Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 2nd October 2008, 15:02   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The GV was not stuck in the rut. In muthodi, it slided down into a storm drain from the slippery road. You had two advantages, no rain and lot more torque.
That was not meant to be a direct comparison, Samurai. It was a reflection on myself and maybe how much we relate to TBHP - the vehicle you are driving in an OTR gets stuck and the first thing that comes to mind is a thread on TBHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Didn't you guys stay in tents, so what bathroom rush, shouldn't that be rush to bushes?
Tents are for the Jeepers / Gypsys, SUV drivers stay in cottages

No, seriously - I had absolutely no warm clothing with me, had enough adventure during the day & evening and wanted to sleep within concrete walls. 5 of us slept in the cottage.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 17:17   #62
BHPian

One more learning from OTR

How to dive or travel in an open Jeep?

Name:  helmet.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  43.6 KB

LOL!!!!

--Sree--
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Hey HRag, that was great. You had the courage to take the Safari 4x4 into places where one thinks before stepping onto.

Congrats on your attempt. Now you should join the offroad gang in Chennai.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 11:21   #64
Team-BHP Support

Great report HRag. Good that you posted the pics and your report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
......Vikram is very sceptical of the Safari making it on the trail but I am adamant. Encouraged by khan_sultan / chandan / dwaraka, I decide that nothing is going to stop me. If I get stuck, I get stuck but let me find out if the Safari can off-road or not for myself, instead of referring to Google.........
That's the spirit . Now you know what the safari can do and what it can't. You now know where to take it and where not to. With a little more GC and A/T tyres, it will become even more capable.

I would suggest that now you come to Soligere/Thipagondahalli with us and then see that trail also. (Come without the Safari first time).

Look forward to the next OTR now :-)

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th October 2008 at 11:25.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 12:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Been in touch with Chandan Gurkar. He said, clouds are building slowly in Sakleshpur range. Could rain in couple of days. If it rains continuously for three days, the off roading trails becomes slushy and slippery. Means, right time for off roading. Jeep_thrill members are joining this time.

Please let us know participation for 11th and 12th Oct Fest.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 17:30   #66

Thumbs up

Hi All,

I am srinivas Kola, quoted by sakleshpur OTR team members as kittigadu & gang or kittugadu pal.

Fisrt of all sorry I could not post any till today as I was busy with my Office work, as I was in Bangalore last week to attend a seminar and my First OTR.

Fisrt thing to do is to register myself to the Team-BHP group. This is my first posting.

Words fall shortif I start writing my Experience of the First OTR.
Most of the expereinece I had are already posted by the OTR team members. As mentioned by other Team members Photographs convey only a part of overall experiences.

I already gave my introduction in the Introduction thread, below is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ml#post1002404 (Introduction from ksrinu)

I thank Chandan & Swapna for thier wonnderfull Hospitality.
I also thank all members (Guests) of the OTR
  • Krishna Babu
  • Shanawaz Khan
  • Hrishi - Hrag
  • Inder & Sapna
  • Harsha & Vratha
  • Sreeraj & his friends (Sreeraj please PM me the names)
  • Vijay, Rajan & his friend (vijay please PM me the name of other friend)
  • Dwarak
  • Vikram (he is really a king of the jungle)
  • Chirag (last but not the least)
Hope I mentioned all names correctly. Any mistakes please correct me.

Meet you all in Next OTR.

cheers:
ksrinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 19:57   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Sometimes the only elbow room that will do is a thousand feet on each side:
Attachment 55141
Absolutely loved this one!!!

Wonderful report and pics.
jagan0677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 23:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
One more learning from OTR

How to dive or travel in an open Jeep?

LOL!!!!

--Sree--
That is hilarious, I cannot imagine seeing that sight on the road. Who was that bold soul?
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 23:54   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
That is hilarious, I cannot imagine seeing that sight on the road. Who was that bold soul?
That was one of my friend. he is a hardcore biker and i had to convince him traveling in my open jeep is just like a bike ride on four wheels. so he was there with his helmet ON
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 13:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

There is so much discussion in other threads on how dangerous it is to drive on Indian highways the way we want - non-stop, long drives, etc. I am surprised that the same people think it is perfectly OK to go on OTRs - climbing up rocks, overturning cars, running low-mileage cars, etc. Do I see double standards here?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 13:25   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There is so much discussion in other threads on how dangerous it is to drive on Indian highways the way we want - non-stop, long drives, etc. I am surprised that the same people think it is perfectly OK to go on OTRs - climbing up rocks, overturning cars, running low-mileage cars, etc. Do I see double standards here?
Er...

What has rash/highspeed driving on the highways and the danger it pose to do with offroading risks and dangers?

In off roading everyone on the scene is there on their own will and they know the risks and the dangers and are prepared for it.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 13:33   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do I see double standards here?
Situation 1. Somebody's driving non stop for more than 30 hours (Thread heading says that) on unpredictable Indian road. Not many will do the same for their own/right/wrong reasons.

Situation 2. Somebody's is going for OTR knowing the surface conditions and risk attached to it. Not many will do the same for their own/right/wrong reasons.

How do you see a double standard here?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 14:07   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hrag : Sometimes the only elbow room that will do is a thousand feet on each side:
Attachment 55141
Well said. And I Love that pic.

@HRag, looks like that post really did capture a lot of the action.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 14:20   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess you never been to an OTR before, but many of us have done OTRs and have driven in sleep deprived state. So we know there is a big difference between them.

Offroading is a sport, done in very slow speed in secluded terrains where there is no other traffic. The people who are participating know it is a sport and aware of the dangers and they come with full preparation. This is no different than racing on track or climbing mountains. You are not posing any danger to public safety.

We have always cracked down on street racing and drunk driving in the forum since it causes danger to others who are using the same roads.

It has been proven that sleep deprived driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. Do you see us allowing drunk driving travelogues here?

Waking Up To Drowsy-Driving Danger, Sleep-Deprived Drivers Kill 1,500 Americans A Year - CBS News

SleepCare Center at RWJ Hamilton

BBC - h2g2 - Driving 24+ Continuous Hours Cross-Country

PS: In New Jesery (where I used to live), sleep deprived dirving is a criminal offense. NSF Statement Regarding Maggie's Law - Nation's First Law Aimed At Drowsy Driving - Drowsy Driving

Last edited by Samurai : 5th October 2008 at 14:27.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 14:27   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

@hvkumar,
Another risk that's not there in OTR's is that from other vehicles. We could have divided lanes, yet there are a lot more risks like cattle, pedestrians, may be oil on the road : the magnitude of the risks is multiplied since you are travelling at much higher speeds on the highway.

The OTR has you with a set of like-minded people, engaged in the same activity - and ready to help you when you need it. There's some one to guide you at those risky spots.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote