Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 17th July 2013, 17:29   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My 1st OTR: The 103rd Mahindra Great Escape @ Lonavla. 6th July, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
However I have some practical problems. When you say cater to the seniors- what would be the definition of a senior? Who would classify as a senior?

Kurian kurian won it followed by locky brar and shubendra who weren't seniors according to me until then.
What about entry on invitation for limited vehicles (40-50)?
OT - rave parties used to use this modus operandi
i believe offroading community is closely knitted and even you all know different groups spread across India.
Limit 5-6 Jeeps per group.

I am still young and learning

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 23:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 1st OTR: The 103rd Mahindra Great Escape @ Lonavla. 6th July, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Vinod,

Senior means a person who has done atleast one or two OTR's in any state and NOT a guy who has just bought a 4X4, off the shelf and believes he can attempt any obstacle is not classified under senior.

Sir, it is not a question of hard and fast scrutiny for selecting a senior.
If a person thinks he is a senior or seasoned enough to take on a tough course, let him in and if he has an accident, your 'Indemnity Bond' is covering you anyway, right?

Rules that are too binding take the fun out of any event, you have to be easy on yourself first to be easy on others.

The essence should be not on winning or losing or for that matter a competitive event, it should be about Jeepers getting together and looking forward to an event from Mahindra every year.

Look what Harley did in Goa!

For that matter drop the word 'Senior' or 'Seasoned' just hold an event that is memorable.

I hope you understand what I am trying to put forward here, its not only about wheel spin, it is about an event to remember and look forward to year after year.

Honestly, Vinod I do not expect anything coming from Mahindra, as the attitude is just not there.
Regards,
fazal saab
You would agree we have come a long way with various format of events that are extremely popular today. This wouldn't have been possible if atitude wasn't there. Have faith in us and we will work towards making events more memorable the way you want.
P.s -can't really give details but we did plan a event on the lines you mentioned but had to be shelved due to some reason.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 17th July 2013 at 23:42.
vinod_nookala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 00:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Vinod,

Senior means a person who has done atleast one or two OTR's in any state and NOT a guy who has just bought a 4X4, off the shelf and believes he can attempt any obstacle is not classified under senior.

I think there is more to be a so called " senior " than this. Anyone who has a capable rig and believes he can attempt any obstacle may well clear those obstacles. Its happening all over.

This is a relatively niche sport which is at its nascent stage.

Top of the head, to me a senior in someone who has been involved in this sport for some years, has invested in the right equipments and gears, gained experience by participating in couple of OTR ( though not necessarily, there are many doing this for years in countryside as part of their occupation) and MOST importantly has juniors who consider them as seniors. They are people who are the go to guys in the sport, they command respect for their experience and knowledge, encourage and promote the sport.
Vishbull_6157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 18:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
I think there is more to be a so called " senior " than this. Anyone who has a capable rig and believes he can attempt any obstacle may well clear those obstacles. Its happening all over.

This is a relatively niche sport which is at its nascent stage.

Top of the head, to me a senior in someone who has been involved in this sport for some years, has invested in the right equipments and gears, gained experience by participating in couple of OTR ( though not necessarily, there are many doing this for years in countryside as part of their occupation) and MOST importantly has juniors who consider them as seniors. They are people who are the go to guys in the sport, they command respect for their experience and knowledge, encourage and promote the sport.
Vishbull,

That is why I mentioned in my earlier post, to go easy.

Allow others to come and feel great about participating with 'Seniors' (the kind you are talking about and what it ideally should be taken as).

What you are also defining 'Senior' as..in your second sentence about about investment in years and gear etc. Remeber that most of the newbie Thar owners will not fit into that category for obvious reasons and MGE being a Mahindra event, it will not work out for them too.

We, including Vinod (he is an old time off roader too) know the true meaning of Senior, but the kind of exclusive gathering, where newbies have to Earn their place in a period of time. It is possible if only the sponsor/ organizer are truly serious about it.

Vinod,

High time a change in format takes place to evolve further and looking forward to something different from MGE, reason I sounded the idea in the first place.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote