Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 12:13   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Recce Schedule

Hi Guys,

Its time to start the Recce's for TPC10.

All Volunteers and Competitors are welcome to participate in the Recce's.

Members without vehicles will have to co-ordinate with those with 4x4s.

Recce#1 18 April 2010 (Sunday)

Recce#2 1&2 May (Saturday & Sunday)

Recce#3 16 May (Sunday)

Recce#4 6 June (Sunday)

Recce#5 20 June (Sunday)

Recce#6 4 July (Sunday)

Recce#7 18 July (Sunday)

Recce#8 1 August (Sunday) Organizers Briefing

All local Volunteers must attend Recce#8 for final briefing for the event.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline  
Old 12th April 2010, 14:33   #32
BHPian
 
ram.west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 418
Thanked: 20 Times
Post

@arka : count us in.
ram.west is offline  
Old 12th April 2010, 16:58   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Arka you can totally count me in. Would not be participating but would be there at the event. Would be joining you guys for the event form the 6th of June. That is because my exams end only on may 28th.
arjunrudra is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 14:12   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Spice it up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

Its time to start the Recce's for TPC10.

All Volunteers and Competitors are welcome to participate in the Recce's.

Members without vehicles will have to co-ordinate with those with 4x4s.

Recce#1 18 April 2010 (Sunday)

Recce#2 1&2 May (Saturday & Sunday)

Recce#3 16 May (Sunday)

Recce#4 6 June (Sunday)

Recce#5 20 June (Sunday)

Recce#6 4 July (Sunday)

Recce#7 18 July (Sunday)

Recce#8 1 August (Sunday) Organizers Briefing

All local Volunteers must attend Recce#8 for final briefing for the event.

Regards,

Arka

Hey Arka,
Good to see you come with elaborate schedule in advance!!I thought we will have night off roading coming Saturday but its fine as far as it is before may 8th.

I will be in for any one of the weekends before May 8th as you know i am shifting base to Mumbai.

Few things i would suggest for TPC this year are-
  • Log crossing
  • Shallow water crossing with ample mud (best compromise to have fun and not damage vehicle at the same point)
  • Minimum use of winch as winch should not become one of the parameters that decides victory in the event
  • Keep fair share of mix between, sand, water, slush and rocky climbs (i don't know how you will do this!), so that monotony on sand doesn't hit you the second day
  • Introduce individual events like- Fix your jeep at fastest time possible (create a problem on a sample vehicle and ask teams to fix it) A very raw idea which can be refined upon, would be fun. Hands on guys will win this, i will have a disadvantage here
  • Fresh set of technical questions, specially useful for up-gardes and that are based on M&M & suzuki samurai heritage
Lets spice it up TPC 2010 baby

p.s- Arka, can i take the liberty to ask guys to chip in their ideas as to how to make TPC better?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 13th April 2010 at 14:13.
vinod_nookala is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 14:21   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Spice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Few things i would suggest for TPC this year are-
  • Log crossing
  • Shallow water crossing with ample mud (best compromise to have fun and not damage vehicle at the same point)
  • Minimum use of winch as winch should not become one of the parameters that decides victory in the event
  • Keep fair share of mix between, sand, water, slush and rocky climbs (i don't know how you will do this!), so that monotony on sand doesn't hit you the second day
  • Introduce individual events like- Fix your jeep at fastest time possible (create a problem on a sample vehicle and ask teams to fix it) A very raw idea which can be refined upon, would be fun. Hands on guys will win this, i will have a disadvantage here
  • Fresh set of technical questions, specially useful for up-gardes and that are based on M&M & suzuki samurai heritage
Lets spice it up TPC 2010 baby

p.s- Arka, can i take the liberty to ask guys to chip in their ideas as to how to make TPC better?
Hi Vinod,

You suggestions are timely and very refreshing, and we will definitely incorporate most of them.

Participants (Organizers/Competitors/Well-Wishers/Critics) please let us have your suggestions on how to make the event grueling, more demanding and Tough.

@ arjunrudra, I didn't understand what you mean, I guess you mean FANTA is available till you join us for the recce's

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 13th April 2010 at 14:23.
ex670c is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 14:32   #36
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

From everything I've read I gather TPC is not for newbies. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can the TPC trail be negotiated in a close-to stock gypsy with yoko geolandar tires?

If yes then I am in any capacity subject to going through the other requirements for entry. I am a Chennai boy after all and it gives me a chance to visit my farm-house near crocodile park on ECR.

Last edited by gsferrari : 13th April 2010 at 14:33.
gsferrari is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 15:40   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
From everything I've read I gather TPC is not for newbies. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can the TPC trail be negotiated in a close-to stock gypsy with yoko geolandar tires?

If yes then I am in any capacity subject to going through the other requirements for entry. I am a Chennai boy after all and it gives me a chance to visit my farm-house near crocodile park on ECR.
gsferrari,
You can surely come and participate. Its all about how quickly you pick up the tricks off road. If you do couple of off roads in your home town then you will get a hang of your vehicle.


I joined JT chennai in November 2007. Did quite a few off roads under guidance of experienced men. Got hang of it. Participated in palar 2008 as a newbie, won it.

Practice a lot before you come. Sand is a different ball game all together. Last year Srilankan driver had come, drove Gypsy very well but couldn't save his rear bumper. So come prepared.

p.s- Please do attend some steam bath sessions in your Gym to bear heat. Will be useful in Palar
vinod_nookala is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 15:51   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

I will be in for any one of the weekends before May 8th as you know i am shifting base to Mumbai.
OT- Sorry for going off topic. Vinod Nookala shifting base to Mumbai. Seems like Chennai's heat has taken its toll on you. Hope to see you soon.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 17:37   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
From everything I've read I gather TPC is not for newbies. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can the TPC trail be negotiated in a close-to stock gypsy with yoko geolandar tires?

If yes then I am in any capacity subject to going through the other requirements for entry. I am a Chennai boy after all and it gives me a chance to visit my farm-house near crocodile park on ECR.
Hi GS,

You are correct, the TPC is not an event for newbies. We suggest at least 3 OTRs before attempting TPC.

This helps because in TPC you will be doing 30-50 Climbs/Pits/obstacles (8-10 Special Stages) on Day#1 and 6-8 Special Stages on Day#2, the driver has to know his vehicle and how to preserve it.

Last year Sean Hameed (Lkcruisers), a very experienced driver, took a Stock Carb Gypsy King and won the Most Performing 4WD, minus the rear Bumper off course.

Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...nt-report.html (THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report)
ex670c is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 17:56   #40
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Arka - will it help as well if I tag along for the recce runs? I can bring my CJ3B along if my Gypsy is not in Chennai by then. I am planning for May 1/2 recce.

I've done 1 OTR as a passenger and 1 as a driver (the recent Alibaug otr). I expect to have a few more in by the end of this month.
gsferrari is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 18:32   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

You are correct, the TPC is not an event for newbies. We suggest at least 3 OTRs before attempting TPC.
Arka, i feel even newbies who know capability of their machines must be allowed. Remember the way Ironwolf drove during the Bangalore OTR? beautifully executed moves. Incidentally, this happened when experienced offroaders were finding things difficult. He knew what his vehicle could do and kept things simple and stupid. What do you say?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 18:40   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Arka, i feel even newbies who know capability of their machines must be allowed. Remember the way Ironwolf drove during the Bangalore OTR? beautifully executed moves. Incidentally, this happened when experienced offroaders were finding things difficult. He knew what his vehicle could do and kept things simple and stupid. What do you say?

Spike

Spike, the more participants, the better for us. Why Arka suggests some OTRs before TPC is because TPC is tough. It screws both man and machine and unless one has a prepared machine, one will NOT be able to do much obstacles.

Whether Jeep, Gypsy, Pajero, THAR, whatever 4wd vehicle, it is a test of the man and machine.

The heat aids in faster warm up
headers is offline  
Old 13th April 2010, 19:06   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

@ arka : Sorry wasn't clear. Not participating in the Palar Challenge but definitely will be there helping you out. And I have exams till the 28th of may so wont be attending the recce's till then. Will attend the ones starting from the 6th of June. And Arka about you taking Fanta , Anytime meaning anytime just a phone call away. Would trust it more with you than myself using it.
arjunrudra is offline  
Old 14th April 2010, 00:33   #44
BHPian
 
fiery enzyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN 01
Posts: 412
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Alright. Time to create a list.

For now we will focus on the recee.

1) Bala - Volunteer/Organizer
2) Vijay - Organizer?
3) Ram.West and group - Organizers
4) Vikram - Participant
5) Karthi - Organizer
5) Arka - Organizer
6) Deep - Organizer
7) Vinod - ?

Guys please keep adding to the list who will be joining us for the Recee.

Last edited by fiery enzyme : 14th April 2010 at 00:36.
fiery enzyme is offline  
Old 14th April 2010, 09:58   #45
BHPian
 
propeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: INVERCARGILL - Land For Speed
Posts: 100
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Alright. Time to create a list.

For now we will focus on the recee.

1) Bala - Volunteer/Organizer
2) Vijay - Organizer?
3) Ram.West and group - Organizers
4) Vikram - Participant
5) Karthi - Organizer - Propeller confirmed
5) Arka - Organizer
6) Deep - Organizer
7) Vinod - ?

Guys please keep adding to the list who will be joining us for the Recee.
HI,

Please be there with the blue angel . i'll never forget the last time the PALAR beat the guts out of me.

Propeller
propeller is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Palar Challenge, 2014 - India's Toughest Offroad Competition ex670c 4x4 Excursions 12 20th August 2014 16:17
Tata Safari 4x4 The Off Road, and No road journeys tsk1979 4x4 Excursions 158 27th March 2014 21:55
TPC2012 - INDIA's Toughest Off-Road Competition ex670c 4x4 Excursions 53 17th October 2012 03:30
TPC2011 - India's Toughest Off-Road Competition ex670c 4x4 Excursions 70 16th August 2011 12:07
INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009 ex670c 4x4 Excursions 281 17th August 2009 10:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks