Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 15th November 2013, 14:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default What do you want in an Offroad event?

Everyone has a different perception of how they would like to enjoy during an offroad event. Small offroad events with few people near your city are different from offroad events organised on a larger scale.

In this thread i wish to find out what you expect from an offroad event. This is important for me as an organiser as well as other organisers who are out there.

Many times there are discussions in the O team whether we want a difficult trail or a scenic trail, etc.

Assuming permissions are taken care of.

Would love answers under the following headings (please add more headings if required):

1. Number of days
2. Competitive vs trail drive
3. Type of competition
4. Cost for event
5. Type of obstacles
6. Type of accommodation
7. Food & beverages
8. Freebees and gifts
9. Prize vs trophy
10. Time interval between events
11. Miscellaneous

1. Number of days.

As a participant, how many days would you want the event to be? Usual trend is 2 days of offroading (report one night earlier). Would you want to increase or decrease and why?

2. Competitive vs trail drive?

Do you prefer a trail drive event or a competitive event? OR a combination of both. And thoughts on why?

3. Type of competition

What kind of competition would you prefer? Time based which is usually a autocross type format or a skill based on points?

4. Cost

In today's day and age, what would you think is a reasonable cost for an event which includes food and accommodation?

5. Type of obstacles

Would you want extreme obstacles that may damage your car if done wrongly or would you want a little tamer obstacle and enjoy the scenic beauty and meet friends?

6. Type of accommodation

Would you prefer tents and basic common latrine facilities or would you prefer a room with at least a hot shower?

7. Food & beverages

Do you prefer packed food on the trail or would you like to be served a proper hot meal during lunch on the trail?

8. Freebees and gifts

What you want a tshirt / cap and some kind of momento and certificate for remembrance or would you rather avoid it and keep the cost down?

9. Prize vs trophy

In a competition would you prefer a cash prize or a prize in kind (like winch, lights, jack, etc) or would you prefer a nice big trophy?

How many event would you attend per year and what would be the gap you prefer between two events assuming there is no vehicle damage?

11. Miscellaneous:

- would you want a car wash facility?

- mechanics on site or a garage nearby would do?

Remember additional facilities cost more money.

- would you let organisers keep you out if your vehicle does not meet safety criteria?

- include a soft trail so that new comers can see experienced guys and also try their hand on the easy trail

Lastly:

Why do you go for a particular event:
- because your friend is organising it
- you have heard its a good trail
- you have never been to that part of the country?
- to meet other offroaders
- other (please specify)

BE HONEST> will help organisers to organise better events in the future.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 15th November 2013 at 15:15.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 15:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: What do you want in an Offroad event?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) section.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 16:04   #3
BHPian

A very good topic Tejas. Here are my personal opinions:

1. 2 days is a good number. At most 3 but not more.

2. A combination of both so that one can skip a part if not wanted / not capable / not in mood.

3. A skill based one is more preferred as this brings out more in a participant while taking care not to damage the vehicle. In a time based one, you tend to rush things sometimes and vehicle damage can happen.

4. Rs. 3000/vehicle & Rs. 2000/pax for a basic stay is a fair enough cost for a 2 day event with food provided.

5. Type of obstacles preferred will depend on driver ability. But extreme obstacles with help at hand to guide is my personal preference

6. Accommodation is not a big issue. Anything in that budget is fine.

7. Packed food is the best option keeping in mind the number of people participating.

8. Freebees and gifts - Not important but vehicle stickers at the minimum for rememberance.

9. Cash Prize as some might already have some of the articles like winch, lights etc.

10. 3 to 4 events max with a gap of around 3 months between each.

11. Miscellaneous:

- Car wash - NO

- mechanics on site or a garage nearby would do? - A mechanic at any event is always a welcome addition no matter the cost.

- would you let organisers keep you out if your vehicle does not meet safety criteria? YES

- include a soft trail so that new comers can see experienced guys and also try their hand on the easy trail - YES this would be a great learning for newbies like me

Lastly:

1. To meet other offroaders
2. Love offroading as a sport
vroom666 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 16:08   #4
BHPian

1. Number of days
Response: Event spread over 2 days preferable

Response: Best of both would be great

3. Type of competition
Response: Skill based, since off-road is not meant for speed

4. Cost for event
Response: Depends on what is being offered, there are events with participation cost alone exceeds 5K but offers very little.

5. Type of obstacles
Response: Extreme for Vehicles which are equipped to tackle and tamer for newbies

6. Type of accommodation
Response: I personally prefer primitive basics which camping will offer, but camping area must be clean

7. Food & beverages
Response: Packed food on trail is preferable

8. Freebees and gifts
Response: none to keep my participation cost low.

9. Prize vs trophy
Response: Cash Prize

Response: Atleast two per annum.

11. Miscellaneous
Response: Mechanics on trail is helpful, would love to retain mud patches for few days hence wont be using car wash facility.

12. Why do you go for a particular event:
Response: Most of the time its because a friend is organizing it and to meet fella off-roaders.

I have made it a point to fit my answers to your requirement. hope this helps
and good luck with organizing

Regards,
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 16:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

1) 2 days & 1 night is a good duration (Also may hold 1 midnight event for testing the capability of the driver & the car in limited visibility & hence more fun)

2) Competitive yes, but again depending on the vehicle like say thar & gypsy category competitive level higher than may be Fortuner & Endeavor level (Can have stock & pro stock category in them too)

3) Time based may lead to damage of vehicle as the driver would want to complete in a hurry, so i would prefer points based for a more relaxed & stress free completion.

4) Rs 2500 For a single day event & for 2 days Rs 5000

5) Again based on the car category. Some obstacle which is tough for may be a Gypsy or a Thar out there something like a fortuner will definitely get stuck so they shouldn't be allowed to try as would waste time in recovery.

6) Tents - Would be OK during winters or non rainy conditions for an experience but definitely not a tent during heavy monsoons that time a room would be more sensible.

7) Proper hot meal (Vegeterian)

8) Keep the costs down & maintain quality levels in food & organizing / management.

9) Prizes would be fun but having a trophy would be more welcome.

10) 2-3 events/ year

11) Car wash facility would be appreciated
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 16:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Doc,

Very nice initiative. Letting the people decide what they want and trying to meet their expectations. This is real nice. Even though i have attended only 1 OTR till date, please see my replies below as i would love to attend more of the annual ones.

1. Number of days

2 days.

Friday night check in for Out of State guys and Saturday Early Morning check in for local guys. This would also mean that the O Team can breathe easy and not have to man the entire larger bunch at the same time.

Event can start on Saturday Morning and end by Sunday Evening.

I have only done the Trail Drive in 2010 and i enjoyed it. It was at a leisure pace and i could soak in the environment around. Personally i wouldnt be interested in Competetive Drive. If instead of that i had a chance to do a Trail Drive at the same time i would go in for it.

3. Type of competition

Can be a combination.

4. Cost for event

Lets face it, costs are high everywhere nowadays. If i were to visit a resort with my better half it would at minimum cost around 6k - 8k or more overall, all inclusive for a weekend. I would keep it at the same levels.

5. Type of obstacles

Being a newbie i would be chickening out on lot of difficult / expert trails. So some moderate trails should be included for people like us. I remember in 2010 that there were a few obstacles where few of us thought it would be difficult to go through and were not confident. There were 'chicken routes' at those places which allowed us to proceed further without tackling the obstacle. That was really a great idea.

6. Type of accommodation

If i were to join in with my better half then i would expect rooms with basic latrine facilities. Not all ladies would be comfortable in tents in my opinion.

7. Food & beverages

Packed Food would be the best way. This saves a lot of time by not going back to basecamp for food and coming back to the trail. Mini stoves maybe to heat the food on trail (just a thought)?

8. Freebees and gifts

I love those mugs plus stickers obviously.

9. Prize vs trophy

No thoughts.

Amateurs like me wait for something to happen in our backyard and would not be travelling to other destinations to attend events, so from that perspective i would love to attend atleast 2 events annually.

11. Miscellaneous

- would you want a car wash facility? NO
- mechanics on site or a garage nearby would do? Would be helpful.
- would you let organisers keep you out if your vehicle does not meet safety criteria? Yes.
- include a soft trail so that new comers can see experienced guys and also try their hand on the easy trail. Definitely Yes.

To meet others from the fraternity.
To mentally relax.
Get to know more about anything and everything as you meet and talk to people from diverse fields. Inspite of all of us being auto entusiasts, I can always ask you a question on a Tooth Implant or Root Canal since i know your profession (without the consultation fees of course)

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 20:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What do you want in an Offroad event?

Tejas,

Valuable thread for organizers and participants to voice their opinion and preferences.

1. Number of days.
2 Days. Leave city on Friday, report and start event on Saturday- Sunday.

2. Competitive vs trail drive?
Day 1 trial drive and day 2 competitive.

3. Type of competition
Timed, yet highly technical.

4. Cost
6-8 thousand for a/c stay and 5 thousand for tent stay.

5. Type of obstacles
Coming all the way for tame obstacles is no fun, tough obstacles for timed and for trial drive (with chicken route for those who want to use it)

6. Type of accommodation
Tents like Gokak.

7. Food & beverages
A cook out on site anytime.

8. Freebees and gifts
None.

9. Prize vs trophy
Either.

3-4 between monsoons and before the start of summer. At least a month between events.

Would you want a car wash facility?
Yes.

Would you let organizers keep you out if your vehicle does not meet safety criteria?
Yes, if safety norms be clearly mentioned before registration.

Include a soft trail so that new comers can see experienced guys and also try their hand on the easy trail
Yes. Different format where newbies can experience and yet mingle with seniors, watch and learn.

To experience something more challenging and raise my personal bar. Meeting fellow Jeepers.
fazalaliadil is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 10:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
9. Prize vs trophy In a competition would you prefer a cash prize or a prize in kind (like winch, lights, jack, etc) or would you prefer a nice big trophy?
Hi Tejas,

A cash Prize can cause a lot of problems. Large amounts of cash, in remote area's will suggest a Betting racket.

For example

Rupees 1 Lakh in cash vs 1Lakh worth of off-road goodies?

A cash prize will cause more heartache because different, will speculate differently as to what the amount means to them.

Plus Cash Prizes will have the additional headache of taxation.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 11:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. I expected a bit more inputs considering the amount of people here that go for events and the page views received.

For ease of people, let me break down how we usually arrive at costing.

When we decide to host an event, it usually start with a meeting.

First and foremost is the dates to arrive at. Ideally we like to give at least a 4 month notice. That helps people to plan and also gives enough advance notice to other organisers not to clash events.

Once done, we then decide how many cars to allow. Here there's always a debate where some people want a tough trail with stricter vehicle criteria and others saying easier trail with less strict criteria.

A tough trail also means that the hold up at obstacles is longer meaning longer queues.

We usually decide 30-35 cars max plus marshal cars. That usually goes up by 5-7 cars to accommodate friends and last minute land ups.

Once done, we look for offroading places. Usually try private land. We have this time zeroed in on complete private land that belongs to a resort and the resort wants a lump sum amount.

Nevertheless, going generic, you find land and you need to factor in 'permission' charges for the same.

Then you need to factor in stay and food charges. This side of town stay is expensive and if you look at resorts it gets even more expensive. The other major expense is food. You need to provide 4 meals: Breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner.

So accommodation and food turn out to be the major expense eating away into at least 75% of the amount charged.

Other expenses are under the following headings:
- printing: stickers/certificates/badges
- prizes: trophies/certificates
- trail marking costs: ribbons, etc
- freebies: tshirts, etc
- land hiring charges / job charges if a back hoe is required
- ambulance and first aid kits
- mechanics
- unforeseen expenses: usually we take that as Rs. 200 more per head

Till date none of us have charged for recces (fuel) which happen every weekend for the past 4 months and we stay back at the place 2 days prior to event. All marshals and o team also pay for the event.

Thus, its always a non profit event.

We hope we get sponsors but their contribution is more in kind which we give away as prizes. Tshirts are usually there to display sponsor logos as well and we cannot do away with those to reduce costs.

Let me answer my own questions:

1. Number of days

Atleast 2 days. Reporting one night before.

I prefer trail drive only

3. Type of competition

If competitive, prefer non time based. Don't like the autocross type format since it encourages speeding and jumps

4. Cost for event

5-6k

5. Type of obstacles

Difficult but not vehicle breaking. Avoid many rocks and deep water

6. Type of accommodation

Hotel preferred

7. Food & beverages

Packed lunch or hot trail lunch: anything depends on easy of getting food to trail. A place to sit and eat (sheltered in rain) preferred

8. Freebees and gifts

Doesn't matter either way

9. Prize vs trophy

Trophy

3 months

11. Miscellaneous
car wash and mechanics YES
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 11:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

1. Number of days

2 day event but 1 day and 3 day also fine if its under 200 kms range

Trail drive but definitely with some challenge (Read as: No estate drive)

3. Type of competition

Technical stuff, that's what offroad i believe in. If i wanted speed, i would go rally cross way.

4. Cost for event

Total cost 4-5k for event plus accommodation is reasonable for 2 day event. But cost has never kept me away.

5. Type of obstacles

Slush slush slush climbs, dips, articulation. More the merrier.

6. Type of accommodation

Anything with basic amenities and access to hot water at the end of the day!

7. Food & beverages

Simple warm food.

8. Freebees and gifts

Just sticker and a T.

9. Prize vs trophy

Competition Prize is more useful.

Same location every quarter, different locations every month.

11. Miscellaneous

I believe in old school fun with friends, roughing it out in some godforsaken place instead of being amid a cheering crowd lol
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Can we also have a separate bucket and tariff for non-participants, i.e. people who join as a spectator. Having an arrangement for them to park their vehicle(non-offroader) at a safe place etc.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 16:32   #12
BHPian

+ 1 Spectators gallery or some kind of live coverage of event by some channels can help with bringing in new talent and spreading the awareness ,during the event have sessions on safe driving and other knowledge sharing sessions .
Nanometer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 19:28   #13
BHPian

Q1. Number of days.
Ans: Two days of event, which should start with ice breaking session to build camaraderie among participants and a presentation on Do's and Dont's of offroading. lot of new offroaders have joined us and they (including me) should learn what is good and what is bad, else wrong precedence will always be followed by them

Q2. Competitive vs trail drive?
Ans: What's better than a TOUGH trail drive.

Q3. Type of competition
Ans: Skill based point systems. offroading is all about how slow and how smooth you are !

Q4. Cost
Ans: Not more than 4000 rs for 2 days. we got even offroad helmets, free mechanic support and much more in Gokak event for 4000.

Q5. Type of obstacles
Ans: Have two trails if possible (moderate and difficult). my choice would be to have TOUCH technical trail

Q6. Type of accommodation
Ans: Anyday tent with Bar-b-q

Q7. Food & beverages
Ans: As a offroader i attend any event for offroading not for creature comfort, packed food will do

Q8. Freebees and gifts
Ans: going by number of events we attend in a year, i will soon fill a room with gifts. nothing more than small gift

Q9. Prize vs trophy
Ans: Trophy. Arka also mentioned perils of cash. and there is no end of it. You want to recognize the best give him/her a good trophy

Q10. Time interval between events
Ans: three months

Q11. Miscellaneous:

- would you want a car wash facility?
Ans: Yes, but rates should be similar to what we pay in city. dont need ramp just a good pressure wash

- mechanics on site or a garage nearby would do?
Ans: its a fun to repair your vehicle on trail. but its good to have specially if you are attending event far from your town

-Remember additional facilities cost more money.
Ans:Why ? why not get more sponsors. If motive of organizing an event is to make money (not meant to you, but in general) than its a different story altogether.

- would you let organisers keep you out if your vehicle does not meet safety criteria?
Ans: Yes, why not. They know better than me about trail

- include a soft trail so that new comers can see experienced guys and also try their hand on the easy trail
Ans: yes. but how you will convince new comers to not to attempt difficult obstacles or how you will differentiate between old timers and new comers

Lastly:

- because your friend is organising it
- you have heard its a good trail
big YES
- you have never been to that part of the country?
- to meet other offroaders
YES
- other (please specify)

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 20:58   #14
BHPian

good to see this thread as most of the event are directed at the short body vehicles... and we are missing a leisure type offroad event where the family can participate along with children.

1. Number of days
2 to 3 days

my preference trail

3. Type of competition
-

4. Cost for event
depends on the arrangement, per day per person 2 to 3 K

5. Type of obstacles
suitable for long body 4x4

6. Type of accommodation
as my intent is to have family along, suitable considering that

7. Food & beverages
- no alcohol

8. Freebees and gifts

9. Prize vs trophy
once a year

11. Miscellaneous
Taking permission/approvals is one thing but being ecologically conscious/responsbile is equally important especially around water bodies and trees

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 19th November 2013 at 21:26.
ajitkumarlb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 22:31   #15
BHPian

1. Number of days
2 day trails. Report night before.

a mix of both.

3. Type of competition
If its competitive, time frame must be moderately relaxed.

4. Cost for event.
Around 2000 per day which i think would be reasonable.

5. Type of obstacles
Moderate to difficult with by pass for those who do not wish to attempt.

6. Type of accommodation
Anything decent/tents with adequate washroom facilities.

7. Food & beverages
Packed food would be sufficient for trails, good dinner.

8. Freebees and gifts
Stickers would do.

9. Prize vs trophy.
4x4 related.

Regional(monsoons terrains etc) and minimum 45 days after a reputed event.

11. Miscellaneous
Mechanics definitely a must on events(pay to repair). As Shudendra sir mentioned, people travelling long distances to come to events might suffer some unfortunate breakdowns. It would be comforting to be serviced instead of running around into unknown towns where more than often Jeeps create a "outlaw" effect on locals during events.

Reputation of the O team. They could be first timers or veterans but end of the day little aspects do create a lot of feedback.
Thrills.
Meeting fellow offroaders.

Great topic and thread. Cheers.

Regards
Barani
commander is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote