Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 30th June 2009, 15:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Observations!

p dev,
You guys had awsome fun man!! Wish we had such terrain here. Rain gods ru listening??

The slippery hill climb was interesting!!! Wish i was there to try that out. To conquer that hill you need 1. power 2. grip

a. the 3b couldnt clear it as it has sand grip known to be bad on slush, plus he was in 2nd low, hence no momentum and excessive wheel spin.

b. The green MM540 (assuming that wicked wheels was driving it) eventhough had best of tyres but didnt have grunt to clear that hill. Excessive use to clutch to compensate was done but no use. Big tyres require 5.38 axle ratio to compensate for the loss of power.

3. Gypsy's with 1.3 litre engines had power + speed and with good tyres they could clear it in one shot

4. Defender's grunt plus tyres helped clearing the hill, all though it was loosing at the top of the hill

Video's didnt capture even one single jeep clearing that hill. Did that really happen? If yes then its sad!:

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2009 at 13:06. Reason: No more than 2 smilies per post please
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 16:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Vinod,

you are right on the target, jeeps were not getting momentum, after couple of attempts Green Jeep made it when James (wicked Wheels) drove it. defender made it one shot. it was loosing on top because allan didnt shift as far as i know.
Gypsies had no issues because the engine is peppy, but the terrain is really tough even gypsies wont be able to make it in July. we will need mudzillas for sure.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 16:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default Its all about power and momentum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Vinod,

you are right on the target, jeeps were not getting momentum, after couple of attempts Green Jeep made it when James (wicked Wheels) drove it. defender made it one shot. it was loosing on top because allan didnt shift as far as i know.
Gypsies had no issues because the engine is peppy, but the terrain is really tough even gypsies wont be able to make it in July. we will need mudzillas for sure.

Pdev,
I think it is all about power and tyres atleast in this hill situation. Alan clreared it as he didnt chage gears, if he had changed gear at the top of the hill he would have lost momentum. I saw even 1.0 litre gypsy having problem in clearing the hill as though it had revs but didnt have sufficient grunt!

July as you said will be a mud bath session here, tyres spinning helplessly and throwing mud all over. Some day i want to attempt this section, it will be interesting to try various gearing options in my.....

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 30th June 2009 at 16:36.
Old 30th June 2009, 16:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Vinod,
In this hill you will have to build momentum from start but most of the time when you are almost on the top you will require more torque and you will have shift to lower gears. you have to be quick while doing it or else you will loose traction and momentum. in gypsies we could clear it in second gear 4 low, but in july we will have to shift to second while approach and almost on top shift to first to get more grunt. frankly speaking you should know your vehicle and you should know how to play with the power band. as you said most important is tyers.

Last edited by pdev29 : 30th June 2009 at 16:42.
Old 30th June 2009, 16:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default quick shift

Quote:
Vinod,
In this hill you will have to build momentum from start but most of the time when you are almost on the top you will require more torque and you will have shift to lower gears. you have to be quick while doing it or else you will loose traction and momentum. in gypsies we could clear it in second gear 4 low, but in july we will have to shift to second while approach and almost on top shift to first to get more grunt.

i can imagine the whole situation in front of my eyes...would be very interesting!! Quick shifting is possible in new M&M vehicles and Gypsy's as they have suspended pedals allowing toe and pedal operation. Old jeeps loose out few seconds here as it takes time to shift gears at the right moment.
Old 30th June 2009, 16:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Great adventure and nice photos. This surely will be a hell of a trail during proper monsoon! A query regarding the alloys on the kaisers: are these available in Mumbai?
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 17:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Kandisa, I dont think so its easily available. you will have to source it from outside.
Old 30th June 2009, 19:25   #38
Team-BHP Support

So the Rajmachi fun has started. the trail looks enticing and once it starts raining it would be great. Right now in pictures one can make out the hard ground underneath the slush. It should be pur mud slinginging once the hard ground underneath becomes deep slush.

BTW, how long is this whole trail?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 22:20   #39
BHPian

Wow! nice videos, can't wait to get offroad...when are you guys planning to go next? GTO and all the other jeep guys lets plan something.
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 09:43   #40
BHPian

HI vinod thats not me in the jeep video thats Amit the owner of the jeep. THe thing was that he was trying to climb in 4L and was clutching to to change the gears in that loosing traction. He also tried in 4h but could not build up momentum. I think the gear ratio is not fully insyng with the tyres. Need to look at that as you have mentioned above.
Hey devang does any one have any pictures or a video of me doing the climb, or everyone thought it is another wasted try to climb up .

Last edited by whicked wheels : 1st July 2009 at 09:49. Reason: add a line
whicked wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 10:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
So the Rajmachi fun has started. the trail looks enticing and once it starts raining it would be great. Right now in pictures one can make out the hard ground underneath the slush. It should be pur mud slinginging once the hard ground underneath becomes deep slush.

BTW, how long is this whole trail?
Shahnawaz, we all are just waiting for that only, i hope it will be full of slush in july, but considering situation just after first rain it seems the season is going to be killer.

Trail is 17km long.

@James, sorry bro i couldnt take the video because i drove the gypsy on top and my cam was with someone else. i think they didnt take it thinking its another waste try.

@moto camp, dude we are going on saturday or sunday. you can buzz me 0n 99 3082 3082\98920 35153

@vinod, buddy i tried and got 7 point infraction.

Last edited by pdev29 : 1st July 2009 at 10:21.
Old 1st July 2009, 15:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

found one of the best videos of last year..

Old 3rd July 2009, 12:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

We are planning for a trip tomorrow so we can get sunday to rest, if anyone wants to join please post your confirmation.
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:50   #44
BHPian

Rajmachi will be very much great venue for off-roading near Mumbai, looks much more promising than Shahapur, where Mahindra Great Escape will be held this year on 12th July 2009.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 19:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

We are planning for a trip tomorrow so we can get sunday to rest, if anyone wants to join please post your confirmation.

sorry guys I am driving down to bombay in the jeep this weekend , so it's a no go this time but next time count me in.

P.s why dont the team bhp jeep guys from pune meet up sometime?
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote