Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 2nd December 2008, 12:29   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
NCR Jeepers, are you listening? New trail.

Dwarak
Hi Dwarak,

You all are most welcome to organize an OTR at my farm. We can do something like a weekend OTR, wherein we go on a saturday morning and check the trail and on sunday we go hit the trail. Staying would not be a problem there.

So whenever you wish to organise the OTR do let me know.

Regards,

Randeep
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Seems like the American Jeep could not handle Indian terrain. Its being pulled around the trail by some jeep or the other.

What engine did the American Jeep have?

Regards,

Randeep
It did not had 4x4 operational. So should be due to that fact.

Quote:
...(an american one at that with a 6L engine) ...
Quote:
...Notice the 'american muscle jeep' with 32 inch monster tyres. This was the bottleneck as the 4x4 wasn't there. ...
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It did not had 4x4 operational. So should be due to that fact.
An American Jeep with a 6L engine should have taken the trail with ease ya. Specially with the 32 inch monster tyres.

But in the pics it seems the Jeep somehow had an over heating engine or something as the bonnets open in most of them.

Cheers !!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:01   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
An American Jeep with a 6L engine should have taken the trail with ease ya. Specially with the 32 inch monster tyres.
NO way. In 2WD that terrain is simply not possible -- whatever vehicle it may be with whatever tyres. etc

It was the confidence of the owner that his jeep could do it in 2WD that got him in this situation.

Quote:
But in the pics it seems the Jeep somehow had an over heating engine or something as the bonnets open in most of them...
The overheating etc was because of the owner trying to do the uphill terrain in 2WD and the stress because of it.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th November 2013 at 12:26.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dwarak,

You all are most welcome to organize an OTR at my farm. We can do something like a weekend OTR, wherein we go on a saturday morning and check the trail and on sunday we go hit the trail. Staying would not be a problem there.

So whenever you wish to organise the OTR do let me know.

Regards,

Randeep

Randeep,

Thank you for the invite. Contact North India Jeepers at Delhi/Gurgaon area in Jeep_thrills Yahoogroups. They are very active lot , going on OTRs once in a fortnight and have beautiful jeeps around. They also are wying for new OTR spots.

Good Luck

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi all

check this link for TG Halli OTR on 30th Nov 2008

Picasa Web Albums - Dwarakanath - TGHalli-OTR30...#

Dwarak
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:44   #37
BANNED

I admit to some cheating on this OTR - on the way back on the trail (after Jammy got stuck) when the sun was out in full glory, CJ3b (Vinay) and I used the A/C
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hrag,
you desreved it buddy
dwrak
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:51   #39
BHPian

@star_aqua,
You finally decided on an umbrella for your jeep.I can see the frame coming up.
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
@star_aqua,
You finally decided on an umbrella for your jeep.I can see the frame coming up.
yess Chandan sir. the work is going on like a BMP(Bangalore Mahanagara Palike) work. hopefully next time you will see my JEEP with a roll cage and the soft top. cheers:
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
yess Chandan sir. the work is going on like a BMP(Bangalore Mahanagara Palike) work. hopefully next time you will see my JEEP with a roll cage and the soft top.
Thats good. But dont tell me you are going to have that GI pipe & rain Cover for Roll cage & soft top
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:25   #42
c10
BHPian

hi all, feeling very jealous as i could'nt get the treat you all got with the OTR..

Great pics, spl'ly the muscle jeep..

i was out of town, came back on monday night, will try to join you all on the next OTR..

Cheers,
c10.
c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:09   #43
BHPian

any news on the status of the American JEEP???
after the gruelling OTR...
rangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
any news on the status of the American JEEP???
after the gruelling OTR...

Wrangler, had run out of fuel as you know. They topped it up, but engine is not starting. Must be some electrical problem. I understand from Siddarth Chennagiri that they had to tow the American jeep till JP Nagar, Ritesh's house. That was 10.30 p.m. i Understand.

Dwarak
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:27   #45
BHPian

This was my first OTR and I had a fantastic time. It was a very well organised OTR and the right group if you want to learn your 4x4 ropes. These guys know their offroaders and their limits, they do not have a cow-boyish attitude (safety of the entire group is very important to them and most importantly no show-offs), they are very friendly and never did I feel that I was new to this group cheers:. There was a lot of learning for me in terms of 4x4 techniques, technical knowledge, understanding terrain and also some recovery techniques. I look forward to the next OTR(s).

Members who attended were:
star_aqua - Vijay in his 82 Mahindra Medium Chassis Jeep: Cool chap, he knows his Jeep very well and is confident that together they can cross any obstacle.
dwaraka - Dwarak Sir is the youngest of us all and brings to the group a lot of enthusiasm, knowledge, experience and patience. He along with the other seniors ensure that all vehicles make it safely.
hrag - Rishi in his Tata Safari 4x4 is a very sporty chap. What must be appreciated is that his was the most expensive vehicle in the group and he was not one bit hesitant to taking his vehicle into the gruelling terrain. He was interested in understanding the limits of his Safari and he had a great time.
khan_sultan - Shahnawaz in his Gypsy is a very friendly chap, has a great sense of humour and an avid offroader. He is cool-headed, ever studying the terrain and vehicles. He knows his Gypsy well and is ready to take it anywhere. His wife Farah is no different, she loves off-roading too and drove the Gypsy in some difficult terrain with amazing ease.
S@~+#0$# - I do not own a Jeep yet and hold the record for taking rides in maximum number of vehicles on this day
MM440 - Anand aka Jammy in his MM440 was at his ever smiling best and he knows the TG-Halli trail very well. He arrived just in time for the most difficult part of the trail. His MM440 is well equipped for the job and can handle some very challenging terrain.
rangan - Rangan in his recently purchased Willys was with his jovial friend. I am sure he learnt a lot of things that day and also the capability of his SWB Jeep. His friend entertained us with a lot of jokes too, best was his phone call with his Boss.
CJ3B - Vinay was a hands on techie, knows a lot of Jeeps and recovering techniques. He was always willing to share knowledge with us and also made suggestions to other Jeepers. He and Dwarka were mostly invovled in spotting for the others and ensured that all the vehicles and occupants were safe. His role(along with the others) in towing\winching the CJ7 was truly commendable. Vinay holds the record for driving maximum number of vehicles that day:-).
MM550 Group - This group in their winch equipped MM550 were a sporty lot. They were very co-operative and lent their Jeep for recovery activities without thinking twice. Hats of to their spirit. Without this 550, we may not have been able to recover the CJ7 that day (atleast in one spot).
Chap in Baleno engined Willys - He had a ball. His Jeep had the advantages of a Jeep and the power/reliability/maintainability of a car. His Jeep had a lot of Ground clearance and was able to do the entire terrain with ease. His clutch may need some work, but overall, his Jeep and he fared well.
Ritesh Magar - Nice and enthusiastic chap in his Fuel guzzling, CJ7 American Jeep. I think it was his first OTR, he had a great time. He had a very a capable Jeep but needs a lot of work to make it reliable. 4WD should be first on his priority.

Please add any names that I may have missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
S@~+#0$# had my camera and has taken some pictures. I'm not swearing - that is his handle, his name is Santhosh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
i really thought that you were swearing.
but, could not quite relate S@~+#0$# to anything that i knew.
LOL.... "S@~+#0$#" is the equivalent of "Santhosh" in LEET

Quote:

But in the pics it seems the Jeep somehow had an over heating engine or something as the bonnets open in most of them.

Cheers !!
This Jeep was 2 Wheel Drive and this terrain was so challenging that there was no way that this Jeep could make it with only bruteforce. Infact, the enormous power from the 6 Cylinder engine only resulted in wheels spinning wildly, not to mention the rocks it was pelting at the vehicles and people behind (We never tailgated this Jeep :-D). It gave me an understanding of how important 4x4 was in such a situation. Yes, it had an overheating engine, luckily Ritesh carried a Jerry can full of water to quench his Jeep's thirst.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 3rd December 2008 at 10:28.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote