Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 6th October 2009, 22:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

I think I was the fifth to get in and out of that ditch and I cleared it quite easily, but the path was deteriorating with every passing vehicle and the rain converted the stream which could be initially crossed by foot to a raging body of water. Luckily for me, I did not get stuck anywhere and again was lucky enough to have completed the entire expedition on my own power. I was mighty impressed with the Michelins, but then again this was my first outing.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 02:02   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default The end!

So once Hrishi came out, it took a while to get the brown Gypsy out too. Once again the Xenon and the Jeep at towing service. Once all the vehicles cleared this final hurdle, all of us are eager to get some food.

The last pic I managed in fading daylight of the black and white monsters.
Name:  IMG_6988.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  489.5 KB

Time now is around 730ish. We finally start thanking our stars for the fact that no one got stranded and finally we will be going back home.

But this is just the beginning of another ordeal. From the last time to this, the trail has changed quite a bit. What was supposed to be an easy get out onto the highway in 200 mtrs turned out to be nothing like how we'd imagined it.
Name:  IMG_6991.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  494.0 KB

The Jeeps and Gypsy's could have easily climbed this mini-fortress wall but it was impossible for the Safari's, the Scorpio and the Xenon to clear this.

Eventually Rehaan being the enthu guy got himself stuck in the muck and pretty badly.
Name:  IMG_6995.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  361.5 KB
Trying to wiggle out of this mess, he ends up burning his clutch completely and has no drive left at all.

In the meantime Siddhu and the rest go in search of an alternative route to get the trucks out without causing too much damage and they manage to find it. But now how to get the Scorpio going?

It won't move an inch, so we got Rehaan's family into the Xenon and decided to atleast hit the main road and then call for a tractor to tow the Scorpio out.

Vinay gets the Xenon out of the 3ft slush after trying and trying. We are glad that all cars (save the Scorpio) are back on roads. Then we get a tractor and even that gets stuck trying to pull out the Scorpio. Agonizing minutes pass by, it turns into hours. Time now is 10:30pm. We are told that Rehaan's cousin is coming in a Nissan Patrol so memo and myself head off to pick them up and bring them to this point.
Name:  IMG_7006.JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  422.7 KB

After another hour of discussion and failed attempts to rescue the Scorpio we decide it would be best for Rehaan to pick it up at first break of sunlight. Rehaan gives in, though very unhappy. He still wants to get a JCB and give it a shot.

Throughout this time, not one single soul has left the premises. I just loved this bit of the OTR. The unity everyone showed till the last minute. Normally, I have been to my share of drives, meets etc. TBHPians have a tendency to be impatient at most times. People don't want to wait for the rest etc etc. This was a refreshing, welcoming change I got to see.

I can imagine how tense everyone's families would have been, how badly people would want to call back home and inform them they were safe, but because we didn't have network it made matters worse. Finally I think we left at little past midnight. I was dropped home by around 2am.

Managed to click a few pics of the Xenon before I crashed for the day.
Name:  IMG_6998.JPG
Views: 1146
Size:  490.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7001.JPG
Views: 1137
Size:  401.9 KB

It was a wonderful experience for me. Though I might have wanted to have roughed it out a bit more.
mclaren1885 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 02:09   #93
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
oh may be thats why rahul (mclaren1885) was so scared and dint even get out of the vehicle and he made up some excuse that he had hurt his leg.
Bugger, who told you I am afraid of snakes and other wildlife? Infact, I love them. I was telling Mohnish that if the bed (of the Xenon) was empty and we had a few mattresses I'd have gladly spent the night sleeping out in the open itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Excellent Narration and pictures as usual from Rahul. Just enjoyed every bit of it.
Glad you liked it!
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 09:04   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Throughout this time, not one single soul has left the premises. I just loved this bit of the OTR. The unity everyone showed till the last minute. Normally, I have been to my share of drives, meets etc. TBHPians have a tendency to be impatient at most times. People don't want to wait for the rest etc etc. This was a refreshing, welcoming change I got to see.
Yes. This has been the way atleast in the OTR which I have been seeing for almost 2 years now.

may be bcs, Jeeps, now make it OTR vehicles, are not to be driven alone
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 09:32   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yes. This has been the way atleast in the OTR which I have been seeing for almost 2 years now.

may be bcs, Jeeps, now make it OTR vehicles, are not to be driven alone
@mjothi @mclaren1885
When I came back with Tanzim that night, I got a call from Swatikviji (who incidentally was out of town) wanting to know why the OTR participants were not reachable on their mobiles.
When I told him that even I was trying the numbers (the ones I had) and couldnt get through myself, he then spoke to Tanzim and tried to get a rescue team together. We figured that some vehicle was stuck and needed to be winched out.

I would like to think that this community is more like a family with all members ( participants and non-participants in the OTR ) taking an active interest

3 Cheers to the 4X4 community here!!!

GB
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

Overall a nice report and good pictures to support. The last 2 pictures of the Xenon summarize the day very well. Really loved the 4x4 crowd, nice friendly people who bond very well with no hang ups. Cheers to you guys, keep on.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:28   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
@mjothi @mclaren1885
When I came back with Tanzim that night, I got a call from Swatikviji (who incidentally was out of town) wanting to know why the OTR participants were not reachable on their mobiles.
When I told him that even I was trying the numbers (the ones I had) and couldnt get through myself, he then spoke to Tanzim and tried to get a rescue team together. We figured that some vehicle was stuck and needed to be winched out.
We(SwastikViji, Sha & Myself) tried calling up you guys.
at around noon: phones were ringing but nobody was picking up the calls. OK understood all are busy tackling obstacles.
in the evening: phones were not reachable. understood these guys have reached the destination.
at around 7pm: not reachable
at around 8pm: not reachable
at around 9pm: still not reachable
Hmm something gone wrong. Viji was worried and busy calling up Ajay, Tanzeem and again you guys. Myself and Sha were telling him "dont worry they will be enjoying the situation" as usually the off roaders do.

@mclaren1885: nice report. now we know whom to carry along if mjothi uncle refuses to come.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:38   #98
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Swastikviji could not sleep at night that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
@mclaren1885: nice report. now we know whom to carry along if mjothi uncle refuses to come.
One more good reporter for future OTR's.

@mclaren1885- excellent writeup.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:43   #99
BHPian

Awesome report! Special thanks Mclaren1885 for taking so many good photographs at almost all points of the OTR even though you were in pain. I totally enjoyed the photos and videos. Hats off to you and also hgnishanth.

Kudos to all the participants!

Last edited by Dolphin : 7th October 2009 at 10:53.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:47   #100
Senior - BHPian

McLaren,

A wonderful report there, especially with the pain you might have had due to your leg! (I hope you feel better now).

The narration and photo's really brought out the fun and excitement that you guys had.

And wonderful to know about the team spirit displayed there by all.

to all of you!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

mclaren,

Great account of OTR though you yourselves was in great pain. Pictures speak most.

I remember making announcement at the begining and also at the restuarant we stopped for breakfast to pack food for afternoon as we are expected back only by evening. Despite this most came empty handed. Some even didn't have water bottles too.

But for above lapse on all, the event was eventful and as usual comraderie played major role. We offroaders have never left any body in lurch in past and will not in future too.

Some photos from my mobile camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-image_202.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-image_203.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-image_204.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-image_205.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-image_206.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-image_207.jpg  

dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

Default Thanks

Great Narration, great photographs

more over hats of to all you courageous people who put your vehicles (some of them with brand new vehicle e.g. Lukeskywalker) through this types of experience.

thanks for sharing

when was in Manipal two weeks ago, i also had a mini off roading experience.
thanks to Samurai san. the experience i would never forget.
hope some day, i will buy my own 4x4 and join you guys.

till then,

Read it in Kannada" Doorada betta Kannige Nunnage"
or Read it in Marathi "Doorun Dongar Sajire"
or Read it in plain English "Everything looks great from a distance"

hope to have insider view some day.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th October 2009 at 11:07.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 10:54   #103
Senior - BHPian

Gulp.. I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye reading the report.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 11:04   #104
BHPian

Yes spitfire same here too. I didnt know this was happening. My Jeep was ready after the mishap in the last TG halli OTR. The top assembly of my gear box had gone Kaput. Have changed it and she is raring to go. Wanted to test her in some gruelling terrains and it would not have got better than this. Guys Please count me in when another OTR is happening.

Please contact me on 9986661582.
Baburajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 11:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Gulp.. I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye reading the report.
lump I can understand , but tears for whom and for what ? Have we seen you on OTR? you will experience the heart in your mouth at some of the stunts which are not captured.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote