Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 13th September 2009, 14:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks, but this travelogue already ended.
ya i realize that but I'm really looking forward for more such travelogues in the future. you're just super good at blogging.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 14:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,

That was one great trip thru your lens!

Was about to mention about your tires doing you in on the climb, but noticed your comment on Spidy.

So, what do you think might help you to reach the top without external help? Or is it that, external help is mandatory here for your jeep?

EDIT: Just now noticed you response on the "momentum part. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
...I did the climb and pinched myself for not having picked up a 4x4.
RJ,

This is the one and only reason, why I brought a 4x4. Never wanted to say "If only ...".

Last edited by HappyWheels : 13th September 2009 at 14:17.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 14:52   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
One query,
What tyres is Vikram Gowda on? His pick up seems immensely capable with that snorkel and those tyres.
FORCEUM M/T 08 235/75 R15, the indonesian make. Don't know about cost, somebody said 4K per tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
ya i realize that but I'm really looking forward for more such travelogues in the future. you're just super good at blogging.
Thanks, but I don't call this blogging. I would find blogging very boring, without knowing who will read it or who is commenting. I enjoy writing to a group who are more focused and appreciate the finer details and technicalities of offroading. Also, the feedback and appreciation by members you know and trust, are more valuable than comments by anonymous readers at the blog sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Was about to mention about your tires doing you in on the climb, but noticed your comment on Spidy.

So, what do you think might help you to reach the top without external help? Or is it that, external help is mandatory here for your jeep?

EDIT: Just now noticed you response on the "momentum part. Interesting.
I think we have beaten that topic to death by now. The participants discussed that climb during and after the event for hours. I don't think any new revelation can be made about it now unless by participants.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 17:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't call this blogging. I would find blogging very boring, without knowing who will read it or who is commenting. I enjoy writing to a group who are more focused and appreciate the finer details and technicalities of offroading. Also, the feedback and appreciation by members you know and trust, are more valuable than comments by anonymous readers at the blog sites.
gotya. well, then i'll look fwd for more of your expert narration of all your OTR's.
they're just awesome.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 18:18   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
gotya. well, then i'll look fwd for more of your expert narration of all your OTR's.
they're just awesome.
Thanks, but I would not go as far as calling it expert narration. We are all merely learning here, I just write what I understand in a simple language. I was writing about OTRs even when I was total noob about offroading. See this, my first day driving a Jeep: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...am-quarry.html
Old 13th September 2009, 19:21   #66
BHPian

Samurai, Great writeup! I Love the way you mix the writeup with beautiful pictures. I have been following your' OTR discussions for quite a while now and have learnt a lot from them.
Would love to meetup with you some day and go offroading.
Keep the writeups and pics pouring in!
Cheers!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 10:02   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Would love to meetup with you some day and go offroading.
Keep the writeups and pics pouring in!
Cheers!
Thanks James, if you are passing by from this way, do PM me. We need to find some trails in this area, but everything being private land, it is hard. There is lots of wild area around Manipal, but all owned by Manipal group. I don't want to be chased around by their guards.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:15   #68
Team-BHP Support

Oh man! i was just trying to pep up samu by diverting his attention to tires from his CJ

Anyways i understand what you guys meant, this is one of those places where bounce like a ping pong works, danke.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:28   #69
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this hill climb needed pure momentum
Not just this hill Sharath. ALL offroading is about momentum. And to maintain the desired momentum you have torque multiplication which you manage through your transfer case and gearbox ratios. Its your degree of momentum required that varies obstacle to obstacle. For this hill you needed a higher momentum. The other key parameter in maintaining momentum is traction where your tyres (groove, deflation) help

Even in a rock crawling situation its about building just enough momentum to scale the object but not too much to cause damage. We use torque multipliers and traction to endow power into the movement. Or the strength in the movement. So momentum is not just motion its the power or energy stored in motion

Last edited by DKG : 14th September 2009 at 11:45.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Default It is a steal

Quote:
FORCEUM M/T 08 235/75 R15, the indonesian make. Don't know about cost, somebody said 4K per tyre.
4k is a steal!! But can you confirm the size? Has he changed the rim size of his pick up? I think all pik-ups came with 16 inch rim. (except maxx-maxi pik up truck)

Contact details of the source from where he sourced it will be useful.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:29   #71
Team-BHP Support

DKG, please don't take the words literally. When we say pure momentum, we mean primarily momentum, and not mathematically absolute momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
4k is a steal!! But can you confirm the size? Has he changed the rim size of his pick up? I think all pik-ups came with 16 inch rim. (except maxx-maxi pik up truck)
I guess Chandan would be in better position to answer that one.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th September 2009 at 12:32.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:35   #72
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG, please don't take the words literally. When we say pure momentum, we mean primarily momentum, and not mathematically absolute momentum.
I understand . Once again thanks for sharing pictures of such beautiful countryside. I know where I am headed next monsoon for sure !!
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:43   #73
BHPian

Since we were traversing/following the same path as back up the hill, i wasnt really worried about the rocks, and anyway the terrain was very wet and soft. also since i was 3rd/4th vehicle trying, i would have know if there was anything really to watch out for.

Momentum gathered downhill from hill 2 was enough get me to the slight landing which was available halfway up hill 1 and not all the way top, also there was somebody ahead of me trying the steep incline so i had stop in any case.

yes, i did feel i would have made it in the third try, if my engine did not die coz of the wire snap.

The central patch was so bad after the first 2 vehicles and 2 of my tries, so i did try a slightly alternate path towards the right so that atleast the RH wheels get some grip to build up enough momentum before hitting the final apex.

Did anyone else try this? i missed the action after i winched up coz i need to tend to my vehicle.

IMO , on that steep wet, slushy slippery incline, tyre type/tread did not really matter as everybody was facing the same problem.

nice , this thread is getting very intresting.
Attached Thumbnails
Monsoon Offroading/Trail-driving in Sakleshpur and Bisle Ghat-p9063643.jpg  

Last edited by siddartha : 14th September 2009 at 13:45.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:03   #74
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
The central patch was so bad after the first 2 vehicles and 2 of my tries, so i did try a slightly alternate path towards the right so that atleast the RH wheels get some grip to build up enough momentum before hitting the final apex.

Did anyone else try this? i missed the action after i winched up coz i need to tend to my vehicle.
That path was tried by both CJ340 and MM550. finally MM550 made it through that path with momemtum.

One thing I am still wondering why CJ340 with AT tyres couldn't take the momentum when a Gypsy with highway tyre could able to take the momentum and gypsy being very bouncy than a JEEP.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 15:03   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
One thing I am still wondering why CJ340 with AT tyres couldn't take the momentum when a Gypsy with highway tyre could able to take the momentum and gypsy being very bouncy than a JEEP.
Simple, a diesel Jeep with 5.38:1 axle ratio needs lot more run-up to get to the same speed compared to a petrol Gypsy on 3.72:1 axle ratio. It has nothing to do with tyres since we were building speed on level ground. I guess we can consider both being equally bouncy. I remember driving Jammy's CJ3B with 3.88:1 effective axle ratio, it would take off like a dragster.

Sreeraj apparently did a clutch dump launch at 3rd low, which I didn't dare try.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th September 2009 at 15:06.