Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 24th July 2009, 18:30   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
rhandle,
Its nice to see Gurkha fan thinking of becoming jeep/Gypsy addict! If Gurkha owner feels the need for another vehicle just for pure offroading then there's a serious point folks!

First Samurai from GV to Cj 340 and now rhandle from Gurkha to Jeep/Gypsy. This describes the word -'Fit for Purpose' for these legendary vehicles

rhandle- i somehow feel you will settle in for a jeep! Lets see. I also had the same dilema..later bought jeep. People with no dilema buy Gypsy.

He He He, yeah true. It's not that I feel Gurkha is incompetent. The point is do not feel like bashing my vehicle which is everyday drive for me as well. For most of the people Jeep is their second vehicle. But I would score when it would come to travelling say 500-1000kms to do off-roading, do not know how many people would be ready to take their family -wife plus a 10 yr and a 5 yrs old baby with them in the Esteemed JEEP.

How a jeep goes everywhere a Toyota can...
Name:  toyotajeep2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  158.4 KB

Both the vehicles have their own spaces and areas to flaunt upon. If somebody would tell me JEEP is the ultimate and go everywhere vehicle I wont agree to that similarly I wont agree the same with Gurkha as well or for that matter any other vehicle. It's Just WHAT SUITS.

BTW we would be moving so lets drop it.
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 19:12   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys MB View Post
Hi Rahul,

I would suggest a CJ3B which is a better off roader then a Gypsy and a 550 as you already have your other 4x4 for long hauls. You can use the CJ3B petrol only for Off roading and short trips in town. Mandeep Harjeev , Prabh, Sanjiv, Shahid will give you better in sight on 3B which is not only cheaper to build, very very quite 4x4 and cheaper to maintain.

This is just a suggestion, choice is totally yours.

Cheers

Sarvinder
Thanks sir, I am yet to establish a difference between CJ3b and other Mahindra products. But yes I like the looks of your vehicle and other jeeps which are smaller in length. I will be speaking to Laxman and Amit as well. Yes "CHEAP" would be the word for me, since I would not be able to spend much money on the vehicle and which would be cheap to maintain.

What I am AfraiD of is the time spent in workshop by these jeeps. For eg: have been hearing about Kandisa's jeep but yet to see it. Yes I would also like that vehicle to perform. I do not want to hurry this project but would like to work with patience and hopefully I will also have an old time beauty with me sooner than later.
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 21:19   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... I would suggest a CJ3B which is a better off roader then a Gypsy and a 550 as you already have your other 4x4 for long hauls. ...
+1 to Sarvinder. Go for a petrol CJ3B -- A better offroader then a stock Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
...People with no dilema buy Gypsy.
100% true.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 23:30   #94
Senior - BHPian

My answers in bold-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
He He He, yeah true. It's not that I feel Gurkha is incompetent.

I 100% agree with you. Infact a jeep cannot adopt dual role which Gurkha can!

For most of the people Jeep is their second vehicle

+ 1. Its a second vehicle for me too

how many people would be ready to take their family -wife plus a 10 yr and a 5 yrs old baby with them in the Esteemed JEEP.

+1 I didnt dare taking my 1 year old baby and wife to 100 km trip. Leave alone 500kms trip

How a jeep goes everywhere a Toyota can...

I dont agree with this

It's Just WHAT SUITS.
For pure offroading Jeep or Gypsy is what suits any one for the price you spend on it

India still is in need for inexpensive, comfortable and super offroadability vehicle. The vehicle which can be of dual purpose use! Iam waiting for it and we all are waiting for it!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 20:22   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rahul,

I would suggest a CJ3B which is a better off roader then a Gypsy and a 550 as you already have your other 4x4 for long hauls. You can use the CJ3B petrol only for Off roading and short trips in town. Mandeep Harjeev , Prabh, Sanjiv, Shahid will give you better in sight on 3B which is not only cheaper to build, very very quite 4x4 and cheaper to maintain.

This is just a suggestion, choice is totally yours.

Cheers

Sarvinder
Sir,

I second your point. Seeing the petrol engines perform. I tempts me also to buy one.

Regds

Amit
Tusker4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 10:00   #96
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the petrol 3b is gaining popularity. Though i have been seeing mandeep advising everyone about the petrol 3b for quite a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
....What I am AfraiD of is the time spent in workshop by these jeeps. For eg: have been hearing about Kandisa's jeep but yet to see it....
Will fix up some time next weekend so that you can have a look at my jeep 'physically' My jeep would have been finished around 2 months before had their not been couple of unexpected incidents in between! It still could have been done early if i would have opted mayapuri for getting the bodywork and painting done. Though now i feel really fortunate that i didn't get it done there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle
....I do not want to hurry this project but would like to work with patience and hopefully I will also have an old time beauty with me sooner than later...
Get in to the jeep project and you will automatically come to know how time passes
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 14:13   #97
BHPian

having driven both a petrol cj3b and a diesel 550 xdp (same as harjeevs) at OTR's i personally think that a cj3b is a more fun vehicle to own but the 550 is much more capable at otr's and in general a better otr vehicle due to several reasons.mainly it just FEELS more powerful and balanced on all terrains.but thats just my personal opinion.......and it doesnt count fr much as ive only been driving for a year....

Last edited by 0333 : 27th July 2009 at 14:15.
0333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 16:24   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0333 View Post
having driven both a petrol cj3b and a diesel 550 xdp (same as harjeevs) at OTR's i personally think that a cj3b is a more fun vehicle to own but the 550 is much more capable at otr's and in general a better otr vehicle due to several reasons.mainly it just FEELS more powerful and balanced on all terrains.but thats just my personal opinion.......and it doesnt count fr much as ive only been driving for a year....
Come on now Sarab !! Dont be so modest.
You are turning out to be one fine off-roader.

For all T-bhpain's Sarab is the youngest memeber of NIOC.

I hope you have a license dude !!

On the topic now,..the 550 has tones of low end and mid-range grunt,..this along with Titanic underpinings makes it the most formidable of the lot.

The Cj3b had weight to its advantage, and a very tractable petrol engine to boot. Offer a 550 to RBS or SSS and they would'nt take it if it was given to them free.
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 16:48   #99
BHPian

Default Pics

Hi Guys,

Here are some pics I had taken, sorry for the delay guys.

Cheers !!!!!!!!

Randeep
Attached Thumbnails
NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09000.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09001.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09002.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09003.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09004.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09005.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09006.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09007.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09008.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09009.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09010.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09011.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09012.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09013.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09014.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09015.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09016.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09017.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09018.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09019.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09020.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09021.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09022.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09023.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09024.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09025.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09026.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09030.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09031.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09032.jpg  

randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 17:03   #100
BHPian

Some more pics.

Enjoy !!!!!!!

Randeep
Attached Thumbnails
NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09033.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09034.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09035.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09036.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09037.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09038.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09039.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09040.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09041.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09042.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09043.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09044.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09045.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09046.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09047.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09048.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09049.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09050.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09051.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09052.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09053.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09054.jpg  

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-dsc09055.jpg  

randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 12:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pictures Randeep!!! Thanks for sharing and you have capture some really amazing shots!!!

Now coming to Rahul's discussion I also agree that buying an 2nd pure off-roader will definitely be a good decision.
From my experience of the past 6-7 months of overhauling and maintaining and 2-3 months of driving my vehicles around I have the following points to share
  • Now the thing is that petrol are real easy to overhaul, maintain and drive around. The downside being they are a little high in running costs and are becoming rarer by the day so finding one in a good decent condition will not be as easy as hunting for a CJ3B!
  • Diesels are very easily available but overhauling them is entirely a different ballgame!!! They are expensive to overhaul when compared to petrol engines and it takes like forever. This is when one decides to go all the way i.e. a complete overhaul. Not the 'Replace what is not working and leave the rest for later'!
  • Well maintained CJ3B what I feel will either retain their value or slowly go up contrary to MM550's which are bound to depreciate!!! Whatever amount you spend on your CJ3B if you ultimate decide to sell it anytime later you are more likely to recover if not all, majority of your costs than you would be in a diesel!!!
  • I will not like to get in a debate/ discussion that which is a better off-road vehicle as I couldn't really answer the question myself so I went ahead and bought both of them and I am not going to part with either of them!!!
Also you will find hardcore fans of both the segment!!! But it is you who has to decide what suits you best as both vehicles are very capable and each has its own pro's and con's But I really like what Mandeep once told me about CJ3B's and it really summarises the character of the CJ3B in a few words

Its classic yet modern!!!

(please remember I may not entirely be correct as I am just an infant when it comes to off-roading and off-road vehicles as I have started this just 6 month back
These are my views and views of others may/ will definitely differ)
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote