Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 3rd December 2009, 11:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

@ PW - were all the 6 Jeeps used for the OTR on Sunday?

What was UBS' take on the Car guys taking on the Jeeps? What did he say about Noskor, 1100D, Ayan! and You (and your Wifey)?
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 20:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
or was it because driving in CCU city was an OTR activity till 10-15 years ago?
It still is, now that the metro is being expanded into Salt Lake and Rajarhat. My Verna needs MT tyres very soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Great report and pictures. There are 2 gurkha in Kolkatta now, wish they had also joined, though I know one would not go where Jeeps are
I dunno dude. I'm just like a persistent leech who hangs on to knowledgeable people for the sake of learning, and that applies to everyone. Its tough to shake off a polite, smiling salesman . So hold on and watch the fun, you never know what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Excellent write up, report and pics. I wish i was there to participate.
Love the pictures and the captions. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Thank you Gogi Bhai. Still looking forward to a meeting. Enjoy the remaining pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ PW - were all the 6 Jeeps used for the OTR on Sunday?

What was UBS' take on the Car guys taking on the Jeeps? What did he say about Noskor, 1100D, Ayan! and You (and your Wifey)?
Yes, all the 6 jeeps were used. As for UBS' comments, wait for the man himself to say it on this thread.

The last set of pics

Finally had time to collate the pics on the other camera. Since I've already spoken enough bakwas here, this time I'll shut up and let pics do the talking. Enzoy!

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-01.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-02.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-03.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-04.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-05.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-07.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-08.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-09.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-10.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-11.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-12.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-13.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-14.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-15.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-16.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-17.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-18.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 21:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default Picture abhi baki hai, mere dost!

Enzoy some more!

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-19.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-20.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-21.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-22.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-23.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-24.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-25.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-26.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-27.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-28.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-29.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-30.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-31.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-32.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-compressed-33.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 21:28   #34
Team-BHP Support

Great OTR & a nice report too. You all are privileged folks to have the legendary UBSji with you all to share his knowledge with you all and give tips.

Nice jeeps. I noticed that this jeep has a strange looking snorkel. what's this:

khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 04:13   #35
BHPian

Hello Aniket,
that is a great write up about a very ordinary off road session, in the form of a workshop. We wanted to test the newly built 540 and the 550 this time.
Many things were tried and a few mistakes also took place, but we should avoid them in future like destroying the vegetation and river banks to name a few. The caution while recovery was ignored, and the short supply of study material due to an unexpected large gathering of children.
I am very happy with all those who took part in the meet, and appreciate the quick lessons taken on a moderate off road driving session. Not many realised how slippery were those dead leaves on the high embankment, but lucky we did well.

Now to name and assess a few car-wale BHPians who took part on last Sundays Jeep Thrills' workshop.

I would begin with :

1. Anirban Ghosh(1100D),,, he drove like a veteran from the word go. Was shy to abuse the jeeps, but had picked up keen sense of 4 wheel power on both available ranges. The jeep he drove had been out of service for about a year, and within a day to be serving perfectly was well mastered by him.He wrote that he does not have offroad capabilities, but is badly mistaken. Watch him next time in a petrol low bonnet, we will see him fly.

2. Aniket Sengupta(Predatorwheels)..... our very own author of the story. He has probably never driven any car older than him, and the confidence he showed was amazing. He started off with a RHD Mahindra, but soon got to master the real Jeeps.
His presence and helping hand at every recovery was unexpected from his size.
Next time we would like to make him a group leader with his enthusiastic wife Sanchayata, who was not far behind in seeking thrills after the initial round of fear looking at the gradients. Aniket is young and full of enthusiasm, and a jeeper in the making. The future meets are bound to be good under his plans and helpful attitude.

3. Joseph (NOS Power),,,,,, like Aniket had shown keen interest and was a bit over cautious, which is a good sign of josh vs safety. His calm and composed driving techniques was liked by us. He has promised more stunts in the next outing.

4. Ayan the baby was interesting in many ways. I thought he did not have a driving licence, but soon saw him playing around with Ghanshyam's newly built 540 and later the other older toys and that too in 4X4L. Good driver must say, but very shy. Better times are foreseen from his hands and wheels. The ease with which he handled and drove the beastly 8181, was a treat to our eyes.

I must thank everyone for appreciating the thread and look forward to a newer level of difficulty, while testing the next three jeeps(2 LHD diesel low bonnets and another 550) almost ready by the end of 2009.

Most of us are meeting in the following Sundays at the assembly line to learn how a jeep is built to work.

All the best,

Uday Bhan Singh
U.B.Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 10:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

UBS, Great effort! very nice and concised comment. Hope to see more OTRs from WB.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 01:34   #37
BHPian

Hello Dwarak boss (mamu to most of our Jeep Thrills devils),

thanks for following this thread all the way and for your comments.
Wishing to have you over at Calcutta for one of the forthcoming outings, as our JT creator (Anjan Carriappa) rightly called it the "East India company".
I am sure not many grey haired jeepers like you are spotted in such events, for which you should be happy and content.
Jammy, Andy, Venky and many others from Jeep Thrills have generally been complexed by your presence in our OTRs, but as they say.... offroad driving is like flying, and the more number of hours you put in, is like how much you have learnt. I am still learning honestly.
Am trying to connect all such stalwarts like you from the South, Romi from the North, Behram Sahab from the West to take part in a rare event designed for surviving World War II veterans who actually served the allied forces to join the 'Stilwell road drive' from Assam to Burma in Jeeps, sometime next year. Only a handfull are fit members from MVPA. (This incidently is the only chapter where the war took place in our country).
Please join us and do us proud.
Thanks and all the best,
yours............................................. UBS
U.B.Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 11:05   #38
BHPian

A very nice thread where many stalwarts are seen. Great to see all their comments in one thread.

UBS sir : great to see the machines and the drivers there. Lets hope more off roading sessions to happen and see more reports like this

Babu
Baburajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 11:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
Hello Dwarak boss (mamu to most of our Jeep Thrills devils),

thanks for following this thread all the way and for your comments.
Wishing to have you over at Calcutta for one of the forthcoming outings, as our JT creator (Anjan Carriappa) rightly called it the "East India company".
I am sure not many grey haired jeepers like you are spotted in such events, for which you should be happy and content.
Jammy, Andy, Venky and many others from Jeep Thrills have generally been complexed by your presence in our OTRs, but as they say.... offroad driving is like flying, and the more number of hours you put in, is like how much you have learnt. I am still learning honestly.
Am trying to connect all such stalwarts like you from the South, Romi from the North, Behram Sahab from the West to take part in a rare event designed for surviving World War II veterans who actually served the allied forces to join the 'Stilwell road drive' from Assam to Burma in Jeeps, sometime next year. Only a handfull are fit members from MVPA. (This incidently is the only chapter where the war took place in our country).
Please join us and do us proud.
Thanks and all the best,
yours............................................. UBS
i am humbled out UBS by your words. Look who is talking " am still learning".

When is this event? I thank you for the invite.

Good initiative on re-living the OTRs in East India Company.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Then UBS came on. I dont know how he did it, but Raja did complete the climb!
That is why all of us consider him as the "Grand daddy" of Jeeps. It is one of my long time wishes to meet the Master at the "Jeep Station" in Liluah.

Nice report, although I am seeing it very late.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 16:26   #41
BHPian

Default Re: Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report

I am also seeing this now. Was out of action over the past 2 years.

Great going Calcutta! Its USP = UBS !!!
RAINMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote