Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 15th July 2008, 13:44   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hey shahnawaz,
Nice pics, the extreme lean angle of MM540 is scary. Why did other jeeps take the same route when every thing got stuck on the same streatch? I see MM40, two MM540 and a utility stuck on the same section. Later i saw few pics vehicles taking the obstacle straight ahead.
Vinod, these OTR's are also an opportunity to test the limits of yourself and your vehicle. These are the only occasions where we all learn (by doing, discussing and seeing it in action). That's why most people tried that route, even if they were getting stuck. The presence of fellow off-roaders is re-assuring to the driver and he would know that if things get bad, there will be fellow off-raoders to help.

In fact the only jeep to clear this obstacle did it through the route that all these other vechiles got stuck and were leaning/toppling

Quote:
How was Gurkha performing? Does this also come into "morden 4wd with only show and no go label"? Was it too heavy for slushy conditions? How useful were diff locks?
The diff locks were of no use -- what will they do when you have no traction and are stuck . I think it's weight is an issue for such conditions.
However, I would NOT put it in the category of "modern 4wd with only show and no go label"?.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 13:46   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shahnawaj ,
Could you describe what did sibby paul jeep do to clear the obstacle without getting stuck where every one else got stuck? Was he the first one to go?
No, in fact he was the last one to cross the obsctacle. Siby is special -- both man and his machine. Also, he is from that area, so that would also help (but it did not help the others who were from that area itself)
Old 15th July 2008, 13:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
No, in fact he was the last one to cross the obsctacle. Siby is special -- both man and his machine. Also, he is from that area, so that would also help (but it did not help the others who were from that area itself)

That shows some real off road driving skill!!! :-) Any one has videos of the event? Especially this stage?

Post more pics and videos. Wish rain gods were more meherban , would have got to see more action:-)
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 13:56   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Those pictures reveal a land that is divine. Spectacular sights.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 15:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome to join me for an OTR. we will be having a local 1/2 days OTR soon. Feel free to hop in.
I'll be more than happy to join you in your next adventure (as a spectator / passenger ).
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 20:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

i wish i had a Jeep to understand the JEEP thing.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 20:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, E_L, Samurai should give a detailed OTR report. To be honest, I am being lazy, knowing fully well that Samurai will give a detailed report :-)
ha ha, Nice Pics BTW. How did you Gypsy perform? Any issues you faced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Ah, I see Patrick all soaked. How did his Landcruiser perform?
Where's Samurai?
The LC broke down enroute to coorg. Read the post from 1st page Nitrous!

Quote:
Also, the innocuous looking stream bed crossings turn into monsters as the slush turns into clay and something like quicksand and just doesn't let your 4x4 through.
Oh yeah, and there is a trick in powering up at the right moment - need lots of practise to cross such streams. Go in slowly, steadily and power up just as you come to the end of the stream - But in all probablity, while powering up, one will spin more than requried and get stuck.

The fact that all jeeps, but one made it is may be proof to that trick!

Quote:
You must be kidding.. I have yet to see an scorpio/safari in any OTR that I have been to.
You know there was a Pajero there, but was not taken forward to the OTR sopt because everyone felt that it would not be able to complete this moderate OTR.

The reasons for not many 'so called powerful ' vehicles being present in OTR's can be found here:
I agree, the powerful offroaders are all too heavy, have too much power and very rarely make the terrain. I remember a nice terrain in which a terracan driven by a not so novice off roader sat nice and pretty in such a stream crossing.

It took us three vehicles and close to 2 hours to pull it out.

Quote:
Shahnawaj ,
Could you describe what did sibby paul jeep do to clear the obstacle without getting stuck where every one else got stuck? Was he the first one to go?
LOL: He is the local dada - so no issues mate!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
i wish i had a Jeep to understand the JEEP thing.

You dont need a jeep to understand the jeep thing. If you want to understand jeeps, make an effort, off the keyboard to understand them.

Sorry no offense to you, but there are tons of friends out there, who say the same thing.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 09:23   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
.... BTW. How did you Gypsy perform? Any issues you faced?
My Gypsy performed very well. The only place it got stuck was in the stream. All obstacles were aptly handled easily by my Gyspy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You dont need a jeep to understand the jeep thing. If you want to understand jeeps, make an effort, off the keyboard to understand them.

Sorry no offense to you, but there are tons of friends out there, who say the same thing.
Couldn't agree more. 4x4 is something that needs to be understood 'off the keyboard'
Old 21st July 2008, 19:00   #39
BHPian

Nice Pics Dude.. You people had a lot of fun there I guess...
vinzrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 17:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
lovely pictures man, i never knew that they do offroading in heaven too. makes you just be there.
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote