Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 6th February 2017, 10:45   #1
BHPian

Default Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee

I'm rarely one of those guys who plays contests on Social Media, UNLESS they're by Automotive brands. Got myself an awesome BMW key chain from Twitter as well.

So when Jeep India posted a contest, of which, the winner would get a chance to visit the Camp Jeep event in Mumbai, I went from 0 to 100 in less than a second. As luck would have it, I won & got the invite.
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-1.-camp-jeep.jpg

The procedure was simple, come at the event, register, wait for your turn to have a go at the track, and in the meantime, ogle at the two monsters on display:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-2.-camp-jeep.jpg

A few pics of the model on display:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-3.jpg

Specifications of the Wrangler & the Grand Cherokee on display:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-specs-1.jpgCamp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-specs-2.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-4.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-5.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-6.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-7.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-8.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-9.jpg

What I personally loved, was the massive sunroof in the Grand Cherokee:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-sunroof-1.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-sunroof-2.jpg
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-sunroof-3.jpg

Finally, my turn arrived, & I got a chance to drive this beauty:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-10.jpg

The most amazing thing was that drivers, who they felt were confident, were given the car to drive from the very start itself. There was a VERY COOL setup done, with two dashcams, one recording the drive & one recording the cabin. Furthermore, there was even a smart band given to me to track my heart rate on the track.

ALL THIS was shared in a pen drive with you at the end of the event as part of your experience at Camp Jeep.
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-goodies.jpg

VIDEO:
Some snaps with details:
- Start of the track:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-11.-traction.jpg
If you notice on the top left, there's an outline map of the entire track

- There were some steep descents, with the long bonnet, despite my height, I had some trouble in visibility, which added to the fun actually:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-12.-decend.jpg

- The best was the 50 degree incline:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-13.-50d-incline.jpg
Hill Ascent & Descent was engaged, & I was asked to stop mid-slope. It was shocking to see the stability & what was furthermore awesome, was that the 4L gear ratios were so amazing that even at a 50 degree incline & stopped mid-slope, it started crawling at 1100 RPM!!

- I've driven a lot of SUVs, & none matched the calm & comfort on such huge rocks as the Wrangler:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-14.-stones.jpg

- This part of the track was only accessible to the Wrangler & off limits to the Grand Cherokee, the 45 degree incline, with stopping & turning while at 45 degree:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-15.-45d-incline-curve.jpg
I didn't realize it at all! The was handled amazingly by the Wrangler.

- Grand Cherokee doing aerobics:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-16.-grand-steps.jpg

- All in all, an amazing event & a great experience:
Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-17.-ending.jpg

Key Takeaways:
As you can see in the above snaps & video, the track was split up in 7 parts, namely to highlight the below:
- Articulation
- Hill Assist
- Ground Clearance (Rock Mode)
- 45 Degree Tilt & Turn

Here's my take on how the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited performed at all these with personal driving experience & what we saw the Grand Cherokee do:

Articulation:
Wrangler & Grand Cherokee:
Key difference between the two! The Wrangler handles this far far more beautifully as compared to the Grand Cherokee. There was very little movement in the Wrangler in the cabin & no swaying at all. We could actually see the Grand Cherokee swaying with one wheel in the air. Not too much, but still evident.

Hill Assist:
Wrangler:
This is what Jeep was made for! End of discussion. During most of the duration of the track, I was advised to use the brake as minimal as possible. Even in the case of a sharp 50 Degree decline, the Wrangler would completely stop on the slope. It was first time in my life where I had to use the accelerator to get the car moving at such a steep decline to even achieve speeds as slow at 3 KMPH (shown in the video)

Grand Cherokee:
Didn't get to try this first hand, but from other people at the event, she handles this the same as the Wrangler.

Ground Clearance (Rock Mode)
Wrangler:
While this would be true for a lot of SUVs i.e. high GC, it's the design of the Jeep & specifically the Wrangler which gives it the true form benefit & the resultant high GC. The approach angles, married with the perfect GC makes the Jeep literally go anywhere.
As part of the track, we not just drove over the rocks, but the huge boulders so test the GC. You can see the details in the video at 7 mins 40 secs

Grand Cherokee:
Grand Cherokee is a luxury & off-roading capable SUV, that DOES NOT mean it can handle everything a Wrangler does. This was clearly evident from the fact that certain parts of the track, i.e. GC & Tilt were off limit to the Grand Cherokee.

45 Degree Tilt & Turn
Wrangler:
Imagine sitting in a car, with a 2.8L engine 2.1 ton car, at a 45 Degree slope & having to perform a U-turn.
That's exactly what was to be done on the track. And words cannot describe how beautifully the Wrangler handled it. The simplest way of putting it across, being that you couldn't differentiate it any different from performing a U-turn on a standard tarmac road.

Grand Cherokee:
Off limit to the Grand Cherokee due to its massive curb weight.

The entire track was covered in 4L. There was an off roading expert in the car at all times, Mr. Ravi for us. Very knowledgeable person with a lot of knowledge about off roading.

Definitely hoping for another chance to have another go at the Jeep, or best case scenario, hoping for Jeep to lower the prices so that I can drive one everyday!

Regards,
Rohan Sachar

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th February 2017 at 17:00. Reason: Adding some formatting :)
rohansachar is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Camp Jeep Mumbai - Offroading with the Wrangler & Grand Cherokee

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the 4x4 Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lovely experience and very nicely written.

This is why Jeep is the BEST! (To me anyway)

I sincerely wish that I get a similar opportunity to have a go at a similar track in the Wrangler.

I just love that Jeep!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 14:24   #4
BHPian

That must have been a great off-roading experience for you!

I guess this thread will enlighten people who compare ‘Grand Cherokee’ with ‘Mahindra TUV’ & ‘Wrangler’ with Mahindra built jeeps.

Wrangler is well known around the world for its off-roading capabilities. Grand Cherokee is also an equally capable SUV in terms of off-roading, with premium interior and comforts. These are Trail-Rated 4x4s that can take you through sand, mud, snow or any adverse conditions that one might encounter during off-roading.
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 15:30   #5
BHPian

You are lucky to be invited for this drive.
Real life adventures with the Jeep are really more interesting than this track.
I am glad that the Jeep is launched in India and pray that it becomes more affordable for all. This will also open up the market for quality parts and accessories for modifications.
nshankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 09:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Lovely experience and very nicely written.

This is why Jeep is the BEST! (To me anyway)
Thanks a lot Shankar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
That must have been a great off-roading experience for you!

I guess this thread will enlighten people who compare ‘Grand Cherokee’ with ‘Mahindra TUV’ & ‘Wrangler’ with Mahindra built jeeps.

Wrangler is well known around the world for its off-roading capabilities. Grand Cherokee is also an equally capable SUV in terms of off-roading, with premium interior and comforts. These are Trail-Rated 4x4s that can take you through sand, mud, snow or any adverse conditions that one might encounter during off-roading.
A 100% agreed. While the Thars of the world might be capable in their own sense, the only thing they have in match to the Jeep DNA is the looks.

What a Jeep can accomplish, is unique & no other SUV can match that performance & built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshankar View Post
You are lucky to be invited for this drive.
Real life adventures with the Jeep are really more interesting than this track.
I am glad that the Jeep is launched in India and pray that it becomes more affordable for all. This will also open up the market for quality parts and accessories for modifications.
Pure luck is all I can say. It was surprising to see the number of people at the event & the kind of people as well. Imagine people were getting down from an E-Class to get in queue to test the Wrangler.

I sincerely hope they start locally assembling the Wrangler & the Grand Cherokee. And I have a feeling they will, with the investments going towards the Ranjangaon plant for the upcoming Compass & the Renegade.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 14:32   #7
BHPian

While I agree completely and I am sure no one doubts the prowess of the JEEP, when one considers the maintenance aspect after a 4 x 4 Rally, I hope the JEEP comes at par with the Mahindra's and the Gypsy's.
This has to be considered by the Foreigner's entering this segment. And the fact that a 4 x 4, used for off-roading, will require continuous repairs and fixes is a reality, the parts should be made available easily and at a reasonable price.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 15:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
While I agree completely and I am sure no one doubts the prowess of the JEEP, when one considers the maintenance aspect after a 4 x 4 Rally, I hope the JEEP comes at par with the Mahindra's and the Gypsy's.
This has to be considered by the Foreigner's entering this segment. And the fact that a 4 x 4, used for off-roading, will require continuous repairs and fixes is a reality, the parts should be made available easily and at a reasonable price.
Absolutely agreed, matter of fact, there was a post today that FCA may launch MOPAR to support the service for all FCA cars, including Jeep.

URL: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ing-india.html (Rumour: Fiat-Chrysler to introduce MOPAR service wing in India)

Regards,
Rohan Sachar
rohansachar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote