Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2010, 09:49   #46
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
GS: If Jeeps are coming along then, 75-80 is tough to maintain all day through!!
Your average will work out to 50 kmph to calculate time. It took me 10 hours to do Blr-Hyd and while I was doing 75-80 most of the time when you factor in stops for fuel and food the average drops to 50 kmph on Indian roads in most cars, not just Jeeps.

Tejas from my last discussion with the Hyd gang there could be as little as three and maybe as many as five Jeeps heading your way.

Last edited by bblost : 27th May 2010 at 11:00.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default OTR Plans

Hi Kunal,

Do the Participants for AKC, need to carry their own tents?

Even if we pitch our own tents, will you make the necessary arrangement to make Drain & and Snake Pits around the tent area, its monsoon and we wouldn't want to harass the local wild life.

Next is what is the Toilet facility?
Is it a free for all early morning, or you will arrange for Deep Trench Latrines (Avalakonda Style Toilets).

Imagine 60 odd people fertilizing your farmland, just make sure you give us enough veggies to eat all through out the day.

The Plan is
24th June - Night Stay Lonavala
25th June - Rajmachi (Kunal's Farm House) Lonavala-Rajmachi-Lonavala-Kunal's farm House.
26th June - AKC (Kunal's Farm House)
27th June - Sawarsi (Night Halt Lonavala)

My question is 25th Night why not stay at Lonavala, all the Bolly, Bangy, Baddies & Tigers can stay in the Same Hotel, and thereby avail better rate and reduce travel time and will free up the Schedule.

Also we can Leave our extra equipment in the hotel rather than lugging it all over the place.

The Hotel can serve as the unofficial Park Firme in case of any breakdowns or servicing or as Base of Operations from where all events are initiated.

And meet up at the AKC start Point on 26th June.

Regards,

Arka

PS - These are Just Suggestion 23th June to 28th June morning you guys can do what you want with us.

PPS - Venkat/Snake I will definite be there.

Last edited by ex670c : 27th May 2010 at 10:09.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:15   #48
BHPian

Hello everyone,
Iam also in with my Willys.

Regards,
Vishal
Old 27th May 2010, 10:18   #49
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
These are Just Suggestion
All are spot on Arka ! Aavalakonda certainly has set a very high standard in arrangements. They actually spoilt us

The hospitality extended by Mr and Mrs Srinivasan was exemplary

Kunal I think what Arka is implying is let people know what to expect so that people come prepared. Sensible thing to do

Can someone do a rough sketch of Rajmachi, Lonavla, Pune, Kunal's farm, Sawarsi locations relative to each other with distances so we can see what kind of stay options are the best? Maybe like Arka says we make the hotels at Lonavla our base and do the rest from there.

Last edited by DKG : 27th May 2010 at 10:19.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Your average will work out to 50 kmph to calculate time. It took me 10 hours to do Blr-Hyd and while I was doing 75-80 most of the time when you factor in stops for fuel and food the average drops to 50 kmph on Indian roads in most cars, not just Jeeps.

Deepak, on YOUR petrol 3B, its OK, but on an average jeep doing 80 consistent is a pain... The drone of the 2.1 / 2.5 Peugeot blocks is pretty high.

Infact, in one of the better maintained jeeps, we managed 100 kph nonstop from Hosur to Vellore in Sanjay David's 540 [a fuel stop at Hosur and a tea break at vellore bought us to Chennai in a little over 7 hours]
Old 27th May 2010, 10:25   #51
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
on an average jeep doing 80 consistent is a pain
That was the main reason why I dumped the DI in my car. It was like an assault on my senses everytime I drove it on the highway with the diesel !!
Old 27th May 2010, 10:46   #52
BHPian

The Alfa Kilo Challenge

Event Type: Non-profit and non-competitive Off Road Event only for vehicles equipped with working 4x4 and low ratio transfer case. (Under no circumstances will non 4x4 or SUV vehicles be allowed to participate)

Terrain: Rock, mud, water crossings, deep trenches and steep hill descents/climbs.

Event Venue: The event is being held at Karjat, 120km from Mumbai/Pune, off the old Mumbai-Pune highway.

Duration and Dates: This is a 2 day event being held on the 25th, 26th and 27th of June. All participantswill be required to report to the venue on the evening of the 25th of June, latest by 11:30 pm.

Food And lodging: All meals and lodging will be provided, only for confirmed participants, from the evening of the 25th to the morning of the 27th. We will provide both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian food (participants will have to state their food preference while booking).

Lodging is limited to a total of 45 people, so bookings will be done on first come first served basis. Once this number is met, bookings will close.

The accommodation which will be provided at my farm house, is dormitory style only. We have two private bedrooms for the ladies which can totally accommodate upto 10 people dormitory style.

The toilet’s available are:
  • English style x 2
  • Indian style x 1
  • Outdoor Trench toilets(NCC style) x 3
Cigarettes are not easily available, so we request the participants to carry their own poison.

We request people to avoid carrying unnecessary valuables to the Alfa Kilo Challenge as no locker facility is available.

Event Details:

1.Reporting for the event is on the 25th of June 2010, latest by 23:30 hours.
2.The event will commence at 9:00am on the 26th of June. All participants will be briefed, and the various recovery equipment/ techniques used on the trail will be explained, prior to the commencement of the event.
3.Participants will be randomly handed out AKC numbers which need to be displayed prominently on all vehicles.
4.Depending upon the number of vehicles, the participants will have a staggered start with smaller groups of 6 to 10 vehicles at a time entering the trail. This will help maintain order on the trail and prevent any mishaps.
5.The Event will continue throughout the day and into the evening. On the event day a light lunch will be provided on the trail.
6.This event is non competitive but the terrain to be traversed is difficult and Participants must follow instructions and exercise self discipline at all times.
7.Participants should understand their own and their machine's limitations and not cross these limits.
8.All vehicles must be mechanically sound 4wd vehicles, serviced and thoroughly checked one week prior to the AKC.
9.Seat belts are mandatory for driver and co-driver.
10.A maximum of 3 people per vehicle will be allowed to travel during the event. At each major obstacle only the driver will be allowed to be inside the vehicle. The occupants can observe from a safe distance.
11.No drinking alcohol while driving on the trail.
12.Please refrain from smoking on the trail to help prevent any ecological damage.
13.These instructions are not exhaustive. Participants should exercise the maximum possible caution.
14.At any given obstacle no more than two people should help with spotting/rigging the vehicle for recovery.
15.This is a totally non-profit event.

Individual safety while on the trail
  • Every individual should have a raincoat.(no umbrellas please)
  • No Chappals/sandals will be allowed, shoes only (at least ankle length)
  • Exercise caution while picking up rocks etc (these are favourite hiding places of snakes, scorpions etc.)
  • Always be aware of your surroundings and movement of vehicles on the trail.
  • Please ensure you carry any medicine you may need as the nearest chemist is 7km away, over bad roads.
  • Every individual will have to sign an indemnity form on the 25th of June.
  • Please carry a flashlight/Insect repellant.
Booking information/cost per person:

The cost per individual for the AKC is Rs.1500 only.

This includes food, lodging, tea and snacks plus AKC memorabilia.

The booking amount has to be paid in full before 15th June 2010.
The Amount of Rs.1500 to be paid via DD or online funds transfer.

The DD is to be made out to Kunal Bhaskaran payable at Pune.

Please contact Mr. Kunal Bhaskaran for online account details if you wish to make an online funds transfer.

Contact Details:
Mr Kunal Bhaskaran cell: 09881341144
Email: motocamp@yahoo.com

Bookings close on the 15th of june

You can also download the attachment and go over it at leisure.
Attached Files
File Type: doc mahindra.doc (65.5 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th May 2010 at 11:18. Reason: removed font tags/ no mention of Alcohol please
Old 27th May 2010, 10:51   #53
BHPian

Tejas, thanks for the consideration! khan_sultan, totally appreciate your concern, would definitely not like to get in the way of the events themselves! But if there's some way in which we newbies can start participating and getting into the hang of things, it would be awesome.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Tejas, thanks for the consideration! khan_sultan, totally appreciate your concern, would definitely not like to get in the way of the events themselves! But if there's some way in which we newbies can start participating and getting into the hang of things, it would be awesome.
Hi Siddesh thanks for the offer, but trust me being involved in the actual event planning and execution is a lot of hard work,dedication and involves travelling to the event site many times before the actual challenge.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:02   #55
BHPian

Yes, would like to claim that I am up for it. Guess we all got to start somewhere. This is something I have always wanted to do... and while the event itself is wayyy beyond my league right now, I still want to be able to start getting involved.

I'll watch out for any event involving newbies, and definitely bug you people again
Old 27th May 2010, 11:51   #56
BHPian

Hi Kunal,

Are we maintaining a participant list here?
A couple of my friends would also like to come along with me (I might make alternate arrangements for their stay) but they would like to be present at the actual MUD FEST!!

Thx
Prasad
Old 27th May 2010, 13:40   #57
BHPian

The Alfa Kilo Challenge

Event Type: Non-profit and non-competitive Off Road Event only for vehicles equipped with working 4x4 and low ratio transfer case. (Under no circumstances will non 4x4 or SUV vehicles be allowed to participate)

Terrain: Rock, mud, water crossings, deep trenches and steep hill descents/climbs.

Event Venue: The event is being held at Karjat, 120km from Mumbai/Pune, off the old Mumbai-Pune highway.

Duration and Dates: This is a 2 day event being held on the 25th, 26th and 27th of June. All participantswill be required to report to the venue on the evening of the 25th of June, latest by 11:30 pm.

Food And lodging: All meals and lodging will be provided, only for confirmed participants, from the evening of the 25th to the morning of the 27th. We will provide both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian food (participants will have to state their food preference while booking).

Lodging is limited to a total of 45 people, so bookings will be done on first come first served basis. Once this number is met, bookings will close.

The accommodation which will be provided at my farm house, is dormitory style only. We have two private bedrooms for the ladies which can totally accommodate upto 10 people dormitory style.

The toiletís available are:
  • English style x 2
  • Indian style x 1
  • Outdoor Trench toilets(NCC style) x 3
Cigarettes are not easily available, so we request the participants to carry their own poison.

We request people to avoid carrying unnecessary valuables to the Alfa Kilo Challenge as no locker facility is available.

Event Details:

1.Reporting for the event is on the 25th of June 2010, latest by 23:30 hours.
2.The event will commence at 9:00am on the 26th of June. All participants will be briefed, and the various recovery equipment/ techniques used on the trail will be explained, prior to the commencement of the event.
3.Participants will be randomly handed out AKC numbers which need to be displayed prominently on all vehicles.
4.Depending upon the number of vehicles, the participants will have a staggered start with smaller groups of 6 to 10 vehicles at a time entering the trail. This will help maintain order on the trail and prevent any mishaps.
5.The Event will continue throughout the day and into the evening. On the event day a light lunch will be provided on the trail.
6.This event is non competitive but the terrain to be traversed is difficult and Participants must follow instructions and exercise self discipline at all times.
7.Participants should understand their own and their machine's limitations and not cross these limits.
8.All vehicles must be mechanically sound 4wd vehicles, serviced and thoroughly checked one week prior to the AKC.
9.Seat belts are mandatory for driver and co-driver.
10.A maximum of 3 people per vehicle will be allowed to travel during the event. At each major obstacle only the driver will be allowed to be inside the vehicle. The occupants can observe from a safe distance.
11.No drinking alcohol while driving on the trail.
12.Please refrain from smoking on the trail to help prevent any ecological damage.
13.These instructions are not exhaustive. Participants should exercise the maximum possible caution.
14.At any given obstacle no more than two people should help with spotting/rigging the vehicle for recovery.
15.This is a totally non-profit event.

Individual safety while on the trail
  • Every individual should have a raincoat.(no umbrellas please)
  • No Chappals/sandals will be allowed, shoes only (at least ankle length)
  • Exercise caution while picking up rocks etc (these are favourite hiding places of snakes, scorpions etc.)
  • Always be aware of your surroundings and movement of vehicles on the trail.
  • Please ensure you carry any medicine you may need as the nearest chemist is 7km away, over bad roads.
  • Every individual will have to sign an indemnity form on the 25th of June.
  • Please carry a flashlight/Insect repellant.
Booking information/cost per person:

The cost per individual for the AKC is Rs.1500 only.

This includes food, lodging, tea and snacks plus AKC memorabilia.

The booking amount has to be paid in full before 15th June 2010.
The Amount of Rs.1500 to be paid via DD or online funds transfer.

The DD is to be made out to Kunal Bhaskaran payable at Pune.

Please contact Mr. Kunal Bhaskaran for online account details if you wish to make an online funds transfer.

Contact Details:
Mr Kunal Bhaskaran cell: 09881341144
Email: motocamp@yahoo.com

Bookings close on the 15th of june
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Do's & Don't.bmp (808.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: bmp Event Schedule.bmp (765.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 27th May 2010, 14:18   #58
BHPian

I dont want to miss this!!

My Pajero is up for major metal work (Front and Rear Bumper and Top), I was planning to get it repainted post the metal work but the paint job can wait.

I would try my best to get the work done well before time.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:20   #59
BHPian

Common Khan Bhai, at least don't deny us the pleasure of viewing. That's all we got for now!
Old 27th May 2010, 15:41   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

A Clarification to clear the air:

The Alfa Kilo Challenge (AKC) is being hosted by Kunal (motocamp) at Karjat from friday night to sunday morning) as outlined in this post.

Let me reiterate, the EXAMM! and AKC will be held together in association keeping in mind the maximum offroading possibilities that we can offer everyone. More trails, means more fun.

Since, Kunal in association with Abhimanyu's father has planned the AKC for a while, both parties decided to have different names of the event. That's all, nothing else; there is no other disparity.

Thus, people can participate in both events since they are happening consecutively and not overlapping. This is how it has been planned.

The itinerary:

- All out of town people need to assemble in lonavla on thursday night (24th June, 2010). Hotel details will be provided soon.
- We will start our EXAMMs on friday morning at 8:00am after breakfast at lonavla and head out to the Rajmachi trail.
- We finish the trail by evening and head towards Karjat and reach in time for dinner. Once there, the AKC starts as outlined by Kunal in his posts.
- On Sunday, after breakfast, we come to our last EXAMM, the Sawarsi trail. We will complete this trail by evening and the out of towners will head back to Lonavla and stay overnight before heading out to their respective cities.

Again, since Kunal has planned his event, we do not want to add to the confusion. The amount of Rs. 1500 is only for the AKC.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2010 at 16:25. Reason: As per my PM
Closed Thread