sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 14:00   #62
BHPian

Spectacular Pictures.
Impressed .
aamir567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 22:44   #63
BHPian

Great Pics , would like to have more details about the offroad abilities of Tata Sumo 4x4.
prram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 08:05   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Same with Post #1 - Pic #1. The Sumo seems to be 'placed' there. The direction & to some extent, the length of the shadows of the Sumo & the other objects in the pic dont seem to match well.
Condor, Sumo is sitting right there. Thereís no real issue with shadow either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
One of the best landscape pictures on this forum. And, oh, we now have a competitor to Rudraji in terms of the same camera and also landscape photography.
Those shots are real breathtaking and NO, thereís no competition anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Do let us know a link where we can see more of Robert's pictures. Truly amazing pictures.
Yes, I like to see the same too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Condor - It may be modified using some imaging tool,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima
I agree that some of the images (the clouds or example) are modified. The pic where the Sumo stands in a valley alone on what looks to be a good road is too good looking to be true.

However, this may be wrong, it might actually look like that. Need some of out resident tourers to clarify.
When shot in RAW format pictures look very flat and dull (most of the time). The RAW format assumes that the image will be processed by a personal computer. Special knowledge is required to get the best out of RAW format. However, bundled software can be used to get the desired effect. But to go ahead with further fine tuning, Photoshop is a must.

Most of Robertís pictures are shot with wide angle lens. As sat mentioned about 24 mm lens, itís horizontal coverage would be around 74 degree and vertical of 53 degree. So to get a panoramic view he has to stitch his shots. I would like to assume that he was using a tripod as stitching is very difficult otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
This is one of "side-effect" of digital photography . No need of PhotoShop...the pic could have been edited in-camera to make it look surreal. This is one of the reasons why I cannot bring myself to embrace digital photography in toto !!!
RAW image is processed according the colour matrix, white balance and processing parameters set at the time of shooting. Surreal effect is purely up to the photographer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I agree that some of the images (the clouds or example) are modified. The pic where the Sumo stands in a valley alone on what looks to be a good road is too good looking to be true.

However, this may be wrong, it might actually look like that. Need some of out resident tourers to clarify.
Overall light quality is way different from what we see in plains. Colours, shapes and tones come out really crisp. How to finally present those is up to the photographer. Going by what Iím seeing here looks like a temporary job. If these pictures are finally for a book then they need to go through lot more corrections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I recollect reading somewhere that one can verify through canon software that a digital image has not been tampered with... if anyone does have this software I could ask robert to send the RAW files for verification.
Thereís no tampering here. It is photographerís representation of a place. Nothing to verify here.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 08:23   #65
sat
BHPian

Quote:
Going by what Iím seeing here looks like a temporary job. If these pictures are finally for a book then they need to go through lot more corrections.
Rudra,

It is a temporary job which he does on a laptop. He is not really familiar with photoshop, perhaps need to spend some time with rudra...

I will be posting some more photos of his shortly.

sat
sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 09:25   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I will be posting some more photos of his shortly.
Great. He has managed to capture the vastness of that place really well.

Eagerly waiting for more.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 20:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Overall light quality is way different from what we see in plains. Colours, shapes and tones come out really crisp. How to finally present those is up to the photographer. Going by what Iím seeing here looks like a temporary job. If these pictures are finally for a book then they need to go through lot more corrections.
Thereís no tampering here. It is photographerís representation of a place. Nothing to verify here.
Yup! You are very high so there is less atmosphere, less air. Also, the area is desert and semi-desert so there is very little of that Indian plains humidity, water vapor, in the air. Everything is crisp and clear. Colors of objects sometimes seem almost lit from within. The sky can be a deep cobalt blue because there is less stuff between you and outer space. Here are a couple of pictures taken in July 2007 standing almost in the same place as susan3004 in post #26. Different day, different camera, a 5 megapixal Nikon pop gun.

Some nights up there the sky is ablaze with a million stars and the milky way and they seems so close you could reach out and touch them.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumo 4x4, landscape pics, ladakh to Manali..-dscn2855.jpg  

Sumo 4x4, landscape pics, ladakh to Manali..-dscn2858.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 18:56   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
hi sat,
Amazing pics!!! Really beautiful. Please post more pics of SUMO 4x4. I have seen some military examples and they look handsome. They have stopped civillian examples from past one year...This is what i was told by the dealer. Wish they could rel-aunch it with TATA 407 turbo engine with 4x4, A/c and P/S. Iam sure it would be a good alternative to now the only offering, Bolero 4wd in MUV category. (Gypsy & Gurkha not included due to delivery constraints)

please paste more pics of SUMO 4x4 in action
hi vinod, The 207 4X4 is available in the market by the name TL 4X4 OR Telcoline 4X4.
We build Campervans on them. Visit Overlanders
GR8guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 00:24   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8guy View Post
hi vinod, The 207 4X4 is available in the market by the name TL 4X4 OR Telcoline 4X4.
We build Campervans on them. Visit Overlanders
Some states like Himachal Pradesh do not allow sale of them. I do not know why. Tata is soon to introduce the Xenon, a new pickup built on the Sumo Grande platform. The double cab version is to be available with 4wd. There are numerous posts on it at this site.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 23:39   #70
BHPian

Default Re: Sumo 4x4, landscape pics, ladakh to Manali..

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
there are so many parts of our country that we dont know about! i really wish I could go sometime! :(
Rightly said! We live so down south and up there we feel like its a completely new planet! Imagine how our brave soliders are bearing this weather and conditions to protect us! Its everyday job in a soldier's office! and especially the BRO engineers and Army engineers who laid these roads in the first place! What can be said about them? Magnificient? Awesome? Brave? Patriots? I just have no words for them and their feat. I am seriously jealous of the Men in uniform in TBHP and sons of soldiers who have visited these places. It always gives a special pride and pleasure to travel in a olive green gypsy or a olive green stallion/tata.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote