Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 1st July 2013, 18:26   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra’s Off-Road Training Academy. Bookings open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring View Post

The course itself is set in the middle of a scenic valley over 20+ acres of land and has multiple obstacles of varying difficult and nature. Since it had been raining for some days now, the terrain had become all the more difficult. We were then taken through multiple obstacles under the watchful eyes of Manish, Bhosle Saab, Ravi and many more employees from Mahindra who were there all the time and helping us move over rumps, wade through ditches and winching us out when stuck. I can say with conviction that you need a terrain like this to unleash the beast that resides within the metal body of the Thar. Boy...was she fun to drive. I have started loving my own vehicle a lot more after the event.
Dear red herring Ji,
I can relate your experience, though I have offroaded there in January 2013, but we all were discussing how much it would be to offroad during monsoon surround by mist and railway track.
Food and stay at “Mystic Valley’ is very good.
You made a very valid point – people who have never offroaded should certainly attend this program to understand capability of Thar (especially people who have bought Thars and want to offroad).
Bhosle Saheb is gem of a person with decades of offroading experience in all kind of terrains across India and may be abroad as well.
Manish’s enthusiasm and concentration is to vouch for.
Whatever people say about Mahindra, they are at least inching towards making offroading popular in India.
Way to go

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 19:58   #17

Hi Guys,

On the Mahindra adventure Website, they have another "Getting Dirty" event scheduled for 13th July. I am in India during that period and would love to attend this.

The problem is I will be attending a Company event in Alibaug and would have to come directly from Alibaug.

Can anyone give me pointers on the road condition between alibaug & igatpuri? Google maps shows a distance of around 180 kms.

Should i try and leave the previous night and get some shut eye in Igatpuri or should i drive straight to the event.

Thanks.
rd_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 15:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_maverick View Post
On the Mahindra adventure Website, they have another "Getting Dirty" event scheduled for 13th July.
Seems, they changed the plan since you last checked it. I could see only 3 events of which the Lonavala Great Escape is already over due on 6th July, the other two are scheduled on 24th and 25th July. No event on 13th July.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 15:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys, anyone attended this course?

What have they taught you about recovery, especially what points do the trainers suggest to use on the Thar for recovery?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 13:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

There are hardly any off road recovery points on the Thar.
These welded recovery points will not last beyond a tug pull in a snatch pull they will break and fly off.

Some people fix pintle hooks without a K member even these are highly suspect.

And those shackles from ARB type modified bumbers. Look good but attempt a snatch and watch them fly off!

Only alternative is to use a Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope.

Well we all know that it a Jeep clone soft roader at best.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote