Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 23:59   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

A video from me

The Hill climb and descent and again a small hill climb to reach the point of starting.

V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 00:45   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Wonderfull

Wowo! Amazing narration and pics, looks like it was a HUGE BLASt out there at Alibag.

I missed it I missed it

Feel like doing the head banging all day long.:(
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 04:12   #78
BHPian
 
paras211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 609
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Met Prasad after a really long long time, great to see you chief, waited for everyone else and we left palm beach by 7pm .The drive to alibag was a little too long, Alan flyed past me and Tejas once with his siren , wow it is a fast and beautiful machine , but once we got there it was super duper fun, had some yummy humble dinner, rice roties are tasty; and we left for the amazing huge slushy area with a nice slippery track made by a now waterless canal (amazing place Dr Mohan).

Me riding in the back with Ibhiram at the wheel in his mad gypsy blazed through the canal slipping sliding counter steering mud/water/expletives flying as I bounced in the back and cheered to gun it.WhOOhOOO !!! I am dirty already.

Then saw the others do it , Prasad is grinning from ear to ear, his first otr and he's loving it.A little pajero gets it's short wheelbase in trouble and after trying everyting for over 2 hours Kunal's manual winch and muscle power get it out .We head back to the resort and begin chatting, absorbing heavy gyan on gypsies from Allan,Ibraim, james and Devang's conversation( who drank some horrible tasting sprite and crawled into his tent).
A short nap and its 7 am and breakfast time for the mosquitoes and i am up, lit up the hooka, sipping hot chai while everyone got up. Suprisingly early, the Sunday bound cars started ariving and we left for the trail and some water crossings.I jumped in Imran's gypsy( A/C WALLA) and off we went.

The trail was fun again organized superbly by Dr Mohan , soon Ibrahim finds the action inadequalte and with me riding shotgun we leave following a dry riverbed ( which was a nice challenging trail) . We come back to watch the Thar peforming beautifully up a climb ,it feels pretty wierd when something that looks like that does not rattle and clatter. Somuya was leaving early so I jumped in with him and Keyur, feeling guilty of dirting his spick and span innova interiors and headed home early making my mum really happy( i ve got exams in 10 days)
@ Somuya You really belt that Innova and yet it seems safe enough to have a nap while you drive. Thanks for the lift.

I am catching the otr bug slowly , still not sure if it'll be there long enough to get my self a 4x4 , I am scared its just a whim . BUt if i do its a diesel one for sure .

@ gogi B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l cj3b ,and it walked the walk too. Thumbs UP!!
@ devang dude sorry i couldn't get drive tThe monstar , Mum wouldn't have let me come at all if i tried to leave any earlier was studying .

Last edited by paras211 : 13th April 2010 at 04:16.
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 06:19   #79
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Thar up close anyone?
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 07:04   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Man, that it is one hell of an OTR with good mix of obstacles and vehicles.

Now I really need to get myself a 4X4 fast. If only M&M would listen and provide something suitable
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 07:39   #81
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 764
Thanked: 288 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Where the word had already spread and a demanding audience gathered in breathless anticipation...
Since there has been another demanding audience gathered in breathless anticipation to see a certain species of fleet footed goat,

we are going to fast forward straight from the felicitation ceremony to the hill climb.

(Dr Mohan, how do you convince someone not only to let us use, but also give us his JCB to dig up his own land for us?)

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-felicitation.jpg

And ladies and gentlemen, now presenting

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-allan_intro.jpg

The dentist taking an appointment with the Thar

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar1.jpg

Starts with no run up

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar2.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar3.jpg

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar4.jpg

and makes it half way

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar5.jpg

Then backs down

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar6.jpg

Then with a short run up

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar7.jpg

Easily makes it up the hill

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar8.jpg

Rahul too had another spin

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar9.jpg

And came out on the other side with flying colors

Alibaug OTR- Just what the good doctor ordered-thar10.jpg

My personal noob take: (Behram took me for a spin a little later on, making a new trail down the slopes of loose gravelly mango plantation, into a dry river bed with decent sized boulders and then back up a loose stony slope onto flat land.)

Looks like a plain jane. The cat convertor at first sight seems dangerously low and you feel there is no way it will survive. Starts up with a purr and then just takes off (there is no grunting, just sheer smooth power).
Good grip down the slope, jumps from rock to rock (there were some clanging sounds from the bottom) and then easily makes it back up. Totally effortless and with cat convertor intact.

Driving with Behram is an experience. You will truly appreciate the gentleman even more if you have grown up with Parsi friends. Humming a symphony, then in the same breath, interspersing some choice hindi expletives in the same rhythm and tune as boulders clang below and then again switching to the symphony as if nothing had happened.

As I write this, I realise that this description would pretty much sum up the experience with the thar!

Note: Given the keen interest in the Thar, my one request would be to keep the discussion of the Thar technicalities to the Thar thread (and link from here). Please keep this thread on topic to the experience of the people and vehicles during the OTR.

Last edited by genesis : 13th April 2010 at 07:45.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 08:09   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Jay go for an MPFi..
If I hear of one on sale, I'll let you know.. but this'll cost around 3L..
If that's too much, then go for a carb 1.3 (King).. But please stay away from the 1litre gypsies..
Also note that carb gypsies will be low low low on milage.
Even 1 litre gypsies are pretty competent offroad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I request people who drove the Thar on the track / people who saw it go around / people who photographed it post their comments in any way they think suitable.
Behram, its unfair . You know what!

The THAR did the water crossing, anyone.

Also, did anyone try rolling the THAR [What I meant was let the vehicle roll in gear without using A pedal to do the obstacle ]

Looks like all had a great time.

And BTW, was there any drags between the THAR and the Gypsies?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:59   #83
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Quick report:

Finally have time to write about my experience at the OTR event and the various obstacles. Not all of this is positive feedback...I hope the organizers can take this constructively.

I woke up at 5:00am and got ready to meet up with the others at the Panvel McDonalds. Packed my air compressor, puncture repair kit, digital pressure gauge, Cisco Flip HD cameras, change of clothes, biscuits and a thermos filled with liquid refreshments.

Left home at 5:50am and reached McDs at 6:30am where Imran showed up. Had a quick bite there, fueled up and headed to Alibaug. We were at the HP gas station at 8:30am where I dropped tire pressure from 32 to 24 psi. Sachin (Mohan's friend) met us here and I requested him to help us get ice for the thermos. Took a short detour to buy ice (30 rupees worth) and then headed to the resort where the guys were camped. We reached there at 9:30am.

Met up with Tejas, Mohan and the rest of the crew. I picked number 14 for Geoff and applied the stickers carefully (both have now come off after the post-OTR car-wash).

From 9:30am onwards was a pointless wait. Just hanging around doing nothing while some of the overnight members "woke up" taking their own sweet time. Possibly the only negative aspect of the event. I had to wake up at 5:00am to be on time only to find people lounging around and some still asleep in their tents. I could have slept 2 more hours and still been on time for the day's start!


Guys - please be sensitive to the fact that these are group events and that you need to keep time! By being lazy or un-coordinated you are delaying people who take these things seriously. Had we started as planned at 9:00am I would have been back home at 4:00pm - 5:00pm instead of 8:00pm and that is a HUGE difference on a Sunday!

Tejas/Mohan: next time we give 30 minutes grace time for late comers after which they just have to catch up on their own.


Eventually we got started and again there were issues with directions. Perhaps we should all understand the efforts taken by Tejas to give out numbers and FOLLOW order for a change. People randomly taking off in different directions and then more time being wasted getting back on track. Also - where was the lead car? The lead car has to lead from the front and a tail car in the back to make sure nobody is left behind. Another mess just negotiating the short distance to the venue.

A cool-off session and a chance for some to have a bath at the water fording section. Geoff lost his off-road virginity here and went across the water, up the bank at the other end and then joined back with the others in time to head to the real OTR obstacle sequence.

After getting there we had a quick instruction session from Allan and the action began. Once again some members decided to screw the "rules" and took off on their own all over the place. Why go as a group with numbered sequence if everyone is going to take off all over the place on their own accord? As a result of this indiscipline I sat around waiting for my turn while some members kept cutting the queue and progressing through the obstacles on their own. The side effect is that I only had one shot at each obstacle and no opportunity to explore going through with different gears. Everything was done in 4WD Low in 1st gear. There was nobody at the beginning to give suggestions/instructions. Just complete chaos!

Even as I set myself up to take the first ramp at the stone quarry, one of these out-of-control members cut in out of nowhere and decided it was his turn and cut me off!

If you look at my videos of the water fording section there is a speeding gypsy that cuts ACROSS the path of vehicles. This vehicle just missed my vehicle and a black Mahindra classic as we went across. This is downright dangerous because if I had stalled and stopped (newbie after all) he would have rammed right into me.

As it was, I did all the obstacles in 4L in 1st with no opportunity to try alternate techniques. I guess it was my fault because I wasn't aggressive in getting ahead of the queue, cutting the line and making a general nuisance of myself with no regard for the others behind.

Mohan/Tejas - thanks for organizing this awesome event and it was fun to meet the others and put faces and names to their Tbhp handles. I'll keep an eye out for future events and I will be sure to join. Please accept these comments as constructive feedback to keep things in order at future events. There is a reason why there are rules at OTRs and all you have to do is see how they do it at the events held in Bangalore, Hyderabad and NCR.

It is possible...let me know how I can help you guys out next time.

Cheers!
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:28   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Motocamp,
Do you mean to say the front overhang on a Thar is more than regular MM540?
Overhang is same for both these vehicles, but there is a slight difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
No it is not the same as the 540, it uses the chassis that is used on the new major i think and it definately has a longer overhang.
Motocamp, Thar's chassis is not same as the new major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Also, did anyone try rolling the THAR [What I meant was let the vehicle roll in gear without using A pedal to do the obstacle ]
Headers, it will roll without A pedal inputs, no big deal.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:19   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Quick report:

After getting there we had a quick instruction session from Allan and the action began. Once again some members decided to screw the "rules" and took off on their own all over the place. Why go as a group with numbered sequence if everyone is going to take off all over the place on their own accord? As a result of this indiscipline I sat around waiting for my turn while some members kept cutting the queue and progressing through the obstacles on their own. The side effect is that I only had one shot at each obstacle and no opportunity to explore going through with different gears. Everything was done in 4WD Low in 1st gear. There was nobody at the beginning to give suggestions/instructions. Just complete chaos!

Even as I set myself up to take the first ramp at the stone quarry, one of these out-of-control members cut in out of nowhere and decided it was his turn and cut me off!

If you look at my videos of the water fording section there is a speeding gypsy that cuts ACROSS the path of vehicles. This vehicle just missed my vehicle and a black Mahindra classic as we went across. This is downright dangerous because if I had stalled and stopped (newbie after all) he would have rammed right into me.

Cheers!
I was quite surprised to see the Gypsy cutting across at a good speed in the water fording video. Also it looked like the person driving the Gypsy probably could not see anything because the water was splashing across the windscreen. Looked quite dangerous.

Again, in another video, where Tejas was trying the climb after the first failed attempt, one of the gypsies was about to make a dash for it, but for the timely shout from someone.

Hope the events will become better and better in the future. I think it is time for an advisory post on "how to behave in an off-roading trip" by the more experienced guys.

-Biju
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:21   #86
BHPian
 
whitemm550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Margao goa
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

looks like you guys did have a blast, weel very busy in my business these days so no going on Team bhp, as often as i should, thus resulting in me missing a lot of action, Allan, next time i am IN.
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:01   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
pdev29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Quick report:

Finally have time to write about my experience at the OTR event and the various obstacles. Not all of this is positive feedback...I hope the organizers can take this constructively.

I woke up at 5:00am and got ready to meet up with the others at the Panvel McDonalds. Packed my air compressor, puncture repair kit, digital pressure gauge, Cisco Flip HD cameras, change of clothes, biscuits and a thermos filled with liquid refreshments.

Left home at 5:50am and reached McDs at 6:30am where Imran showed up. Had a quick bite there, fueled up and headed to Alibaug. We were at the HP gas station at 8:30am where I dropped tire pressure from 32 to 24 psi. Sachin (Mohan's friend) met us here and I requested him to help us get ice for the thermos. Took a short detour to buy ice (30 rupees worth) and then headed to the resort where the guys were camped. We reached there at 9:30am.

Met up with Tejas, Mohan and the rest of the crew. I picked number 14 for Geoff and applied the stickers carefully (both have now come off after the post-OTR car-wash).

From 9:30am onwards was a pointless wait. Just hanging around doing nothing while some of the overnight members "woke up" taking their own sweet time. Possibly the only negative aspect of the event. I had to wake up at 5:00am to be on time only to find people lounging around and some still asleep in their tents. I could have slept 2 more hours and still been on time for the day's start!


Guys - please be sensitive to the fact that these are group events and that you need to keep time! By being lazy or un-coordinated you are delaying people who take these things seriously. Had we started as planned at 9:00am I would have been back home at 4:00pm - 5:00pm instead of 8:00pm and that is a HUGE difference on a Sunday!

Tejas/Mohan: next time we give 30 minutes grace time for late comers after which they just have to catch up on their own.


Eventually we got started and again there were issues with directions. Perhaps we should all understand the efforts taken by Tejas to give out numbers and FOLLOW order for a change. People randomly taking off in different directions and then more time being wasted getting back on track. Also - where was the lead car? The lead car has to lead from the front and a tail car in the back to make sure nobody is left behind. Another mess just negotiating the short distance to the venue.

A cool-off session and a chance for some to have a bath at the water fording section. Geoff lost his off-road virginity here and went across the water, up the bank at the other end and then joined back with the others in time to head to the real OTR obstacle sequence.

After getting there we had a quick instruction session from Allan and the action began. Once again some members decided to screw the "rules" and took off on their own all over the place. Why go as a group with numbered sequence if everyone is going to take off all over the place on their own accord? As a result of this indiscipline I sat around waiting for my turn while some members kept cutting the queue and progressing through the obstacles on their own. The side effect is that I only had one shot at each obstacle and no opportunity to explore going through with different gears. Everything was done in 4WD Low in 1st gear. There was nobody at the beginning to give suggestions/instructions. Just complete chaos!

Even as I set myself up to take the first ramp at the stone quarry, one of these out-of-control members cut in out of nowhere and decided it was his turn and cut me off!

If you look at my videos of the water fording section there is a speeding gypsy that cuts ACROSS the path of vehicles. This vehicle just missed my vehicle and a black Mahindra classic as we went across. This is downright dangerous because if I had stalled and stopped (newbie after all) he would have rammed right into me.

As it was, I did all the obstacles in 4L in 1st with no opportunity to try alternate techniques. I guess it was my fault because I wasn't aggressive in getting ahead of the queue, cutting the line and making a general nuisance of myself with no regard for the others behind.

Mohan/Tejas - thanks for organizing this awesome event and it was fun to meet the others and put faces and names to their Tbhp handles. I'll keep an eye out for future events and I will be sure to join. Please accept these comments as constructive feedback to keep things in order at future events. There is a reason why there are rules at OTRs and all you have to do is see how they do it at the events held in Bangalore, Hyderabad and NCR.

It is possible...let me know how I can help you guys out next time.

Cheers!
Dude no offence meant,

but there are certain things which i want to say here.

1) its not a commercial event its purely for fun, so we would not like set a strict rules and guidelines where people feel they are not out to enjoy but to follow a leader.

2) this group is doing OTR from last 3 to 4 years (except few who joined this year) and there is a set rule of the group if one is missing the convoy will wait and i think its good for team bonding.

3) regarding intrusctions and help, i dont think anyone in this group will say "No" for anything, its just did you ask for it??? you dont have to ask trust me bro.. i think you didnt gel with everyone where people will be proactive.. for ex. Gogi was first timer i think he had no issues in terms of suggestions and guidence, prashant, mohan have done their first OTR with this group i think no one has faced this problem..

For me if i have to follow a strict boundry and set of rule i wont go and follow a leader and spoil my weekend, i will rather be free and do what i want. by saying this i dont mean anyone disrespect the other person, we all were following a chain but if a vehicle is taking time and i know i will just do it in a minute then it doesnt make sense to wait for half an hour, so in that case you might have got cut by someone.

dude no offence meant but trust me i do it for fun and would not like people to tie in a set of protocol till the time no one is messing with local or spoiling the event and i think no one did. for me it was a wonderful event.

Mohan your efforts are much appreciated.

Last edited by pdev29 : 13th April 2010 at 12:05.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:31   #88
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Oh no...the event wasn't spoiled and I had a blast! Meeting you guys was also a fantastic. I just came there expecting order and I was a but surprised by the chaos

BTW - are your stickers still on or have they come off? You did spend an awful long time with the "jeepers" sticker in particular
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:39   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
pdev29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

my stickers are still on but i think its gonna be out after one or two wash
hopefully you will get used to with Chaos and may start liking it too.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:41   #90
BHPian
 
turbochrgd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 32
Thanked: 6 Times
Thumbs up M back after a long time

hi guys most of you dont know me and i hope some of you do.
The reason most of you dont know as i have been a member of this forum but never posted anything but always read stuff..sorry am a lazy bum.
And i hope some of you know me as i was present for the OTR and some people addressed me as Varnil , some as Chicka and out here my handle name is Turbochrgd.

Well first it was a truly thrilling experience for me.
Second , i would like to thank all the Team Bhpians for that and even to the uncle ( who's name i cant recollect) who gave us his land and the JCB and the people..

It was really too much fun. and for me it was not just the 4X4 thing but also the fact that i met really interesting and fun people.
thought i did not interact with all of them (not that i didn't want to) i am really looking forward for the next OTR ( i hope this post will help me interact with all of you then , if it does not , please help me out ) or for that matter any other meet too.

Once again thanks a lot guys for the crazy weekend and please let me in on any upcoming event .

and thanks to pdev29 for inviting me (though it took him a year , but i understand after all he keeps on getting stuck )

Ooo and i have some photos but i need help uploading its.
And a thanks to James ( dont know his Handle name ) for being patient and waiting .
turbochrgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accomodation? v12 Route / Travel Queries 14 11th March 2017 15:27
Quick outing to Awas beach close to Alibaug kARTIK IYER Travelogues 0 24th May 2008 11:10
Pics/ Report : Mumbai BHPians Drive to Alibaug 12th June '05 Dippy The Team-BHP Meet Section 119 20th February 2008 12:26
UPDATED with VIDEO & PICS: Mumbai/Pune BHPians Drive to Alibaug 11th June '06 xtreme power The Team-BHP Meet Section 96 5th July 2006 12:01
Pune/Mumbai TBHPians Drive To ALIBAUG - Sunday 11th June! pdev29 The Team-BHP Meet Section 251 11th June 2006 21:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks