shackle. He did such a way that the tow rope got stuck on the bow shackle. So I had to leave the tow rope on that Jeep. I am yet to get it back.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276260xl.jpg

This stretch had a very thick clayish mud.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276261xl.jpg

Then I ran into another trouble spot where my tyres kept going to the left in the slush, no matter which way I turn the steering. Again I had to self-winch my way out of it.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270936xl.jpg

By now I had been winched or towed out 3-4 times. Every time I took help from the BODA guys (Prabhu, Vivek, Ashok, Achut) behind me. This is why I didn’t want to offroad with strangers this morning.

Next we came to a place where we had to climb down the hill. There was a hold and we had to stop. About the same time, it started raining, HARD. It was so hard, we had to sit inside the Jeep for a long time.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270940xl.jpg

Name:  P8270941XL.jpg
Views: 4814
Size:  265.2 KB

The trail turns into a stream...

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270942xl.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276268.jpg

Then the convoy started moving, and the terrain was very rocky. This stretch was probably the most challenging to just keep moving. Lot of rocks, even trees roots to negotiate around. Therefore, I have no photographs of this stretch. I think this stretch made up for all the waiting we had to endure. Also, since we were the last in the bunch, we got the most ripped up terrain to drive in.

Finally we came to the last obstacle of this stage. A stream crossing. The lady who was driving the Jeep must have got cold feet, and the Jeep just stopped in the middle of the stream.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270947.jpg

Then it was switched off, another mistake. Finally the Jeep had to be towed away.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270950.jpg

I was next, and I have a time tested technique for water crossing. Keep a steady pace, never stop. And there I go, a friend shot this.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-417213_3011655724665_1060664399_2911518_1369980030_n.jpg

All the BODA guys behind me too crossed without any drama. And then we contemplate our next move.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8270953xl.jpg

It was already quite dark, so we wondered whether to continue to the next stage. Then somebody told us it is the last stage we completed in the previous year. Then we decided to call it a day.

The final obstacle from last year. Here we waited for our friends to return.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276269.jpg

While waiting Prabhu decides to climb up.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276270.jpg

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276272.jpg

Then he does it in reverse.

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276277.jpg

Some local kids who were watching this were super impressed by Prabhu. Later at the dinner party, they were literally worshiping him.

Eventually Nishanth’s Gurkha came out of the trail.

Then we left for Sanivarsanthe to freshen up before the dinner party. I heard that they got into some tight spot, with no one around to help. The marshall apparently told them to leave the vehicle, saying it will be recovered tomorrow. That is when they wished my CJ340 was with them to winch them out. Fortunately another participant saw their predicament and winched them out.

Unlike last time, I don’t have much to report about the return journey. I decided to take the Shiradi on the way back. There was a small incident where I smelled diesel inside the cabin. I guessed it must be the fuel return pipe. Then I opened the hood and found I was right. One of the return pipes from the injectors had come off. I secured it back and continued on.

This is the second time my Jeep is coming back from the OTR without any problem. This could become a habit.

After coming home I heard that the OTR was already shown on TV9 channel. They were repeating it twice a day and so my cousins and I informed all the relatives. Thus all our relatives got to see the show, and us in the show. Why is this important? Well, for years my Jeep and Nishanth’s Gurkha were a mystery to our relatives. Our claims of driving offroad in distant forest/mountain trails were treated with suspicion or skepticism. But the TV coverage eliminated all suspicion and made our activities of the past 5 years very very legitimate.

Parting Shot...

Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report-p8276264.jpg

The End

Last edited by Samurai : 9th December 2012 at 17:28.
Samurai is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 21:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

I didn't/can't know/believe there could be a situation where a OTR participant was in need of a companion and no one was available! I wish there were more OTRs near Pune that I could just join in as a non-participant.

Very compact thread, with quite fresh pictures. It helps that there aren't any viewer posts (like this post of mine ) to break the flow!

Could you elucidate a bit more about the road side traps, and your past mishap on that ghat? What exactly are they for?

Also a noobie Q - what do you exactly mean by self-winch(ing) your way out?

P.s. Rated 5 stars for the crisp storyline & OTR experience. Now please put up the four more TLs!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 9th December 2012 at 21:18.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 07:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I didn't/can't know/believe there could be a situation where a OTR participant was in need of a companion and no one was available!
Oh, it does happen a lot.

Quote:
Very compact thread, with quite fresh pictures. It helps that there aren't any viewer posts (like this post of mine ) to break the flow!
No viewer posts because it was in assembly line until I finished the report.

Quote:
Could you elucidate a bit more about the road side traps, and your past mishap on that ghat? What exactly are they for?
In 2010, one tyre fell into a trap like that. Check this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2293345 (Somwarpet OTR 2010: Escape to Nature)

Quote:
Also a noobie Q - what do you exactly mean by self-winch(ing) your way out?
It is a process where we connect the winch cable to a sturdy tree and then turn on the motor.

Quote:
P.s. Rated 5 stars for the crisp storyline & OTR experience. Now please put up the four more TLs!
Ah, it is a lot of effort. I'll take up the next one soon.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 10:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

As always made for a good read Samu, lovely pictures too. Definitely salute your passion for this driving all the way from Manipal or Bangalore and then covering it for us lesser mortals on tbhp.

Quote:
In fact, I have 5 OTR reports in backlog. I guess it is time I cleared up some of that.
And you already have a 550 in the garage and my guess is that , this will be in an OTR pretty soon. BTW congrats on the 550.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 10:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Woderful pics; The shot of your vehicle crossing the stream the best of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is a process where we connect the winch cable to a sturdy tree and then turn on the motor.
Whenever I hear self-winching, The scene from Gods must be crazy comes to my mind where his vehicle dangles on a tree
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 12:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pics and a great write-up, as always.

I was also going to ask the question about self winching but ninjatalli already helped me out with it. Your jeep looks stunning and BTW, the third picture of this thread is now my desktop wallpaper.

People like me are eagerly waiting for the remaining 5 OTR reports and hope to see your 550 fighting with the slush soon.

Rated the thread a much deserved 5 stars.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 00:42   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Somwarpet OTR 2011: A Very Late Report

I was next, and I have a time tested technique for water crossing. Keep a steady pace, never stop. And there I go, a friend shot this.

Hi, Thanks for the superb narration on the event. For the water-cross, was this on 4h or 4L, on 1st gear or 2nd gear...just being curious. I have been doing water-cross at an estate in Kakkabe with boulders mostly on the river bed, where i put 4l and 1st gear to take me through , last two years. Need to confirm , whether I am doing this right on y MM540(5.38 diffs).
jmvivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 01:10   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
For the water-cross, was this on 4h or 4L, on 1st gear or 2nd gear...just being curious. I have been doing water-cross at an estate in Kakkabe with boulders mostly on the river bed, where i put 4l and 1st gear to take me through , last two years. Need to confirm , whether I am doing this right on y MM540(5.38 diffs).
Since I have the same ratio on my Jeep, I can relate well. I usually pick 2nd low, because it gives the best combo of momentum and torque for most conditions. While you could do it in 1st low, you will hardly have any momentum. If you suddenly encounter a sticky spot under water, you may not have enough momentum in 1st low to overcome it.

Do try out different gears to get the feel. Try 2nd low and 1st high and see how it works out when compared to 1st low.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 09:25   #11
BHPian

Good write up samurai! Like always... Seems to have been a very tough OTR!!!
yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 10:50   #12
BHPian

Awesome! It's never too late, such a lovely narration and great pictures. Looking forward to the rest of the backlog. When do you plan to post them? Please keep them coming.
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 00:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Samurai for penning this. I absolutely adore your 4x4 excursions and this thread is no different. Hope to read the pending OTR reports soon.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 09:00   #14
BHPian

Wonderful pic-narration Samurai! I enjoyed it through and through. I only wish I was a decade younger

The story was told so well that I could feel the palpable moments, and hats off for achieving it with so few words!
soonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 10:54   #15
BHPian

Samu Bhai

Excellent write up yaar! This has increased my urge to participate in an OTR. Thanks to you Sharath.
Your waterwading CJ has landed up as my desktop's wallpaper.
Hey, now that you have neatly illustrated your jeep's mettle, hope you don't increase its price tag by another 50 grand in the classifieds section !

Cheers
W_C
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote