Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 1st April 2009, 10:56   #46
BHPian

Hi Brutas,

We have been towing our MB's and GPW's behind the 540's ,550's or 3B's. I was trying to find out from Ford if i can fix up a tow hook behind my Endavour, but they refused saying that the same is not designed to tow. Still trying to find a way out??

Cheers

Sarvinder
willys MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 14:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

Roshun, would you like add your two cents or pence??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
But where did you find the receiver ball hook to tow it. The ones that are available behind the Scorpio or the Pajero look pathetic, and seems like they would'nt handle the load. The Scorpio's hook is nothing but a joke.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 16:35   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys MB View Post
Hi Brutas,

We have been towing our MB's and GPW's behind the 540's ,550's or 3B's. I was trying to find out from Ford if i can fix up a tow hook behind my Endavour, but they refused saying that the same is not designed to tow. Still trying to find a way out??

Cheers

Sarvinder
Sarvinder: You should check on the Thailand Ford web-site. I am sure you can order it from Thailand, since the Ford Endy/Ranger are manufactured and sold there and I would imagine that they will provide a two hook.
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 17:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Oh, just noticed, what is the contraption fixed to this jeep on the front ?? Is it a camera for recording?

hi,the contraption is a fixed tow,you dont have to sit and steer the vehicle when towed with this fixed tow.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2009 at 17:53. Reason: fixed message quote
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 17:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Does it elevates front two wheels or controls their direction.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 18:09   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Sarvinder: You should check on the Thailand Ford web-site. I am sure you can order it from Thailand, since the Ford Endy/Ranger are manufactured and sold there and I would imagine that they will provide a two hook.
Thanks , will check out the same. Cheers

Yogesh,: It does not lift the wheels, me and RB fixed towed our WW II's to Jaipur without any driver in the towed jeeps.

Sarvinder
Old 1st April 2009, 21:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys MB View Post
We have been towing our MB's and GPW's behind the 540's ,550's or 3B's. I was trying to find out from Ford if i can fix up a tow hook behind my Endavour, but they refused saying that the same is not designed to tow. Still trying to find a way out?
Hi Sarvinderji,
I havn't seen an Endavour with either a pintle hook nor a tow hitch, thought there is a local politician (manpreet badal) who has somehow got this contraption made to mount a pintle hook behind both his Toyota Qualis and the Innova to tow his WW2 jeeps(theres a person here who has a tow receiver hitch behind his Scoda for a trailer). Since neither of these vehicles have any sort of support to the rear most chassis ladder, like the v-shape re-enforcements to the jeeps, i wonder how stury the design is. I have never looked at the undercarraige of the Endavour and therefore am not sure at the what kind of an chassis re-enforcements it might have, but its basically a Ford Ranger/Mazda pickup with a canopy behind it, and in both the Thai and the American markets, the Tow hitch in an popular accessory, and i know for certain there are Tow receiver hitchs available for the Ranger in the U.S.A. Since the dealership guys aren't helping you out, they for certain wouldn't take any responsibility, so its going to be at your risk.

Infact, i had a look at the 4x4 Scorpio that comes with a really sorry looking tow hitch, and it too doesn't have any support, though they can be forgiven since i think they put it there merely for the "looks".

A lunette ring and a pintle hook combination i can understand since they are commonly available here, but this jeep in the photographs uses an American type trailing tow bar, for which an tow receiver hitch must be utilized. All vehicles here, be it the 4x4 Scorpio and even the Pajero use a very dubious looking tow hitch, so please do tell me which tow hitch are you using, or which ones of the lot do you think is strong enough for the job. The Willys still weights about just 1 ton, and i was wondering if there would be any tow receiver for a 2 ton capacity readily available in India. Thanks
Bikram
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 22:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev and Guys,
You all had a real time out didn't you?
Each picture speaks, FUN.
Also let us know where and what was for lunch.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:55   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Harjeev and Guys,
You all had a real time out didn't you?
Each picture speaks, FUN.
Also let us know where and what was for lunch.
Hi Fazalaliadil,

The food is also a highlight of our OTRs. This time we had Puri Alloo, Stuffed Parathas, Salami Sandwiches, Paneer Bhurji, Roast meat marinated in Mustard and Honey slices, Chicken Salamis, veg sandwichs etc.

It fun all the way

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd April 2009 at 08:02. Reason: No discussion of Alcohol permitted
Tusker4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:16   #55
Team-BHP Support

Default The journey back

Finally it was time to head back
Name:  500560556_S47FrL.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  135.6 KB
WE started towards the tree, but saw not many people coming
Name:  500561046_gdXaxL.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  162.5 KB
After all it was time for more obstacles
Name:  500562247_eas5FL.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  204.8 KB
This was a narrow jeep only ditch. Going down was doable, but coming up was the real challenge
One by one the jeeps went down
Name:  500562804_VecjFL.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  231.9 KB
The LHD
Name:  500563397_mfDKaL.jpg
Size:  241.7 KB
Lakshman tried coming up, but was unable to make it first attempt
Name:  500564683_LzBdLL.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  234.8 KB
I did not hang around for long, it was too hot!
But I did see that the sand tired jeep made it without any trouble
Name:  500566723_HwePbL.jpg
Size:  220.2 KB
The Willys also tried it, but.....
Name:  500567308_RGaQ8L.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  199.4 KB
Now I know what does OTR in an open jeep mean
Name:  500567950_FNkzjL.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  229.1 KB

Thats all from my side!

After that it was the drive back to the tree. From there me and rhandle on his Gurkha went first, and as Gurkha crossed the chasm in road, I heard a loud thunk of metal on tarmac.
As I was wondering how to go about it, Roshun came, and we could cross with ease!

What a fun experience! Makes me want to buy a gypsy
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Hi Fazalaliadil,

The food is also a highlight of our OTRs. This time we had Puri Alloo, Stuffed Parathas, Salami Sandwiches, Paneer Bhurji, Roast meat marinated in Mustard and Honey slices, Chicken Salamis, veg sandwichs etc.

It fun all the way

And all this was for breakfast.
We guys dint have lunch, as well... our star chef and dear friend Arjun was not there for this OTR.
WIll be there for the one on the coming saturday though... We are planning to have a night OTR this time. Start at 4 and finish off around 10ish.

Last edited by harjeev : 2nd April 2009 at 08:32.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sarvinderji,
I havn't seen an Endavour with either a pintle hook nor a tow hitch, thought there is a local politician (manpreet badal) who has somehow got this contraption made to mount a pintle hook behind both his Toyota Qualis and the Innova to tow his WW2 jeeps(theres a person here who has a tow receiver hitch behind his Scoda for a trailer). Since neither of these vehicles have any sort of support to the rear most chassis ladder, like the v-shape re-enforcements to the jeeps, i wonder how stury the design is. I have never looked at the undercarraige of the Endavour and therefore am not sure at the what kind of an chassis re-enforcements it might have, but its basically a Ford Ranger/Mazda pickup with a canopy behind it, and in both the Thai and the American markets, the Tow hitch in an popular accessory, and i know for certain there are Tow receiver hitchs available for the Ranger in the U.S.A. Since the dealership guys aren't helping you out, they for certain wouldn't take any responsibility, so its going to be at your risk.

Infact, i had a look at the 4x4 Scorpio that comes with a really sorry looking tow hitch, and it too doesn't have any support, though they can be forgiven since i think they put it there merely for the "looks".

A lunette ring and a pintle hook combination i can understand since they are commonly available here, but this jeep in the photographs uses an American type trailing tow bar, for which an tow receiver hitch must be utilized. All vehicles here, be it the 4x4 Scorpio and even the Pajero use a very dubious looking tow hitch, so please do tell me which tow hitch are you using, or which ones of the lot do you think is strong enough for the job. The Willys still weights about just 1 ton, and i was wondering if there would be any tow receiver for a 2 ton capacity readily available in India. Thanks
Bikram
Hi Bikram,

I aling with Mandeep are working on how to fix a pintale hook on my Endy. The pintale hook we have been using are the original ones' fixed on the MB's and GPW's and also the normal ones which are fixed on the 3B and 550's. The Fixed tow which Mandeep had designed and made for my MB and RB's GPW are much stronger then the one shown in the pic on Laxmans MB and can be easily used to tow may be a 3 tonner. Mandeep has his factory in Ludhiana, you can get in touch with him on 09871044665.

Cheers
Sarvinder
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:26   #58
BHPian

Thank you Sarvinderji,
Although, if building just a few peices, you can try Mayapuri and Phatankot. I got a lunette ring from Phatankot for building the same kind of tow bar probably an year or so back. I did not want the bulky ones like in the ones M series trailers , but the Indian-made series of Army trailers, both the braked and unbraked ones, use a smaller Lunette ring that while serving the purpose pretty, also looks better. Just the 1 foot long ring along with the spring cost me about a 100 bucks. Now i just have to build the A-arms, etc. I understand we might be just a few people interested in these, and i really admire Mandeep making the tow-bars, but we could help him cut down costs(if he is just making a few), by using some stuff from the scrap market.
Take care,
Bikram
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:45   #59
BHPian

Roshun - still waiting for the pics anil took. Pls put some here!

Tanveer - You should get a gypsy, saw good condition mpfi - ex-army at mayapuri for 2L. It was a drive away vehicle!! it will be more fun to drive off road than the Safari.

Cheers
Ankit
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sarvinderji,
Although, if building just a few peices, you can try Mayapuri and Phatankot. I got a lunette ring from Phatankot for building the same kind of tow bar probably an year or so back. I did not want the bulky ones like in the ones M series trailers , but the Indian-made series of Army trailers, both the braked and unbraked ones, use a smaller Lunette ring that while serving the purpose pretty, also looks better. Just the 1 foot long ring along with the spring cost me about a 100 bucks. Now i just have to build the A-arms, etc. I understand we might be just a few people interested in these, and i really admire Mandeep making the tow-bars, but we could help him cut down costs(if he is just making a few), by using some stuff from the scrap market.
Take care,
Bikram
Thanks Bikram,

Dear Mandeep, looking forward to your inputs. Cheers