Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 10th December 2008, 18:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Lovely pictures of the desert. Arn't those huge dunes the ones off the Al Ain highway?

Do pls share your driving impressions of the car as many here would be looking forward to the Fortuner which hopefully should make its way to India by July 2009. Here apparently it would come with a 3 litre diesel. Do they sell the car with this engine option in Dubai?
These dunes are on Dubai - Hatta road.
Here Hilux comes with D4D engine, Fortuner with 2.7 & 4.0VVTi engines. Comfort wise it's really good and apart from brakes the vehicle is ok, there is a good amount of body roll though, due to higher CG. It has done 41500kms in 8 months (of which nearly 2 months i was in vacation) without any problems.
v1kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 11:28   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Here Hilux comes with D4D engine, Fortuner with 2.7 & 4.0VVTi engines.
How have they priced them there? BTW is it true that the outgoing 4.5 TLC is sold alongside the new one? Are they offering the V8 diesel on the new one in Dubai?

Last edited by DKG : 11th December 2008 at 11:31.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:07   #18
BHPian

The TLC 4.5 is sold alongside the new TLC 5.7. There is not much demand for the TLC diesel but can me ordered for the UK. The Diesel TLC manufactured in the UK is regarded as a more solid vehicle and more expensive against the Japanese model.
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 16:44   #19
BHPian

Hi Vikram,

Great pics and surely would have been great fun too!!

Once we tried the same in a Safari 4x4 at Sam near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.

Result: One almost burnt clutch plate and the safari had to be pulled out by a tractor

Though, this happend more because of some immature driving (it was around 1996 and safari was recently launched and we were collage boys not knowing even ABC of off-roading then).

All in all the experience made us learn a lot about driving in sand.

After that, I have driven all kinda jeeps and even a loaded Mahindra pickup on such tracks. Never got stuck.

Regards
Vinay Rathore
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hi Vikram,

Great pics and surely would have been great fun too!!

Once we tried the same in a Safari 4x4 at Sam near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.

Result: One almost burnt clutch plate and the safari had to be pulled out by a tractor

Though, this happend more because of some immature driving (it was around 1996 and safari was recently launched and we were collage boys not knowing even ABC of off-roading then).

All in all the experience made us learn a lot about driving in sand.

After that, I have driven all kinda jeeps and even a loaded Mahindra pickup on such tracks. Never got stuck.

Regards
Vinay Rathore
Even i got stuck the first day i was there, but the next day it was completely different, felt bit matured in those conditions.

Quote:
How have they priced them there? BTW is it true that the outgoing 4.5 TLC is sold alongside the new one? Are they offering the V8 diesel on the new one in Dubai?
Yes, the 4.5 V6 is sold alongside with the V8, not sure about the pricing though. I havent seen any V8 diesel yet, diesel cars/SUV are not of much use in here.

I have a small video of the drive, just one.
v1kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 23:09   #21
BHPian

Vikram:
Great to see you having some good fun bashing dunes; and you have put that many miles in just 6 months - Wow !!

Quote:
BTW is it true that the outgoing 4.5 TLC is sold alongside the new one? Are they offering the V8 diesel on the new one in Dubai?
DKG: 4.5 Litre in-line 6Cyl petrol TLC (the old GXR) has been discontinued since the new model was launched in 2008. The current TLC in the Gulf is available in following models:

- 4.0 litre V6 petrol engine (same as that in Prado and Fortuner)
- 4.7 litre V8 petrol engine (same as that in the previous TLC VX-R model)
- 4.5 litre V8 diesel engine (something totally new for the Gulf market)

The 4.7 litre V8 petrol is available in two options one as VX-R with the brand new Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (first in the World, apparently) and one without the KDSS (meaning, the driver has to use his head to drive on difficult terrains)

-GT-
-GT- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 11:16   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post

- 4.0 litre V6 petrol engine (same as that in Prado and Fortuner)
- 4.7 litre V8 petrol engine (same as that in the previous TLC VX-R model)
Thanks -GT-

Has Toyota done away with the option of switching off the front wheel drive (like what I had on my GXR) The car rode smoother as a 2wd when on tarmac, not to mention a good FE of 6 kms/litre

I remember the VXR was fulltime 4wd
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 12:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
But then maybe those tyres are meant for sand.
Yup, looks like road tyres, but i could be mistaken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
Vikram:
brand new Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (first in the World, apparently) and one without the KDSS (meaning, the driver has to use his head to drive on difficult terrains)
LOL, should'nt the driver use his head to drive properly at all times?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 12:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Has Toyota done away with the option of switching off the front wheel drive (like what I had on my GXR)
DKG:
No more 2WD mode. Fulltime 4WD High + selectable center-differential lock. The center-differential lock automatically engages on 4Low.

Quote:
The car rode smoother as a 2wd when on tarmac, not to mention a good FE of 6 kms/litre
Since the center-differential is a Torsen LSD, the on-road behavior is absolutely awesome. Yeah, a 2WD mode would have given a better FE though.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
LOL, should'nt the driver use his head to drive properly at all times?
Not necessarily in the Gulf. I am sure Vikram, Steeroid and others in the Gulf will agree with me.

By the way Headers - you guys have had some rocking time at the Mudaliarkuppam meet!
Old 16th December 2008, 00:15   #26
BHPian

Whats the offroad reputation of a Fortuner in DXB? Apparently, Toyota India is soon to launch it and this information would be of value to many of us.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 11:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Whats the offroad reputation of a Fortuner in DXB? Apparently, Toyota India is soon to launch it and this information would be of value to many of us.
Toyota Fortuner is definitely a very capable and reliable vehicle. However, it is priced much cheaper than LC Prado since (1) the design is based on an older pick-up and not based on LC family and (2) the Fortuner is assembled in Thailand and not in Japan.

As far as Off-roading is concerned, Fortuner is quite capable and comparable with many in its league. Due to the limited ruggedness of the vehicle, the 'professional' off-roaders do not prefer the vehicle since it will not take the beating that is subjected to a rugged LC or a Nissan Patrol. Fortuner is a popular vehicle for families due to its value for money.

I will leave the detailed owner's review of the Fortuner to Vikram.

In UAE, the direct competition to Fortuner is Mitsubishi Pajero. Lot of people like the Pajero because of its better (subjective) exterior looks and interior finishes. Personally, I like the interiors of Pajero way more than Fortuner's; however a reliability of a Toyota vehicle is unquestionable and therefore miles ahead of Pajero's in the long run.

Please see my recent thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...wadis-uae.html
that features many Pajero's among my own friends.