Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 10:53   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Hello banglore jeepers & 4x4 lovers,
You guys seem to have awsome fun!! Great to see premium vehicles participating in action unheard in India untill now. Great to see Endevour and Scorpio sharing tough terrian. Pavan must be courageous to bring his lovely bettle there.

Keep the pics rolling, taking too much time this time:-))))))
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:58   #47
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have a slight confusion here, I was told the owner of Beetle was Raghavendra, I even met that guy when the Beetle got stuck.

@Vinod_nookala:-Pavan must be courageous to bring his lovely bettle there

Sirjee,

My official name is Raghavendra and i am called as Pavan within my family circles and friends and KADAM being my Surname. I have two names.

Must commend on $@~to$# 1955 hurricane, it performed too good for its age.

Vinod- Thank you, you can call it courageous, The story goes like this, My Beetle is maintained by me in such a way that it needs to perform the toughest task any time i want it to, in future i want to build a Baja Buggy a 4x4 with the Beetle chassis and engine set up, just wanted to test the ruggedness of the engine and its suspension set up, hence got the Beetle to the OTR, Yes i am damn impressed with its toughness.

Also pushed it a bit because Dwarak sir was always constantly reminding me to stop the Beetle at some point and hop into some jeep, that pushed me more to put my 42 yr old Buggy to test. Sir i understand your concern for my car, thank you.

All i lost was one antenna and one tail pipe, but gained a lot in the whole bargain.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 4th March 2009 at 11:17.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:06   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Dwarak Sir, how did your gypsy feel with new set of tyres?
@Chandhan: looks like most of the work is done on your JEEP. some more pics please.
Vijay,

Tyres added more performance. First obstacle was cleared in one attempt. Great tyres.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:14   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Dwarak Sir, how did your gypsy feel with new set of tyres? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
.. Tyres added more performance. First obstacle was cleared in one attempt. Great tyres....
He he he. That's true. Most of us couldn't believe that tyres made so much of a difference. Infact, most of the folks at the base of the first incline were doubting it the vehicle would climb or not etc (of course all in lighter vein & fun)

Great going dwarak sir The tyres are awesome
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:22   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Bettle 4x4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

in future i want to build a Baja Buggy a 4x4 with the Beetle chassis and engine set up, just wanted to test the ruggedness of the engine and its suspension set up, hence got the Beetle to the OTR, Yes i am damn impressed with its toughness.
Beware guys a competitor 4x4 is in the making !!!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:36   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
He he he. That's true. Most of us couldn't believe that tyres made so much of a difference. Infact, most of the folks at the base of the first incline were doubting it the vehicle would climb or not etc (of course all in lighter vein & fun)

Great going dwarak sir The tyres are awesome
Khan Saab,

Thank you. After the failure at Munnar Trail, I decided to put performing AT/S before the next OTR and there it goes. Possibly now I should give some thinking on increasing power. Looking for Gypsy King engine and gearbox. Let's hope by next quarter, I will have equally performing Gypsy as yours, at the least.

Cape of Good Hope!

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:48   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
... Possibly now I should give some thinking on increasing power. Looking for Gypsy King engine and gearbox. Let's hope by next quarter, I will have equally performing Gypsy ...
Music to my ears sir. The more the better. I know of a few Gypsies that are already getting the lockers/t-case gears fitted and getting modified specifically for off-roading.

Quote:
...in future i want to build a Baja Buggy a 4x4 ...
And reading about PAVAN's Baja Buggy interest was just too good. We all need to build/take our 4x4 machines to the next level for some REAL off-roading.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:55   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

Khan Saab,

This goes in correlation with Suresh Stephen's remark that we are all still ametures in off-roading. Next levels are most challenging and fulfilling.

All gear up for the next off-roading with night stay out this month end.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 12:03   #54
BHPian
 
S@~+#0$#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 701
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Thanks Raghu, Starter, Pavan and others for your kind words about my Jeep. I am very happy with the way my Jeep overcame most of the terrain that too with my being a novice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Pavan must be courageous to bring his lovely bettle there
OT: Many of you who saw those pictures (including my dad) feel the same way about Pavan getting his Beetle to the OTR. How many Beetle owners would tow my Jeep 18km to the workshop? He is probably one of the very few people who use it like an everyday car. He already has a VW Beetle and a VW Microbus, but his ultimate VW dream is to build a Baja Buggy, which is an offroader based on another Beetle. So, the OTR was part of his analysis and he is not one bit regretting it. Infact, he is all excited after seeing the capabilities and limitations of his stock Beetle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Keep the pics rolling, taking too much time this time:-))))))
I agree, it has taken unusually long this time.
Mjothi, Samurai & others - please post pictures and reports soon
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 12:24   #55
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
My official name is Raghavendra and i am called as Pavan within my family circles and friends and KADAM being my Surname. I have two names.
Thanks, that clarifies the matter. BTW, who was the black T-shirt guy that practically chased us away we came to tie the towing cable to the Beetle? He stood like a goalkeeper and we couldn't get within 3ft of the Beetle with the towing cable, then we handed it over to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Must commend on $@~to$# 1955 hurricane, it performed too good for its age.
Those old Jeeps have stopped surprising me, they are as capable as any modern(??) Jeep/Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Vinod- Thank you, you can call it courageous, The story goes like this, My Beetle is maintained by me in such a way that it needs to perform the toughest task any time i want it to, in future i want to build a Baja Buggy a 4x4 with the Beetle chassis and engine set up, just wanted to test the ruggedness of the engine and its suspension set up, hence got the Beetle to the OTR, Yes i am damn impressed with its toughness.
I was thinking that the Vintage/Classic lovers would crucify you for taking the Beetle offroad. But I always liked cars/Jeep for their functionality than their age. Your Baja Buggy 4x4 concept is very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Mjothi, Samurai & others - please post pictures and reports soon
I have been very busy at home and office, not finding much time to PP or write.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 12:44   #56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Thanks for taking me buddy,

Hi Folks, its nice to see all the action pics flowing in. It was my first OTR and would like to specially thank S@~+#0$# for encouraging me to join and taking me to the OTR. I have been following the 4X4 and OTR threads regularly but never actively posted or participated in any event.

This was my first OTR and a funfilled sunday. I did not feel a bit like a stranger there as I knew everyone virtually. It was a visual feast to watch all the machines in actions. It was a great team, where everyone cared for each one and helped eachother. It was a good team effort.

I have realized that there nothing called "Non-motorable" after the sunday's events.

Looking for more action the next OTRs.

Cheers,
Nanda
Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 13:28   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Khan Saab,

This goes in correlation with Suresh Stephen's remark that we are all still ametures in off-roading. Next levels are most challenging and fulfilling.

All gear up for the next off-roading with night stay out this month end.

Dwarak
I dont know. I just think we need to find better trails. The last two OTR's including the current one have not really piqued the interest of those of us who have been into this for the past couple of years. Its a great starter for amateurs. But the recce's have not been too promising - and thats primarily because we do not invest in recce's. We expect somebody else to do it. We need to strongly look into the recce department and have some kind of passing the baton amongst teams of recce'rs to go out and explore, rather than depending on volunteers.

I'll say it again. We need better hard core offroad trails. Or else we just need to head over to Coorg or Munnar. In which case I need to start building a trailer - because there is no way in hell I am going to be driving my jeep all the way after doing trips to Coorg and Munnar.

I am sorry if people here disagree. Its just my point of view. Sorry about the rant - but its important to invest for the good times.

But bring on the pictures guys! So far I've seen just one of mine!
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 13:50   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Dear khan saab,

Well we actaully forget that it is the tyres which make the difference in a performing jeep,

I still remember your gypsy being stuck at the 1st Coorg OTR, in the last leg, You & your friend kept trying & trying,

And thats where every one saw the NDMS ( 7.00x16)making a difference,

Well the actual test of these tyres will be in the rainy season,

The very fact is that the level of the OTR has to be more challenging & for sure with less number of Jeeps,

& this where we should scout for longer routes with challenges, & Khan saab, if you recollect we had gone to MP's farm and when we were stuck the other side of the stream & we litterally had to find & make a way,

The trail done last week has more potential & i see the jeeps showingthe real power in the rains,

Kudachadri is the other potential place.
tillthen take care,

Regards
Vinay thomas
----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
He he he. That's true. Most of us couldn't believe that tyres made so much of a difference. Infact, most of the folks at the base of the first incline were doubting it the vehicle would climb or not etc (of course all in lighter vein & fun)

Great going dwarak sir The tyres are awesome
CJ3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 13:52   #59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I dont know. I just think we need to find better trails. The last two OTR's including the current one have not really piqued the interest of those of us who have been into this for the past couple of years. Its a great starter for amateurs. But the recce's have not been too promising - and thats primarily because we do not invest in recce's. We expect somebody else to do it. We need to strongly look into the recce department and have some kind of passing the baton amongst teams of recce'rs to go out and explore, rather than depending on volunteers.

I'll say it again. We need better hard core offroad trails. Or else we just need to head over to Coorg or Munnar. In which case I need to start building a trailer - because there is no way in hell I am going to be driving my jeep all the way after doing trips to Coorg and Munnar.

I am sorry if people here disagree. Its just my point of view. Sorry about the rant - but its important to invest for the good times.

But bring on the pictures guys! So far I've seen just one of mine!

Hey man... please practice what you preach... find some good new trails... i'm yet to see you find one in these 2 years that you are talking about... it is all fine to be keyboard warriors thrilled about outings etc ... bangalore is blessed with fantastic surroundings... the number of trails you can find within a few kilometers out of town is huge.... get off the keyboard and get off the road dude...

cheers


Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th March 2009 at 15:30. Reason: Please see note in post.
ragpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:07   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragpicker View Post
Hey man... please practice what you preach... find some good new trails... i'm yet to see you find one in these 2 years that you are talking about... it is all fine to be keyboard warriors thrilled about outings etc ... bangalore is blessed with fantastic surroundings... the number of trails you can find within a few kilometers out of town is huge.... get off the keyboard and get off the road dude...

cheers
Uhh, who are you man? Real name please

Secondly, I completed the recce for the TG Halli route which is pretty much the most devastating route we have done in 2008. Every single trip has maimed an offroader and his machine there. The original recce was begun by Mukund and Chethan. Round two + completion was done by Srini and me, wherein Srini screwed his axle, properller shaft, radiator fan etc, and I had to tow him back all the way from within the terrain back into bangalore.
So even though its nothing much, that should answer your question about me being a keyboard warrior. I am not going to put down a show of attendance, because I dont even know who you are! 99% of the crowd in JT know me as a regular on the offroad circuit.

I am not saying that nobody is doing recce's. I am just saying that its always been Mukund recently and many of the senior hands who do it. If you see the start of this thread, I had originally planned to start it as a recce and not a full blown OTR. Then it became an OTR because of the multitude of people who confirmed. Obviously we cannot say no to people.

Lastly, almost all the corresponding areas which have hard core OTR spots have been literally finished up. Ramnagaram, Choddemhalli, TG Halli, Solegiri, Muthati, are just to name a few. We pretty much end up going to the same trails time and again.

Maybe you and I can team up one of these week ends and explore a new trail? What say? Send me a PM, or send out a shout on JeepThrills and I am game for it. Get a tow rope because I dont have one. If you have winch, all the better. Like I said, recce's should get a little more professional, and we should literally have a pool of 5 jeepers every fortnight from where we can take atleast three folks out for a trail hunt.

I will get into a one-on-one about this with a few other people and put together the names of all the jeepers here. Then ideally we should carve out groups of people with 1 senior hand on board each group who can go out and do a particular recce that month. The next month, the next group can go for it. And so on and so forth. Maybe this needs a separate thread. Mod's can do the needful and we can take the discussion up there. It may be titled *Offroad Recces - Bangalore*.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics & Vids: Wheelies on trucks and other non-two wheelers! sumitkalindi Commercial Vehicles 63 15th July 2016 16:59
Savandurga OTR Event on March 1st 2009: Detailed report Samurai 4x4 Excursions 47 13th March 2009 20:30
Bangalore 4x4 offroad - 1st March (Sunday) -- Savandurga Trail Red Liner 4x4 Excursions 89 3rd March 2009 00:09
Driving Grand Vitara on Snow...(pics&vids) AMAN_SACHDEV Travelogues 29 30th October 2008 23:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:34.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks