Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 9th July 2009, 00:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default NIOC goes to Corbett Park

They call me Jim Corbett, its my callsign on the Radio too, but it will be for the first time ever that I a able to go to this place about which I have read and heard so much.

NIOC is running a family trip to the Corbett Park on July 25, organized by Pushkin Ahuja.

Watch out this thread for more details.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 19:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Shahid
What vehicle will you be driving to corbett!!!
Your 3B or the Bolero???
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 20:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Shahid,
Bet you all will have a great time, by the way I don't think they will allow diesel vehicles inside the park.
All the very best and looking forward to the pics.
I have come back from Bandipur, Madumalai and Nagarhole this sunday, for the story and pics. checkout this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...garhole-2.html (Hyd-Bandipur-Madumalai-Nagarhole)
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 20:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK no visitor vehicles are allowed in side the park from June 15 to November 15. I may be outdated in my info though.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 01:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sudev,

You are right national park is close at this time. But its a trip of offroaders to offroad, which we can not do in the park anyhow, the plan is to stay in a resort close to the river and offroad in the surrounding areas of park plus to cross river and its subsidiaries wherever possible.

So Shahid you aren’t going to go inside the actual Jim Corbett national park. Only if you can get special permissions for you and all of us.. pick your phone pal.

Yogesh

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 10th July 2009 at 01:41.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 02:15   #6
BHPian

I doubt that you will be allowed to enter the park. Rains have started and park must be closed. Anyways let me know the exact program and i'll be driving from allahabad on my gypsy to corbett to join you guyz. If any team bhp member from allahabad, varanasi, kanpur or lucknow wants to join me then they can PM me.
gungeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 06:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shahid,
Bet you all will have a great time, by the way I don't think they will allow diesel vehicles inside the park.
I have come back from Bandipur, Madumalai and Nagarhole this sunday, for the story and pics. checkout this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...garhole-2.html (Hyd-Bandipur-Madumalai-Nagarhole)
Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
AFAIK no visitor vehicles are allowed in side the park from June 15 to November 15. I may be outdated in my info though.
Sorry for going

Vehicle are allowed inside corbett!!! I went there in Feb09, took my Tata Safari and stayed inside the park for 3 nights. You need special permission though. Special permission in the sense that only those vehicles of those owners are allowed who have a permit to stay inside the park and permits can be taken from the Forest Office Ramnagar. Not very difficult but first come first serve.

You are right the main forest area Dhikala zone and Bijrani zone is closed from 15th june. Bijrani zone opens around sometime in Oct each year, but the official opening date is 15th November. The Dhikala zone (the best) opens 15th November. There is another zone Jhirna, this if I am not mistaken and to the best of my knowledge is open throught the year!!!
The Sitavani buffer zone is open throught the year!!!

And yogesh is right!!!
I dont think that there is any plan to go inside the reserve forest, atleast by NIOC.
Hoever if any of the members can manage to get the permits, its up to them!!! Right???
Old 10th July 2009, 10:01   #8
BHPian

Dhikala is closed because the Ramganga river floods during the rains cutting off access. Tourists have to be out by 15-june as in most Tiger parks: but those with forest dept research/census permits are allowed to stay on until the river is deemed crossable. I dont think it has rained in those parts yet has it?

Sitabani buffer zone is AWESOME for camping and should be awesome in this weather.

Jhirna is open through the year.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 10:05   #9
NIP
Senior - BHPian

forgive me for my ignorance, but will this not disturb the wildlife to a great extent? or are these areas away from the jungle??
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 15:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its a huge group from NIOC now, over 14 vehcles and 25 people have confirmed, should be a good trip.

I will be travelling to Corbett park with the group either in my Bolero or Mahindra Xylo, for the offroad section I will hitch a ride with either you, Shashank or other 4x4 vehicles in the group.

Not really up to it to drive a Cj3B jeep all the way to Corbett park from Gurgaon, its over 300 km, but if anyone to willing to drive it along, he is welcome.

Later on the 26th we plan to make a one day trip to Naini Tal as well. Last I went there was as a student in 1993 as a part of the tour of the AMU MBA Deptt., all expenses paid by the Govt. of India, during those days we used to get Rs. 200 a day for our food and it was enough, I even saved some money to buy candles and gifts, it was my last time ever to travel as a student and we all had enjoyed that trip so much in cold cold Nainital in Feb 1993.

Nobody wanted to come back, the Professors accompanying us agreed to stay another day, but HCL HP was coming for campus recruitment the next day, so the wise decision was NAUKRI first and we travelled back in the night in the University bus.

I had always wanted to come back to naini Tal and now here's the chance !

Last edited by desertfox : 17th July 2009 at 15:16.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 16:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Shahid

I traveled from Ramnagar to Nainital in February and the road is amazing and for someone who loves to drive, like myself, it was Sona pe Sugaha!!! With steep inclines at some places, wonderful scenery and little or no traffic it was a drivers paradise!!!

See ya on the 19th!!!
Old 17th July 2009, 17:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shahid,
Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Well our Gurkha was allowed inside the park on 12th July. We went through the Jhirna gate. The park was flooded and was fun. Not enough sightings but the park looked at its best. Even one Gypsy got stuck in the park which we were able to pull out. I had a tow rope thanks to NIOC. I need to buy now the tow straps. Still learning ( just had 4-5 outings) after each outing is over I am confidant man but before each one starts I am as nervous as a mouse!
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 20:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rahul
I suppose that you would have needed a special permit to enter the park as they allow only a specific number of vehicle's in the morning and evening's!!!

And are you coming for the 19th OTR???
Old 18th July 2009, 09:19   #14
BHPian

NO speacial permit was required. Just stood in the line, gave our vehicle number and make, he asked is it it 4x4 we said yes and that was it. Anyways since it is off-season hardly there were any vehicles at that time.

I am coming on 19th OTR.
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:23   #15
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Sitavani and Jhirna gates are open throughout the year. Its going to be the third consecutive time for me during the monsoons. Its real fun crossing the crossways during monsoons. On our way to Ramganga resort there would be many crossways that we would need to pass, one has to watch out as here the water brings rocks along and so vehicles can get pushed off the road. Last yr at one point we had to wait for about 3 hours for the water level to get low below we could actually cross. There is another river crossing north of Ramnagar which is real good for offroading as its wide and has combination of rocks and silt. We did a recce last yr and went 10-12 kms up the river. River crossways are fun but dangerous too.

Pushkin informed me that people at the resort have also checked out a 25-30 km offroading trail for us. I bet we gona have an awesome time there.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote