Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 11:52   #241
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Recce#5-6 (part#2)

Hi Guys,

I was surprised to see the Palar, this green and took some time to find a suitable track to exit the river. Last we came to this stretch was in 2006 and it was bare, you could see the other bank.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0058.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0059.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0062.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0065.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0068.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0075.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0077.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0078.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0045.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0047.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0049.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0050.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0051.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0052.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0053.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0054.jpg  

TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition-pict0055.jpg  

ex670c is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 12:09   #242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet E.A.R.T.H.
Posts: 140
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Arka, how about snatching with tow straps, as you know Snatching is even quicker than winching!!!

--Sree--

Sree, I think for snatching you NEED 'snatch' straps. Snatch straps have the required elasticity, 'tow' straps do not.

Snatching with tow straps maybe possible, but as they don't have the elasticity required, there will be a very hard jerk (as opposed to a gentler pull of a snatch strap) that may damage you vehicle (tow points, tow-point mountings, maybe even the chassis).

Further, it will be dangerous.
'72 Bullet is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 15:55   #243
BHPian
 
sreerajunnithan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Banagalore
Posts: 445
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sree,

Snatching with a Tow Strap is poor technique and can lead to catastrophic failures(Tow Strap/Tow Hook/Towing Points(Shackles) on the Chassis).

Regards,

Arka
Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
Sree, I think for snatching you NEED 'snatch' straps. Snatch straps have the required elasticity, 'tow' straps do not.

Snatching with tow straps maybe possible, but as they don't have the elasticity required, there will be a very hard jerk (as opposed to a gentler pull of a snatch strap) that may damage you vehicle (tow points, tow-point mountings, maybe even the chassis).

Further, it will be dangerous.
Yes I am talking about Snatch Straps (Kinetic Energy), not the normal tow straps. Is it allowed?

Thanks
--Sree--
sreerajunnithan is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 16:29   #244
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Yes I am talking about Snatch Straps (Kinetic Energy), not the normal tow straps. Is it allowed?

Thanks
--Sree--
Hi Sree,

Anyone is allowed to do anything. But after going through these discussions, do you think its sensible/mature to snatch a tow rope or ISWR?

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 17:20   #245
BHPian
 
sreerajunnithan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Banagalore
Posts: 445
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I rest my case sir!!! But still did not understand the "Immature" part in snatch recovery, which is practiced every part of the world with proper materiel. I will try to figure out!!!

Thanks
--Sree--
sreerajunnithan is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 17:30   #246
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
...how about snatching with tow straps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
...But still did not understand the "Immature" part in snatch recovery, which is practiced every part of the world with proper materiel. ...
You mentioned 'snatching with tow straps' which would imply trying to do snatch recovery using ordinary tow ropes (as opposed to elastic {kinetic} tow ropes). Now, that wouldn't be the best way to do things.

The world over, they use kinetic straps to do snatch recovery.

(PS to first-timers : NEVER, i repeat, NEVER ever try snatch recovery with kinetic tow ropes without having experienced hands around. )
Blue Thunder is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 17:41   #247
BHPian
 
sreerajunnithan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Banagalore
Posts: 445
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Yes I am talking about Snatch Straps (Kinetic Energy), not the normal tow straps. Is it allowed?

Thanks
--Sree--
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
You mentioned 'snatching with tow straps' which would imply trying to do snatch recovery using ordinary tow ropes (as opposed to elastic {kinetic} tow ropes). Now, that wouldn't be the best way to do things.

The world over, they use kinetic straps to do snatch recovery.

(PS to first-timers : NEVER, i repeat, NEVER ever try snatch recovery with kinetic tow ropes without having experienced hands around. )
Please read the statement again!!!

--Sree--
sreerajunnithan is offline  
Old 6th July 2010, 20:17   #248
BHPian
 
matchless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 71
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

I was surprised to see the Palar, this green and took some time to find a suitable track to exit the river. Last we came to this stretch was in 2006 and it was bare, you could see the other bank.

Regards,

Arka
We did some great climbs...
matchless is offline  
Old 7th July 2010, 12:34   #249
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 59
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

The Road Not Taken: TPC 2010 t5

octaneoverdose is offline  
Old 7th July 2010, 13:18   #250
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...
And YES - My front sway bar is removed too...
. You removed the sway bar??? No offense, but what happened to all these questions, apprehensions and what not all..!!!!!!

Seriously, I would like to know what changed your mind from these below ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Have you done a jump - all 4 wheels up in the air? No offense, but i guess then the sway bars would help control the rebound!

If the body roll increases, then the gypsy becomes funny to drive - You must be a great driver buddy!

I would'nt tamper much with my suspension settings as i am comfortable lifting wheels while doing obstacles!

Also, consider this situation - The vehicle is stuck [rear wheels halfway in muck and the front right is also maybe sinking in slowly - The front left will normally go in air [or stay on the ground in your case] Do you think it will give you traction in this situation?

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Buddy, If such a situation does not give traction, then what is the point in removing the sway bars? I'm a little foxed in this mod you have done. I dont actually see the effect of increase in articulation!
khan_sultan is offline  
Old 7th July 2010, 13:28   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
. You removed the sway bar??? No offense, but what happened to all these questions, apprehensions and what not all..!!!!!!

Seriously, I would like to know what changed your mind from these below ??
Hi Shahnawaz,

Not Winning TPC09, the Most Performing 4WD in TPC09 and Individual Special Stages Competition.

And Not to forget the 5 Maxxis Mudzillas.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 7th July 2010 at 13:33.
ex670c is offline  
Old 7th July 2010, 13:50   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
. You removed the sway bar??? No offense, but what happened to all these questions, apprehensions and what not all..!!!!!!

If the body roll increases, then the gypsy becomes funny to drive - You must be a great driver buddy!

Seriously, I would like to know what changed your mind from these below ??
He basically agrees that you are a great driver
Red Liner is online now  
Old 7th July 2010, 14:42   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
. You removed the sway bar??? No offense, but what happened to all these questions, apprehensions and what not all..!!!!!!

Seriously, I would like to know what changed your mind from these below ??
Please re-read my post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1968628 (TPC10 - India's Toughest 4x4 Off-Road Competition)

And I know you guys are waiting to jump on me
headers is offline  
Old 7th July 2010, 14:50   #254
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
And I know you guys are waiting to jump on me
Of course, what else do you expect.!!! Wait till we meet in person
khan_sultan is offline  
Old 7th July 2010, 18:40   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Of course, what else do you expect.!!! Wait till we meet in person
LOL KS: Lets not make this a chat session and get penalty points. Please remove these posts
headers is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Palar Challenge, 2014 - India's Toughest Offroad Competition ex670c 4x4 Excursions 12 20th August 2014 16:17
Tata Safari 4x4 The Off Road, and No road journeys tsk1979 4x4 Excursions 158 27th March 2014 21:55
TPC2012 - INDIA's Toughest Off-Road Competition ex670c 4x4 Excursions 53 17th October 2012 03:30
TPC2011 - India's Toughest Off-Road Competition ex670c 4x4 Excursions 70 16th August 2011 12:07
INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009 ex670c 4x4 Excursions 281 17th August 2009 10:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks