http://www.outdoorrevival.com/old-wa...zen-lakes.html

Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 23:15   #152
BHPian

Default Re: BEML Tatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

A rare video of a BEML Tatra 815 8x8 winching out a Tatra 815 6x6 (RHD).

Regards,

Arka

PS - The winch is rated at 100 metric Tons
Sorry for quoting a post after 6 years. Arka I am sure you have the winch capacity wrong. The Tatra had hydraulic winches for its various models ranging in capacity from 78KN to 100KN which roughly translates to pull of 7.8T to 10T. If My vehicle had the winch to pull 100T then either my vehicle should weigh more than 100T or I should be suitably anchored which is not the case in Tatra. Even tank based RV or ARV have pull capacity of less than 40T with their dozer blades anchored.
Tatra indeed is an amazing piece of equipment with swing axles and huge air cooled engines. I have driven almost all variants of Tatra at speeds over terrains which no other vehicle in India can match. Sad that they aren't getting made any more.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 19:01   #153
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A very different recovery operation...
I was born and raised in the "Frozen North" of northern New York State and the Great Lakes regions of the United States.

It is an amazing sensation to ice skate or hike for miles and miles over frozen swamps and rivers, through intimate closed over forests and wide open windswept lakes. The only limit is how much cold you can physically take and how tired you get, sometimes trudging through deep snows as well. There are thousands of fresh water lakes and inter-connecting streams and, of course, the Great Lakes themselves freeze over to a thickness that can easily support cars in mid-winter.

To go further faster skates, snow shoes and hiking boots are turned in for cars. The technique is to go out and find an old junker automobile or light truck, fix it up only to the point where it starts and runs and sally forth onto the lakes and rivers. The doors and hatches are removed in case of a break through the ice.
Genrally the ice is so thick that a break through just isn't going to happen. Of course, there are always nitwits who feel they have to test spring ice, thin ice. Chains on wheels are often used. Generally, if a car breaks through the ice it is not recovered. It is abandoned.

It's another way to access a side of nature rarely seen. At day's end you return to a big ole farmhouse with a roaring fire in a huge fireplace to warm up frozen feet and hands and you drink hot chocolate and sip hot thick soups. You go to bed early, roundly exhausted after seeing another side of heaven and freezing your backside off.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote