Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 17th February 2016, 13:43   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Pics & Report: Kolkata Offroaders Monsoon OTR @ Harinkhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Since it was a Kolkata OTR thread I kind of ambled in. Everything else is good but a Monsoon OTR in Feb? Are we early or too late?
Lol.. it was Valentine Day OTR
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 13:53   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Pics & Report: Kolkata Offroaders Monsoon OTR @ Harinkhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Since it was a Kolkata OTR thread I kind of ambled in. Everything else is good but a Monsoon OTR in Feb? Are we early or too late?
Confusion. The Harinkhola report at the start of this thread was the monsoon OTR. The recent photos added are of a different OTR which has thread of its own

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...e-day-otr.html (Kolkata Offroaders (KO) : Valentine Day OTR)

It would be great if the posts related to that thread can be shifted there.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 16:24   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Kolkata Offroaders (KO) : Valentine Day OTR

Thanks Arav and Samba for the awesome set of pics. The very fact that both of you took down your sedans far away from the parking lot and deep into 4x4 territory is ample testimony of the off-roading vigor and enthusiasm that exists within you. As Blackpearl said, you guys were giving the SUVs a shame. :-)

No photos of SouraC's bike? That did a fair amount of off-roading too.
mr.sinha is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 23:05   #34
BHPian

Awesome report AJ-got-BHP, Samba, BlackPearl and PapaBravo. Very refreshing to see the 4x4s of Kolkata Chapter having a field day with a legendary Jeeper and his beloved Jeeps. Some very niely captured shots make this an exciting read. I wish to join you all on such an adventure soon!

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 17th February 2016 at 23:08.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 20:29   #35
BHPian

Great event and even better photos, which have captured the action vividly. Its nice to know that the Kolkata Chapter is so active...be it drives,overnight meets or OTR events ! A sedan in an OTR is new to me...goes to show the 'die hard' attitude.

Seems everybody had a GREAT time.
TheStranger is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 20:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

One very unsung aspect of the OTR's conducted by UBS Sir's KO (Kolkata Offroaders) is the importance given to recovery of vehicles.

In event vehicles are stuck or get into a situation of threat, the painstaking situational analysis alongwith the identification of the real danger/risk is something to learn from. A great deal of thought is given to restrict/contain any damage, be it a hard jeep or a soft bumper of a modern crossover.

Last year, My own Marengo (My 2010 Scorpio 4x4) had gotten into a precarious situation when the ground on the left side of the vehicle gave away while it was going through a narrow path.

With time, the ground on the left side was giving away, slowly listing the vehicle with time. There wasn't much side-space either to provide support. However, a jeep was brought about 15-20 meters from the right side to provide lateral support, with straps, to prevent rolling. While, although the vehicle could power itself out, UBS sir advised to rely on slowly being winched from the back, without disturbing the ground underneath the tyres.

A picture of this recovery

Kolkata Offroaders (KO) : Valentine Day OTR-img_44002.jpg

Even prior to this, at Harinkhola on the preceding year, we had two vehicles stuck at the same spot (it was Monsoon OTR so soil was too unstable, which was exactly what we wanted)

Pictures taken from the All-rounder Bhpian "Samba"

The black Jeep looked strangely stuck on seemingly what was the non-threatening track. Marengo tried unsuccessfully to go around it through a vertical climb after the pool.

It took time to realise that the black jeep wasn't powering the rear wheels and had the rear prop-shaft dropped and anchored to the ground (Which is what caused it to have gotten stuck) while being towed back. The recovery of the black Jeep took around more than an hour.

One can read more about this in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...arinkhola.html (Pics & Report: Kolkata Offroaders Monsoon OTR @ Harinkhola)

Apart from the recoveries, there is a team of mechanics who accompany this group. In this particular OTR, a Thar had damaged its clutch pipe, which was attended to on the ground (although I am myself unaware of more detail on this).

"Josh with Hosh" is the KO tagline and so far they have displayed it with aplomb. Being equipped (in terms of equipment and most importantly knowledge) gives us the comfort to experience this addictive activity!
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 21:30   #37
BHPian

Super photos Samba, Arav, BP and eveyone. It was a great fun, but helped newbies like me learn a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
"Josh with Hosh" is the KO tagline and so far they have displayed it with aplomb. Being equipped (in terms of equipment and most importantly knowledge) gives us the comfort to experience this addictive activity!
"Josh with Hosh" - this is super!

The presence of off-road stalwarts and proper recovery equipment gives a real peace of mind, particulatly to owners of soft roaders (like the Duster).

Looking forward to more such events!
GhostRider28 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 21:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

A great deal of thought is given to restrict/contain any damage, be it a hard jeep or a soft bumper of a modern crossover.

Thanks for such an elaborate write up Anirban Da which explains how these sessions are held with proper planning & guidance.

I believe the reason I was able to do these obstacles was because in the back of mind I knew that if anything went bad, we have a such an experienced backup.

Your personal intervention in all the obstacles I did was much appreciated and the reason I was able to learn so much.

Looking forward to many such OTR
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote