Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

View Poll Results: When do we do the Western Ghats Expedition?
July first half 7 18.42%
July second half 13 34.21%
August first half 7 18.42%
August second half 3 7.89%
September first half 2 5.26%
September second half 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th February 2010, 17:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Western Ghats

Hi Guys,

A Few suggestions.

1) Ooty OTR for April-May (May Day Weekend)
2) Mumbai-Pune OTR in Mid-July

3) Avoid Reserve Forests & National Parks at all cost. It will be our bit to save the environment. Too many vehicles, Too many people, too much noise, too much light,too much litter etc.

Please let an OTR be an OTR, forget the fringe benefits and added attraction.

The Fringe Benefits/Added attraction will be to meet fellow mudslingers .

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 18:25   #107
Senior - BHPian

Arka, I am discussing with another bhpian regarding conducting an OTR in his private property. Will disclose him if he is willing or just let it be.

I agree with you on not doing it on RF. The fringe benefits are nice. Hoping to do a joint OTR with you guys.

BTW, if there is only one vehicle or if anyone of you come this side, we can do a silent OTR in some mind blowing locations in my CJ340. I am tired doing it by myself. I am out this Sunday doing just that.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 02:18   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
3) Avoid Reserve Forests & National Parks at all cost. It will be our bit to save the environment. Too many vehicles, Too many people, too much noise, too much light,too much litter etc.

Please let an OTR be an OTR, forget the fringe benefits and added attraction.

The Fringe Benefits/Added attraction will be to meet fellow mudslingers .
+1 to it. Guys if at all you want to get into the reserve forest or national park and if it is bandipur, then please collect all plastics in the stretch from bandipur to madhumali or masinagudi. to do this, one person or one vehicle is not sufficient. we need more people and more no of vehicle to accomplish this because there are tonnes of plastic on the highway that passes thru bandipur and madhumalai. Go to bandipur forest office and talk to RFO and do this. Please also place the boardings every km with all the creative writings on it in such a way that even a dumb guy should think before he throws the plastic in such area. Please do this, then your expedition will be worth if not for you guys, atleast for animals and the environment.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 13:10   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
+1 to it. Guys if at all you want to get into the reserve forest or national park and if it is bandipur, then please collect all plastics in the stretch from bandipur to madhumali or masinagudi. to do this, one person or one vehicle is not sufficient. we need more people and more no of vehicle to accomplish this because there are tonnes of plastic on the highway that passes thru bandipur and madhumalai. Go to bandipur forest office and talk to RFO and do this. Please also place the boardings every km with all the creative writings on it in such a way that even a dumb guy should think before he throws the plastic in such area. Please do this, then your expedition will be worth if not for you guys, atleast for animals and the environment.
my 100% to this.

Raj
Rajachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 16:03   #110
BHPian

first , no boards or holdings are allowed in mudhumalai, second only way we suggest anyone to save the environment is to make it mandatory for everyone to see the rules before they cross the check post into the sanctuary.

stop feeding monkeys , do not walk out of your car to take pictures.

no speeding or honking or high beams. no driving thru sanctuary after 8 pm.

about OTR, coming week i will be in madhumalai , so along with beejay will scout for the terrain, only in private property or public roads thru ghats.

Last edited by hunt : 14th February 2010 at 16:04.
hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:04   #111
BHPian

any activity on this thread , suddenly got sober,

well got a chance to do some offroading , sorry beejay couldnt catch up ,

few of my cousins invited me to destiny farms ooty,

its a place to off road, the resort people have asked me to park my scorpio at their parking lot and board their van , which is a high rise , then i told him whats that for.

he advised me about the road and its difficult for an SUV also.

i told myself that i should not miss this drive, insisted them i will take my own drive. and set off. its good OTR about 20 mins.

if there is any kind of rain trust me this road will be almost 2 hours drive.
you definetly need 4 x 4.
hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:19   #112
DKG
Senior - BHPian

We are waiting for folks from Goa or Bombay/Pune or Nilgiris to take the initiative to plan an OTR event along the lines of what they usually do but on a larger scale with participation from other states too.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:29   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
We are waiting for folks from Goa or Bombay/Pune or Nilgiris to take the initiative to plan an OTR event along the lines of what they usually do but on a larger scale with participation from other states too.
I thought we had decided to do the Bombay/Pune section as: Rajmachi/Sawarsi and were just waiting to decide on how many days to assign, i.e. 1 or 2.

Let us know your dates and days and we(bombay/pune guys) are ready.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:13   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are waiting for folks from Goa
Goa here - raises hand. I am in if Goa is on the radar. I know certain trails but need to be revisited as I have not been on those for some years now.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:28   #115
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I thought we had decided to do the Bombay/Pune section as: Rajmachi/Sawarsi and were just waiting to decide on how many days to assign, i.e. 1 or 2.
Choose a weekend of July and freeze the dates Tejas and let us know where we assemble, stay options (if you could help us know) etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I know certain trails but need to be revisited as I have not been on those for some years now.
Some more folks from Goa who are active offroaders mentioned they will meet up and plan something. We are yet to hear from them
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:41   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Choose a weekend of July and freeze the dates Tejas and let us know where we assemble, stay options (if you could help us know) etc
Questions:

1. How many days of OTR you want (excluding travel to and fro). I suggest one and a half days atleast.

Route: start with the new JNPT grounds (new bombay) in the morning, go to sawarsi and camp overnight or finish sawarsi and hotel stay in lonavla. Then next day rajmachi and then head homewards.

JNPT (3hours OTR) travel 3hours to sawarsi. 3hr OTR there then decide to camp overnight or head to lonavla (another 1.5hour drive to lonavla from sawarsi). OTR at lonavla (rajmachi).

2. Hotel stay / camp at OTR ground?

3. Last weekend of July is good. Rains should be adequate by then.

Stay, etc we will take care of.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:00   #117
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Tejas sounds like a plan. Lets get consensus from all interested and freeze the dates.
Old 4th March 2010, 23:31   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tejas sounds like a plan. Lets get consensus from all interested and freeze the dates.
What's happening on this front?

Also: rajmachi may be a problem. Heard that last year the locals got fed up with the nuisance created during multiple monsoon OTRs and complained to the cops and two jeeps were seized. Also the land is getting fenced off (work in progress).

We discovered another trail last weekend and looks promising:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...t-lonavla.html (The story of a great off-road weekend at JNPT & Lonavla!!!)

Don't know how it will be during the monsoons though with the lake level rising.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:18   #119
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Also: rajmachi may be a problem. Heard that last year the locals got fed up with the nuisance created during multiple monsoon OTRs and complained to the cops and two jeeps were seized. Also the land is getting fenced off (work in progress).
Oh what a pity. That was one heck of a trail. I guess these OTR's must be low key with little disturbance to locals otherwise this may be the fate of most trails eventually
Old 6th March 2010, 18:28   #120
BHPian

With the recently completely Nat Geo Apollo Hawkz Challenge ,there seems to be a good route between bombay and goa chartered by Mr. shrikant karani of sportscraft which was used for the programme.May be allan who competed in this challenge can give some info on this.
cheers
rallystar is offline   Reply With Quote