Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 10th December 2007, 18:31   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Off-roading in my Classic 4x4

Well, its been a while since offroading, but thought I'd post this in our brand new 4x4 section nonetheless.

For those of you in Mumbai, Igatpuri (en route to Nasik) offers some breath-taking offroading terrain. The best part is......there is no single patch to offroad in your 4x4. Everything is off-roading! About 20 kilometers after passing the Manas resort at Igatpuri, just take a right *anywhere*. Yup, I mean anywhere. Keep going straight until as far as you want to. Or until you find a place to camp.

This particular time, me and 2 of my buddies drove off on a lazy Saturday afternoon. After getting off the highway, we drove west for about 40 kms until we could NOT hear / see any signs of mankind. Up and down hills, through muck, slush, rocks and what not until we found a place to barbeque.

Here are some pictures:

This pic was taken before we went up the hill (in front of the Jeep): Trust me, we never really predicted we'd make it and thought this will be one of those "famous last words" sorta picture.

On top of the hill and conquered!! It was damn difficult and we had to climb sideways over some parts. At one point, there were two dudes standing on the step-ladder just so that the Jeep doesnt topple down the hill!

Finding a spot to camp:

Found the spot!: The wind was so strong that we had to tie the tent to the wire wheels. And we eventually slept on / in the Jeep. Why? Cos there were snakes in our tent!

More muck...less BHP?

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice. Lot of people are getting "off" the road. When i started taking my Classic over such terrain i mostly found folks staring and wondering what i was upto.

To avoid a roll over or any mishap its always good to first recce the route, mark it and then take your 4x4 up the path.

Any more pics?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:55   #3
BHPian

Lovely pics GTO....looking at your engine bay, you were into some serious mud stomping! A satisfying weekend with nature methinks.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 19:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

That was some serious stuff. It is time to get your Classic back in off-roading shape. You must be really missing all the fun.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 00:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That was some serious stuff. It is time to get your Classic back in off-roading shape. You must be really missing all the fun.
I second that, off road driving is way too much fun to miss out, but the most important fact to appreciate is the guys who maintain such incredible jeeps. get your jeep back on track GTO.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 04:09   #6
BHPian

Cool stuff.
More pics?
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 04:25   #7
BANNED

Wow! This is some real Man kinda adventure. I'm sure you have more pictures from this trip. Come on! We wanna see more of it.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 18:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Default My kingdom for a good horse or an MM550

Here I am in living in Dharamsala on the front range of the Himalayas and I can not find or buy an MM540-550! Oh, the injustice!

Looks like great fun down south, except for the snakes.

Here the occassional leopard or brown bear drops by for a meal. You might be on his short list.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 23:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO good to see your Jeep back in action,
We are planning for somthing in this month, come along with your 4*4.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 00:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Here the occassional leopard or brown bear drops by for a meal. You might be on his short list.
You should be mighty proud to contribute to the survival of these fine species of life (even from above).

But seriously, these things are a great challenge & anyone who has been upto it with the trouble of owning & maintaining one of these should be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 12th December 2007 at 00:03.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 21:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default 4 X 4 on Team- BHP

Great to see Off roading catching up with Team-BHP and hat's off to GTO for sharing the pics.

I see that Chennai Jeep_thrills group had a off roading and training event on 4 X 4 WD along with Team-BHP on 9.12.2007.

I own a Gypsy 1995 model. I go on off roading in Bangalore along with jeepers and gypyers atleast once in a month.

4 WD vehicles are supposed to belong in off roading. Keep doing it and share your pics/story lines.

Dwarak

Mod Edit: Don't quote the entire post.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 11:27   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is time to get your Classic back in off-roading shape. You must be really missing all the fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
get your jeep back on track GTO.
Roger that! Will go engine hunting in early 2008 and get the Jeep back to how she deserves to be : A diesel with 4x4!

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2007 at 11:43.
Old 13th December 2007, 19:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear GTO,

Thank you for starting this thread at last.

I have completed some 27 Mahindra Great Escapes so far. You will remember MH01P2540, the little yellow Invader. It was messy, small, noisy, claustrophobic but it had fantastic 4WD capability. Only I used to drive it and how ! I can say with confidence that I have taken it where very few vehicles have dared to venture, be it the deserts of Rajasthan or the mud of North and South Goa. We (Farad and I) had great fun in one event where we were doing 80 kmph in Goan mud side by side (in 4WD high of course). Others could not believe it but they saw us.

I am missing this vehicle as it has since been sold (sob sob ! - I guess life is like that only).

I have seen your MH15K being worked on by our good friend Ferdie in Milestone Parel and I compliment you on your passion for 4WD.

I had my personal CL340 MH01P8300 which I had bought brand new from M&M in 1995 and sold in 1996 for economic reasons. I am looking to once again buy a good CL340. Please let me know if you find one. THE 4WD MUST WORK - IT IS MANDATORY.

I have original WARN hubs lying with me at home ------ you know what I mean.

Best regards to you,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 12:16   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You will remember MH01P2540, the little yellow Invader
Oh, you bet I do! That little thing was a monster. What kind of modifications did it have? I remember it did a fairly competent job of rescuing other Jeeps. Each event, I saw 2540 being trashed and thought its the end of her. Until she was back for the next! Mahindra could have used it for marketing how durable their jeeps are!

Quote:
I have seen your MH15K being worked on by our good friend Ferdie in Milestone Parel
Small world! Ferdie is going to be in charge of my Jeep from Jan onward too; he is to plonk a torquey diesel back into her. Do you know Mr. Godrej? He was my sole point of contact way back in 1997, when I was having my Classic delivered.

Quote:
I am looking to once again buy a good CL340. Please let me know if you find one.
Surely! Even better, a project Classic.
Old 1st November 2008, 17:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear GTO,

Thank you for starting this thread at last.

I have completed some 27 Mahindra Great Escapes so far. You will remember MH01P2540, the little yellow Invader. It was messy, small, noisy, claustrophobic but it had fantastic 4WD capability. Only I used to drive it and how ! I can say with confidence that I have taken it where very few vehicles have dared to venture, be it the deserts of Rajasthan or the mud of North and South Goa. We (Farad and I) had great fun in one event where we were doing 80 kmph in Goan mud side by side (in 4WD high of course). Others could not believe it but they saw us.

I am missing this vehicle as it has since been sold (sob sob ! - I guess life is like that only).

I have seen your MH15K being worked on by our good friend Ferdie in Milestone Parel and I compliment you on your passion for 4WD.

I had my personal CL340 MH01P8300 which I had bought brand new from M&M in 1995 and sold in 1996 for economic reasons. I am looking to once again buy a good CL340. Please let me know if you find one. THE 4WD MUST WORK - IT IS MANDATORY.

I have original WARN hubs lying with me at home ------ you know what I mean.

Best regards to you,

Behram Dhabhar
hey Behram, now i knw, man you were real amazing on that yellow monster. you even pulled me out once in South Goa, when i was participating in a MM540 2wd, thanks mate, never could see who was inside that one.cheers:
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote