Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 6th August 2014, 21:45   #16
BHPian

Default re: Pics & Report: Kolkata Offroaders Monsoon OTR @ Harinkhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The transfer case is same. The advantage Thar has, is that, it has a manual shifter versus the electric shifter in the scorpio, which is sensitive to wading.

Offroad Thar is better. But the Scorpio is a better all-rounder, given that it can do many other tasks with elan.
Thank you, Anirban da.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
Interesting perspective. I am a novice when it comes to 4x4s. But, I was under the impression that the Thar being a newer product and tailor-made for offroading would be better equipped to handle the mucky surfaces. Seems we don't give the Scorpio its due credit.
I am not a offroad pro. But I love to try things out with different features of 4x4 vehicles. You last statement, that we don't give the Scorpio its due credit, is absolutely true. As Anirban da (1100D) mentioned, it is an all-rounder rather than being primarily an offroad vehicle.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 22:28   #17
BHPian

Great Stuff I must say. And excellent photographs Samba! Even the night shots were pretty good. Rating it a 5 star. Although I could not make it to the TBHP meet this season, but I was closing following the thread.

I happen to recognise the Black Scorpio of Mr.Sinha since I see it every day in my office's parking.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 22:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread, and awesome pics. I really do miss the opportunities of going out off-roading with UBS and his gang. From what I see, the off-roading scene in Kolkata is toughening up with lots of new people (and different types of machinery) joining the fray. Lemme know when the next event takes place.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 23:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Excellent thread, and awesome pics. I really do miss the opportunities of going out off-roading with UBS and his gang. From what I see, the off-roading scene in Kolkata is toughening up with lots of new people (and different types of machinery) joining the fray. Lemme know when the next event takes place.
Its getting better with every event too.

This one had a character of its own with slippery slush and sandy climbs with run up on sand itself (not hard ground). A river with a hard but uneven bottom.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 00:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Great shots Samba! The event would have been incomplete without a photographer and enthusiast like you.
Thanks a lot. Next time you visit the OTR with us, i bet you will be amazed seeing the enthusiasm of others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Great one Samba! Sheer pleasure to see the pics.
Was it a cross-state meet? I can see vehicles with registration numbers from other states as well.
Thanks.

No all jeeps were from here itself. May be few were bought from out station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
nice pics as always samba!

one thing that I do not get is how Marengo was rescued? Was it towed out, or was it something else (like planks under wheels or something)...

Please excuse the n00bness of the query..
Thanks a lot.

Regarding Marengo's rescue process 1100D replied you in his post so am skipping that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
Great photographs Samba. How's the experience of your first OTR!!!

It was a great experience to meet U B Singh sir. Recently he got a Lifetime Achievement award from RFC India.
Thanks dada. In one word it was an awesome experience! Its addictive.

And thanks a lot for sharing this information, i was totally unaware of it! From the very first meet with UBS sir i can say is, he is an amazing person.
I became a fan of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrendu View Post
Excellent pics Samba, as usual. The OTRs really need some good photographers to bring to the fore what all feats the able 4x4s are capable of. It was really bad luck for the 5 of us Sumitro, Joydeep, Deborshi, Saurav and me as we got caught in a very bad traffic snarl on the way.

Once again, thanks for the OTR pics. I lived this particular OTR through them.
Thanks dada. Yes it was indeed a hard luck as you, Sumitro da, Joydeep da, Deborshi da, Saurav da missed the event. Could have been a lot more fun with 5 of you being present over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Great report Samba and awesome set of pics, absolutely pro stuff. Too bad we could not reach the place, missed a good event :-(
Anyways it was good meeting you at the tbhp meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Thanks dada.

Yes you remember me calling you and told you to avoid the Tarakeshwar road and come by sreerampur and siakhala route. But i guess by the time i called you it was too late and you were already stuck in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
Great shots Samba.
Guys please let me know in advance if any such event takes place in near future.
Will bring in my MM 550 XD 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Thanks.

Yes definitely we will let you know once the next event is planned.

Quote:
Superb shots Samba. As I mentioned on your FB as well, the action shots with the front wheels in the air are just awesome. You got me hooked to 4x4s again.
Thanks a lot. Am really happy every one liked the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
Great Stuff I must say. And excellent photographs Samba! Even the night shots were pretty good. Rating it a 5 star. Although I could not make it to the TBHP meet this season, but I was closing following the thread.

I happen to recognise the Black Scorpio of Mr.Sinha since I see it every day in my office's parking.
Thanks a lot. Hope to meet you in our next Kolkata Team Bhp meet. It was also great meeting Mr.Sinha for the first time. He is such a nice person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thanks dada. It will be awesome if you can join us in the next OTR. If planned early you can have another Delhi - Kolkata drive + an OTR so double bonus for you.

Quote:
An awesome reporting and a fabulous depiction of events, people who know, will appreciate how difficult it is to convey the challenges of an offroad event through photographs, but you seem to have done that straight out, naturally. What's interesting is that, I cannot guarantee you that it will get better!! Because with time, you'll want to spend more time behind the wheel and watching the terrain!
Anyway voted "Snickers" to the thread, as I prefer that over "5 star"
After so much of appreciation from you right now am on cloud9!

Quote:
Anyways, one thing that I was wanting to point out, since I had the privilege of seeing the pics straight from your camera, they looked fabulous as well as natural and I cannot really say why, the pictures somehow are not striking the same punch to me now.
There can be two reasons for this-

1) Camera lcd always show the pics much more clear and its smaller in size so the color and every thing looks more vivid. When the same pics are transferred to the computer, comparatively they look dull.

2) After uploading in Team Bhp or Face book i have seen pic quality deteriorates as they are compressed. For the full resolution pics just let me know which ever pic you need i will mail you. And for a better view you can have a look into my website for these OTR pics.

http://www.sambasenguptaphotography....w/off-the-road

Last edited by Samba : 7th August 2014 at 00:56.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 06:45   #21
BHPian

Wow. Great pics Samba da. From all these photos I can clearly tell that it was super fun. Would have loved to see Avrendu da and the rest join in.

And yes this is the 1st time I heard of Marengo getting stuck. But good to know that it was recovered in 5 minutes. Never ceases to amaze what he's(or she?) capable of.
Sandman689 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 11:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
From a pure offroading perspective the answer would be Thar anyday anytime. Lighter body and shorter wheelbase. Besides the 2.5 engine has more usable torque low down the rev-range than the 2.2 which is incomparison a little more rev-happy.

However, Marengo's MLD helps, provided the driver is reminded of its presence and he revs the slipping wheel to activate it!
Anirban da - I know that both are equally capable machines in their own way. I have respect for both. But I do agree, I have a soft corner for the THAR.

Regarding MLD, I didn't have any idea on that one, so I did a quick WIKI, and gained some knowledge (Pure physics!).
And guess what I got in the process ---- found Marengo's video with MLD in Youtube.

Quote:
No battle, you are right.
Pardon! But I just tried to spark something up between the two workhorses and their masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
No all jeeps were from here itself. May be few were bought from out station.
Ok. And the Red Thar with "Raipur" on the windshield?
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 17:05   #23
BHPian

Great photographs Samba. Thank Anirban for pointing me to this thread.

I am especially proud to see my kid Blackbeast posing among the OTR veterans.
This being my first OTR, I didn't dare to try (in bengali: ".. ektu short hoye chilo") all the acts that Marengo was happily doing so easily and successfully . Not the Blackbeast's fault. Anirban easily took her up a slope where I quit after a couple of attempts.

It was only a day before that I got a recovery strap and two D-shackles from the US through a colleague of mine. And guess what? It was put to it's first use for pulling Marengo's tail when it got stuck going over a mound. Marengo reciprocated by pulling Blackbeast's nose while Blackbeast got stuck on the same mound immediately after.

Oh, what a gorgeous and fun-filled day it was !!!

Back in the USA, I used to own a Landrover Discovery for about a year, and in spite of many plans made, couldn't go to a single OTR event there. That wish finally got fulfilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post

Which office? I usually alternate between BIPL and Unitech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
It was also great meeting Mr.Sinha for the first time. He is such a nice person.
Thank you Samba. It was great meeting you too. I enjoyed our conversation on the slowly moving Tarakeshwar highway on the way to the OTR. You are such an excellent photographer and a down-to-earth person.
mr.sinha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 17:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I am not a offroad pro. But I love to try things out with different features of 4x4 vehicles. You last statement, that we don't give the Scorpio its due credit, is absolutely true. As Anirban da (1100D) mentioned, it is an all-rounder rather than being primarily an offroad vehicle.
Now that the Scorpio vs Thar match has been settled, what would say about the off-road capabilities of the Safari Storme 4WD? It has better torque and power figures than the Scorpio and also has a weight advantage.
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 17:11   #25
BHPian

I am based out at Unitech. Would be nice to meet you in person. Can you PM me your details?

But I must say manoeuvring the Scorpio into BIPL's parking should be difficult given the narrow inclines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Which office? I usually alternate between BIPL and Unitech.

Last edited by CountMe91 : 7th August 2014 at 17:32.
CountMe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 17:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Now that the Scorpio vs Thar match has been settled, what would say about the off-road capabilities of the Safari Storme 4WD? It has better torque and power figures than the Scorpio and also has a weight advantage.
Ha ha That was a good try! But I am not eating that. I can definitely take you for a ride

You may also like the just published travelogue http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3499555 (Chasing the Lama in a Safari Storme: Pune - Ladakh - Pune, 7500 kms)

Last edited by psurelia : 7th August 2014 at 17:49.
psurelia is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 22:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perfect.

Quote:
Ha ha That was a good try! But I am not eating that. I can definitely take you for a ride
Seriously, come to the OTR atleast, you'll start seeing your ride in a different light.

But be cautious of the front overhang and the front mounted intercooler.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014, 22:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, come to the OTR atleast, you'll start seeing your ride in a different light.

But be cautious of the front overhang and the front mounted intercooler.
Definitely Anirban da. Please let me know when you have news about the next OTR.

The front overhang of the Storme makes it a week contender on a climb with sandy or slushy surface because that requires higher approach speed. On the other hand this baby fares extremely well on rocks.
psurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 23:27   #29
BHPian

And again a beautiful write up and great explanation along with photos to feed the 4x4 eye .
I would love to join you guys the next time if possible . Would it be possible for you or other members to share what extra equipments were carried along . I do see few restored Jeeps and would be interested to know was there any modified fuel that was used in them or any of the vehicles.
I am from Asansol however put up at Hyderabad . If I have a prior knowledge of such a fabulous event I would definitely make it .
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 23:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritraray View Post
I would love to join you guys the next time if possible . Would it be possible for you or other members to share what extra equipments were carried along . I do see few restored Jeeps and would be interested to know was there any modified fuel that was used in them or any of the vehicles.
I am from Asansol however put up at Hyderabad . If I have a prior knowledge of such a fabulous event I would definitely make it .
All jeeps (except one) were on normal Diesel, the Gypsy's were on unleaded Petrol.

Apart from PTO winches on 3 Jeeps and the electric winch on the Thar, there were two Recovery straps with D-shakles. And of course, tyre inflators. We intend to carry a spare battery (I have) with Jump starting cables.

The Kolkata Offroaders group otherwise travels with UBS' trusted mechanics with their own tools.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote