Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 31st August 2009, 16:08   #181
Senior - BHPian

wicked wheels - classic was with mudzillaz,

i hope Mohan now you are not scared, hope you enjoyed your first experience.

off topic - i saw the A4 again. wink
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 16:47   #182
BHPian

hey guys where are the pics
adarvesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:54   #183
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
you guys driving in bonnet deep water
Bonnet deep water for 10 seconds! It was crazy. The Paj's bonnet scoop was also sucking in water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
gto: time for some new footwear
You can say that again. Though I have tread depth, the rubber has gotten too hard with 5 years under the belt.

Quote:
the classic with mudzilla looked and performed well at rajmanchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
wicked wheels - classic was with mudzillaz,
This, I have to see. Pictures & size specs please.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 22:41   #184
BHPian

Default My first Off roading experience.;Rajmachi

It was my very first off-roading experience.Rahul landed from Delhi like an angel to give me my first lessons in off-road driving.All the guys who assembled were very co-operative and made me feel at home.I felt like a kid amongst grownups.
Initially I used to shake and tremble at Rahuls ideas..what take this incline? are you nuts,this cant be done and Rahul just got my Gurkha down a 75 degree incline without as much as blinking.All the way I heard Rahul screaming"take your foot off from the clutch man..no brakes..take the low second and dont let go the acclerator...".
At one point I badly got stuck in slush,Ibrahim was out shouting out means and methods to get out , Rahul had to take the drivers seat to get the vehicle out.
Thanks to Devang and all his mates I got my basic crash course in off-roading. From inclines,slush,boulders,flowing water,use of winch ,vehicle recovery and what the hell..I had to tow a failed Tucson from slush to inclines ,right till Lonavala. Thanks to James,Allan et al.
I had got my complete photography gear including a tripod,lenses etc..but I had no time left to take good pictures.A few which I could gather I am putting on the forum.
Hell of a ride and thanks again to Rahul and Devang.
Life changed for me on 30th August,I mean really
Attached Images

Last edited by mohan : 31st August 2009 at 22:52.
mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 23:51   #185
BHPian

Excellent trip. Worth flying from Delhi to attend this one!

Dr. Mohan you did great job as a first timer off-roader. I am sure next time you would be able to do this alone very easily. You just needed to have some confidence on your vehicle and yourself, I am very sure you are a changed man now. Except for that one climb Dr. Mohan completed the entire course easily and especially while towing the Tucson back home through all that stuff. Fell in love with Gurkha again. (Force has changed certain things in Mohan's Gurkha which I pointed in my threads... was it me or just better sense prevailed.)

Devang it was my friend from Daman who was on Tucson. Considering he has never gone off-raoding before and the Tucson had street tyres it did pretty well climbing over till it got stuck. In fact that slush was of that kind that any one's jeep present over there would have got stuck. The clutch is gone - expenses approximated 30K time for repair 2 days but still those guys feel it was worth the trip.

This place is so scenic and wonderful as compared to the ones we do in NIOC. The only thing which troubled me was lack of respect for time most probably if we compare it to NIOC, and also this gang is pretty young if we consider the average age in NIOC. But then this gang is true mastee gang in perfect Mumbaiya sense!

I would any day love to do this track again with this gang. Loved the sense of humor, the fun and relaxed environment which was very friendly.

Last edited by rhandle : 31st August 2009 at 23:54.
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 00:07   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Initially I used to shake and tremble at Rahuls ideas..what take this incline? are you nuts,this cant be done
It happens Mohan. I remember how I decided against completing the climb to Choma Kunda in Coorg thinking my newly bought CJ340 would get damaged. Those were my early days of offroading. Then Romi Mallick tells me, "I don't about you, but your Jeep can easily do it".
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 01:14   #187
BHPian

Hi guys this trip was real fun. This was my first real drive in my own vehicle to rajmachi. The classic performed well above my expectation and more though the engine and the clutch are in its dying stages, will be getting it overhauled soon as i just got the jeep. Dr Mohan you did great over all as for the towing part it was excelant for a first timer and that too in that kind of terrian all the way back to khandala. Let me tell you guys the reason for saying that he done an execelant job is that the total trail would be about 10 to 15 kms in length with really bad roads,steep inclines and decends, washed of mud roads with trenches and big loose stones, hair pin bends and all thar kind of road to tow a tucson with a nylon rope all the way with out braking it (the rope did brake once when we got on the tar road) for a first timer was really great. Hats off to you Dr Mohan. Rahul i hope your trip was a memoreble one and not a wast of time it was nice meeting you guys as for your friend it was sear bad luck. (Rahul could you please post their names sorry i just cant remember them) but he too had a great spirit and was cool as a cucumber even after his Tucson had broken down.
whicked wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 09:31   #188
BHPian

Default @samurai,whicked wheels ,rahul

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it will see me through my apprehensions and self-doubt.
Old 1st September 2009, 11:02   #189
Senior - BHPian

Mohan, two more trips and you are all set to go anywhere, frankly speaking its good to be scared for the first time instead of getting too excited about being there, I have seen many guys who joined us, didnt know how to offroad but still wanted to run ahead of convoy, where in Mohan and his friend waited, watched the scene and then took it from there which was perfect. good job Mohan..

Tucson was on road tyers still did it really well, but he shouldnt have entered that place with those tyers. it was like commiting suicide.

James, classic did remarkable job in whatever condition it was, its going to be crazy once its all done.

I dont have to say anything about Allans Jeep. mindblowing (but get the windshield) lol.

Ibrahim tried really hard to complete the hill but it was too difficult this time.

overall i can say,add one more crazy trip in my list..

Hatts of Rahul for coming down just for this one.

pics and videos will follow soon.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:02   #190
BHPian

Too bad for me, I missed this one. Had to attend a family function . Can we head back this sunday ? My JEEP just came back from the workshop.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:11   #191
Senior - BHPian

allan lets go to this place on sunday or saturday whenever you say.
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:12   #192
BHPian

Here are some snap shots from a video of the last sunday's otr. Its the gypsy jumping up while doing the hill climb.
Attached Images

whicked wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 12:19   #193
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! The Gypsy looks ready for take off. Is that a large hump? Can't really make out from the video capture.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:51   #194
Senior - BHPian

killer picture. ask amit to put some more pics and videos.
Old 4th September 2009, 15:48   #195
BHPian

Whats that, a Gypsy or some air craft(modified to look like a gypsy!!!)?