Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 14:18   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
He he.. Jaggu was driving with my B.I.L sitting inside, all scared :-). Look at the directions in which the wheels are pointed, all ready to roll over. It was fun.



Actually, it is the lack of articulation that is making the wheels rise up in the air. The jeeps that did it after me went without any drama :-)
Ah yes, but I was comparing it to the stock Gypsy.

And from the looks of the picture, most others would be in a similar position.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 1st July 2010 at 14:20.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:05   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Examm

Hi Allan, Devang and Tejas,

We guys from Chennai had a blast on EXAMM Day#1 & #2.

The Trail was very exciting and we were trying out every possible combination.

For an event to be successful, you guys need to share and plan this with the Mumbai Off-Roaders, I'm sure they would have helped if you guys would have asked.

There is one whole year for you guys to prepare and organize and next EXAMM and we guys are awaiting it eagerly.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:29   #93
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The Spidey dance at Sawarsi:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
He he.. Jaggu was driving with my B.I.L sitting inside, all scared :-). Look at the directions in which the wheels are pointed, all ready to roll over. It was fun.

Actually, it is the lack of articulation that is making the wheels rise up in the air. The jeeps that did it after me went without any drama :-)
Niceeeee, some of us prefer to sit outside and make others do all the circus!!

Well from inside it was not scary at all, maybe we are used to this dancing Spidey Me and Khan were laughing it out, while others were shouting at us he he. Even the poor B.I.L was terrified!

Possible theory that we BLR boys throw to absolve ourselves. Though i was following the spotting by Khan, Spidey "might" not have been following my steering inputs. The steering box is kinda bust after 1.5-2 years of abuse with the original SPOA steering set up (which was rectified couple of weeks back) and was getting stuck randomly. This is also being rectified since it gave us one or two scary instances on our drive back also.

So i would have assumed the steering to have turned fully to the end (at the stuck position), while the wheel was pointed sideways.

But it was good fun, and in that controlled situation even if it had rolled, it would require only a lift, without damage to man or machine he he

EDIT: Articulation issue, front full articulating and with rear on stock shocks handicap. Poor chassis and body stuck in between he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Ah yes, but I was comparing it to the stock Gypsy.
And from the looks of the picture, most others would be in a similar position.

Drifter
Funny thing rest of the gypsy gang gave it a pass i guess, only MM's and CJ's went for it, till we left atleast.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st July 2010 at 15:35.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:56   #94
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Ah yes, but I was comparing it to the stock Gypsy.

And from the looks of the picture, most others would be in a similar position.
Actually, Danny's Gypsy passed this part later (after MM's/CJ's) and it did not do this much of circus. We guided Jaggu this way to create a semblance of difficulty and some 'O M G' moments for the village folks who had gathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
....EDIT: Articulation issue, front full articulating and with rear on stock shocks handicap. Poor chassis and body stuck in between he he...
Yeah, long shocks for the rear -- coming soon.

Quote:
Funny thing rest of the gypsy gang gave it a pass i guess, only MM's and CJ's went for it, till we left atleast.
No, danny passed this ditch and did it with very little circus -- easily
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:56   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
pdev29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Allan, Devang and Tejas,

We guys from Chennai had a blast on EXAMM Day#1 & #2.

The Trail was very exciting and we were trying out every possible combination.

For an event to be successful, you guys need to share and plan this with the Mumbai Off-Roaders, I'm sure they would have helped if you guys would have asked.

There is one whole year for you guys to prepare and organize and next EXAMM and we guys are awaiting it eagerly.

Regards,

Arka
Arka appreciate your help and guidance throughout the event. we will make it better next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Niceeeee, some of us prefer to sit outside and make others do all the circus!!

Well from inside it was not scary at all, maybe we are used to this dancing Spidey Me and Khan were laughing it out, while others were shouting at us he he. Even the poor B.I.L was terrified!

Possible theory that we BLR boys throw to absolve ourselves. Though i was following the spotting by Khan, Spidey "might" not have been following my steering inputs. The steering box is kinda bust after 1.5-2 years of abuse with the original SPOA steering set up (which was rectified couple of weeks back) and was getting stuck randomly. This is also being rectified since it gave us one or two scary instances on our drive back also.

So i would have assumed the steering to have turned fully to the end (at the stuck position), while the wheel was pointed sideways.

But it was good fun, and in that controlled situation even if it had rolled, it would require only a lift, without damage to man or machine he he

EDIT: Articulation issue, front full articulating and with rear on stock shocks handicap. Poor chassis and body stuck in between he he



Funny thing rest of the gypsy gang gave it a pass i guess, only MM's and CJ's went for it, till we left atleast.
Jaggu I did that it was fun but i took different approach so didnt come in the air it was simple one.. this one looks fun.

Last edited by pdev29 : 1st July 2010 at 16:09.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 15:57   #96
BHPian
 
satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 801 Times
Default

I think we are missing a very important event which involved 2 winch equipped Mahindra's anchored by another 2 mahindras trying to extract a Gurkha that had fallen into a ditch where the road had caved in on the way back from Sararsi the sunday evening.

Must admit that Arka, Vinod and the rest of the Mahindra team did a commendable job in extracting the Gurkha (with the horns )
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:05   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Actually, Danny's Gypsy passed this part later (after MM's/CJ's) and it did not do this much of circus. We guided Jaggu this way to create a semblance of difficulty and some 'O M G' moments for the village folks who had gathered
Hahaha, well if I was there I would have been as surprised as those villagers. Good show.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:13   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
pdev29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

I took this approach, should have been little more on left then it would have been good fun.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st July 2010 at 19:19. Reason: Putting up JPEG.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:21   #99
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
I think we are missing a very important event which involved 2 winch equipped Mahindra's anchored by another 2 mahindras trying to extract a Gurkha that had fallen into a ditch where the road had caved in on the way back from Sararsi the sunday evening.

Must admit that Arka, Vinod and the rest of the Mahindra team did a commendable job in extracting the Gurkha (with the horns )
Oh yes. Ofcourse! Actually, the road beneath the Gurkha collapsed due to heavy rain and it got stuck.

Good recovery by the folks.
Attached Images
    
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 16:35   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Tejas,
Did the road collapse under the weight of the Gurkha when it went over this patch? Had he kept driving on the right side of the road this situation could be avoided, as just before the puddle the earth looks freshly dumped to widen the road which has gone soft due to the water accumulation right beside it. You will know better than my analysis as you were on field.
Regards,
Name:  041.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  63.2 KB

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 1st July 2010 at 16:44.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 17:04   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

This Gurkha point is special to me, as this was the first time I actually drove a vehicle on a 4WD trail and needless to say I breezed through. I had to agree when Sawant (our recovery expert) asked me "Arre chal re"

Spike

PS- Arka was continuously pushing me to drive his vehicle during the 3 day event. I stayed away as I was observing vehicle behavior, driving strategies used by various offroaders (experienced & newbies) during the event. I believe once your fundas are correct (not that I don't know what is to be done) you need not worry any further. Arka, soon you will see me driving alongside in a 4WD trail
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 17:06   #102
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Tejas,
Did the road collapse under the weight of the Gurkha when it went over this patch? Had he kept driving on the right side of the road this situation could be avoided, as just before the puddle the earth looks freshly dumped to widen the road which has gone soft due to the water accumulation right beside it. You will know better than my analysis as you were on field.
Regards,
Attachment 378578
I frankly have no idea. The gurkha left alone trying to get back early. We just got a call saying the road collapsed and he got stuck. So we send cars out to fetch him and other cars were guided back via another trail.

These pics were clicked by Pinky Singh's (gurkha driver) passenger. I'll ask and get back here as regards how it happened.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 18:20   #103
BHPian
 
mohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 298
Thanked: 368 Times
Default

Anxious moments for the gypsy
Attached Thumbnails
EXAMM Report Card-fb14.jpg  

mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 18:30   #104
BHPian
 
mohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 298
Thanked: 368 Times
Default

More photos from the Sawarsai trail.
Attached Thumbnails
EXAMM Report Card-fb15.jpg  

mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 18:54   #105
BHPian
 
tigerranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pune
Posts: 49
Thanked: 8 Times
Default first ever off roading

Allan, Dewang and Tejas

Thanx, first ever off roading experience and we really had a blast.

Looking forward to meet you guys for all the events organised by EXAMM. We both father and son will be there with our machines.

Regards
Kishor
tigerranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXAMM/AKC - A Passenger's report Samurai 4x4 Excursions 126 2nd July 2015 16:12
EXAMM 2011 - A report. nomadabhi 4x4 Excursions 63 26th February 2012 14:33
Which cities in U.P. can issue Smart card or Plastic card driving license (DL) ? zook09 The Indian Car Scene 11 24th November 2010 15:21
LAN card to LAN card sharing abhibh Gadgets, Computers & Software 15 21st December 2008 01:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks