Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 21st September 2017, 12:59   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Pros & Cons of weekend offroading

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
This is the worst problem I face. Water eating up starting motors. Yes, they won't immediately show problems, but gradually over a week or two. Dirt enters the starting motor and eats up the brushes and bushes. That's how water is an enemy. If it's crystal clear water, I guess starting motor will survive longer.

Depends on the type of starter. The Di Turbo starter can't IIRC.
Nothing happened to the two Scorpios that went through the same place. One of the Scorpios went multiple times. Only the alternator belt snapped in one of the Scorpios, but I think that is unrelated. I thought Bolero Di was the more robust one due to the absence of electronics.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 13:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Nothing happened to the two Scorpios that went through the same place. One of the Scorpios went multiple times. Only the alternator belt snapped in one of the Scorpios, but I think that is unrelated. I thought Bolero Di was the more robust one due to the absence of electronics.
There is nothing electronic about it. The starting motor is a Electrical/mechanical device. Both in the scorpio and the bolero.

The Scorpio starter has a reduction gear IIRC, and hence prevents direct entry of water from flywheel side. Where as the bolero (Di Turbo Engine) starter IIRC isnt like that, and its easier for water to enter through flywheel side.

Also, the starter is not like an electronic device (mobile phone) which shuts off as soon as you put it in water. When water and dirt enters the starter, it gradually causes wear and tear in the moving parts, and increases the current required. After few days the starting becomes slow, like you have a weak battery, and finally dies.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 17:38   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Thar vs Scorpio vs Storme vs Bolero vs Duster vs Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
An Ecosport, a Brezza and an AWD XUV were also there but could not cross the obstacle due to lesser approach angle compared to the others. The front bumpers all these vehicles were hitting the first hump and we could not take the risk of damaging them.
Hi Blackpearl,
Based on your experience, do you think a Hexa 4x4 would have been able to clear this obstacle in stock condition?
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 17:48   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Thar vs Scorpio vs Storme vs Bolero vs Duster vs Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Hi Blackpearl,
Based on your experience, do you think a Hexa 4x4 would have been able to clear this obstacle in stock condition?
Hi Abhishek46, the Hexa will not be able to cross this obstacle in stock condition without damaging the front bumper. I think it will scrape the chassis as well due to the long wheelbase.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 18:38   #35
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I couldn't find the right place to post this but this thread seemed the best fit.
I really,REALLY want to get into weekend off-roading,but the problem is I cannot find any clubs or groups in my city.I live in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
Can somebody point me towards a club or even an individual whom I can join on occasional off-road sessions?
Abhishek3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 18:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Hello everyone,
I couldn't find the right place to post this but this thread seemed the best fit.
I really,REALLY want to get into weekend off-roading,but the problem is I cannot find any clubs or groups in my city.I live in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
Can somebody point me towards a club or even an individual whom I can join on occasional off-road sessions?
Search for Adventure Achievers and VARA on Facebook and contact them. While not regular, but they often organize such activities around town.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 12:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Search for Adventure Achievers and VARA on Facebook and contact them. While not regular, but they often organize such activities around town.
Thankyou so much,I will look them up.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 11:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Thankyou so much,I will look them up.
PM me if you're interesting in weekend excursions, I might be able to connect with a few Thar owners at the very least
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote