Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 10th August 2009, 18:10   #31
BHPian

hey thats not fair guys, we would have surely joined you, instead of wasting our time with MGe in Coorg
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Wonderful OTR i must say. How did the heavier vehicles perform especialy Bolero? What were other SUV makes on the event?

P.S We dont have such terrain and weather
The Bolero cleared one major hurdle easily, before we got the news that it had crashed up on tarmac due to driver's stupidity.There was an Isuzu trooper which was doing well & a Nissan Patrol too.
One of the best OTRs for me, for the simple reason that it had everything from crossing streams to gushing river to rock climbing to slushy steep gradients.The only problem was with the organizing,if done well,we could've done two more river crossings,one of them supposed to be the mother of all.
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:37   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hey thats not fair guys, we would have surely joined you, instead of wasting our time with MGe in Coorg
This event was announced in Jeep Thrills on July 31st and on Team-BHP on August 5th.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
AFIAK, Nissan PATROL was supposed to attend MGE and i think it changed its mind and attended Somwarpet event. It would have paid off for all your effort of driving 1000km up&down. We were just 30km apart. Even travelling 1000km one side is worth attending this event.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:48   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the story here? There seems to be no reason why he should have gone to the side!
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
AFIAK, Nissan PATROL was supposed to attend MGE and i think it changed its mind and attended Somwarpet event. It would have paid off for all your effort of driving 1000km up&down. We were just 30km apart. Even travelling 1000km one side is worth attending this event.
Nissan patrol for a MGE, guess they did not have many participants then.

Curious,do they usually allow other manufacturer cars for the MGE? I don't think they do.

Last edited by beejay : 10th August 2009 at 18:51.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:53   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AFIAK, Nissan PATROL was supposed to attend MGE and i think it changed its mind and attended Somwarpet event.
Nissan in a MGE event? That's not possible.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 18:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nissan in a MGE event? That's not possible.
Oh now i understood the reason why it was present in the event. usually it wont come alone for any event. it comes along with a scorpio, endevour. All these vehicle belongs to one family. Sha was telling me that he saw Scorpio which belongs to PATROL owner participating in MGE. hence PATROL would have diverted from MGE to Somwarpet.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
The Bolero cleared one major hurdle easily, before we got the news that it had crashed up on tarmac due to driver's stupidity.

Haha,
Thats what true off road vehicle mean, crack off road trail and crash on road

I see TATA TL coupled with few Mahindra twin cabs (utili and Camper). How was the Ground clearance of TATA TL? How did it do on water crossing and slush pits? How did Gypsys do in those water crossings? Water is petrol engines worst nightmare! Which was the best off road vehicle other than the regular jeeps and Gypsy's?

Pictures look very inviting and i plan to do this next year

p.s Organising is the key for such events with lot of vehicles. Hopefully it would be better next time
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 19:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I see TATA TL coupled with few Mahindra twin cabs (utili and Camper).

p.s Organising is the key for such events with lot of vehicles. Hopefully it would be better next time
At around 8pm, the guy who came at last told us they could not get the utili back from the point after crossing the river. it was parked safely in a place where nobody can reach .
Old 10th August 2009, 19:34   #41
BHPian

This event was shown on TV yesterday. Some kannada channel. It was shown for around 5 mins. My roomy wanted to see more. I told him not to worry, because I knew it will surely be on TBHP and here it is
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 20:04   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What's the story here? There seems to be no reason why he should have gone to the side!
The marshal had left the jeep to assist other jeepers, then his tipsy friend decides to drive the jeep...
Moral of the story don't leave the keys in your Jeep when in a OTR
Sathyagith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 21:21   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathyagith View Post
The marshal had left the jeep to assist other jeepers, then his tipsy friend decides to drive the jeep...Moral of the story don't leave the keys in your Jeep when in a OTR
Or leave tipsy friend on board.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 21:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even travelling 1000km one side is worth attending this event.
Quote:
Pictures look very inviting and i plan to do this next year
Great OTR plus advantage of great weather and terrain. I am also coming next year for sure, but not in my 4x4. Can anyone book my place in his jeep?
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 18:17   #45
Sha
BHPian

Before I start writing hats off to PIONEER'S CLUB for conducting AWESOME OTR with nature at his best and thanks to Naveen for organizing the event.
The day started with good breakfast at club and small briefing about how to preserve nature(No Plastic), Tulip map was given with clear explanation and MGE guys had to learn from them how to prepare route and map. This event was specially for 4WD vehicles not like MGE were 2WD are also allowed. The event had Slush, Steep Climbing(45-50 Degree) with Slush, Steep Rock Climbing, Stream, Metal Roads, Forest Trail, Water Fall and River Crossing if I have missed anything please add up.
Photos will speak about the trail...

Note: Photos will never portray how difficult was the terrain.

Vehicles line up before start.

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s1.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s2.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s3.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s4.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s5.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s6.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s7.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s8.jpg

Once we entered the Estate slush trail what a feeling my Gypsy started to move like a snake even Vijay's jeep was skidding in front me, if you guys analyze the last three photos how jeep had no traction in curve it's all depends on Driver ability how to manure. Before this OTR event my rating to Geolander tyre was 8/10 but after this event my rating changed to 9.5/10 it absolutely performed very well.

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s9.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s10.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s11.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s12.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s13.jpg

4th Escape to the Nature Offroading at SOMWARPET (Coorg)  ON 8th Aug2009.-s14.jpg

Last edited by Sha : 11th August 2009 at 18:37.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote