Distinguished - BHPian

More pictures from participants:
Attached Images

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 16:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

For some reason McD was shut and we were told that it would take 20 minutes to open and we should wait outside. Within 5 minutes a car came with 4 foreigners and they were let inside and serve. I lost my head completely at the manager and accused him of racism. This is a sad truth in India... the fair skin always gets better treatment.
OT- Doc, I can't believe this happened to you. Even with your complexion if you faced such treatment, imagine what my plight would be, I face the probability of being called a negro LOL!

Spike

PS- No offense meant to anyone please.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 16:22   #63
BHPian

Started off as a comedy of errors

After seeing my fleetfooted friends in their flying machines taking off like bats out of hell, I convinced the sticker lady that pasting stickers on my jeep was not a high priority activity.

Tried catching up but the scorpio's kept zooming by. At the turn for pen, there were these policemen standing, and they did not wave for us to turn. After seeing Tejas's flashy machine go by, maybe they thought the CJ was a village jeep heading for Vadkhal. So we went ahead a bit, then saw the scorpios turning and after some deft manoeuvrings against oncoming trucks, joined the line.

Towards the turn off for the trail it was a parking lot as autos and trucks tried to get past the long line. Of course there were illustrious scorpios cutting ahead in a double line as if they were on Andheri Kurla road.

Made the turn and my co passengers marveled at the scenery and the numerous waterfalls in the hills, then as we reached the steeper sections, the waiting times increased and in that the CJ heated up a bit and cut out twice on slopes. A bit of petrol spitting into the carb solved the issue (strictly no smoking after that!) and we belted past some slithering heavyweights onto the flatland before the longest steepest winding tarmac road.

Waited there for close to two hours, hanging out with a high spirited balle balle brigade in 2 scorpios, a great guy in a bolero (clifford?) who had just come back from spiti, a tyre dealer and rugby player and a white scorpio with windows which had dhishum dhishum sounds coming out of it. (Turned out they were watching a movie). Picked up thrash that rich people in big cars throw out of their personal vehicles and marveled at how insensitive one can be to nature.

It soon became apparent that the wait would only increase due to the parking lot of cars up ahead some taking photos/one genius who parked in the middle of the trail and went away after locking the scorp/the rains washing the terrain/a lot of the scorpios taking it too casually and thinking they can make it in 2nd gear and stalling midway.

In hindsight, actually had a good time there enjoying the scenery, chatting, and it allowed the jeep to cool down. Met Dr Mohan and his hardy crew on the way up in the 4WD red scorpio as they went past. (Should have just followed them ). Learnt from him that the other trails had been washed away and it was now going to be up and down the same way.

Started thinking if we would even be allowed up before cars started coming back. Was chatting with the organiser at the base of the climb and soon I saw a familiar greenish looking vehicle (this time with better tyres) snaking its way past the plain towards us. It was Behram Dhabar and the Thar and that brought a glimmer of hope to my eyes...

--to be continued--

Last edited by genesis : 27th July 2010 at 16:27.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 16:32   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally we get to hear the story from our bichda hua bhai (long lost brother)...

I think i know who the white scorpio owner seeing the movie was!

More pics:
Attached Images

Old 27th July 2010, 16:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

I have heard people complain about a MGE, tooo many participants, 2WD scorpio's given preference, et all... but this pic shows how boring it can get "IF" a 2wd blocks the entire line....

Name:  loooooonggggg line.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  176.7 KB

Edit:

Come to think about it, the official Men-In-ORANGE M&M Recovery team must have been REALLY bored in the Bangalore Annual OTR (Jan26th), and the recent EXAMM/AKC's

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th July 2010 at 16:48.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 16:55   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics, but Mahindra should definitely disallow 2WDs for the Great Escapes. Why bring a knife to a gunfight??
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 16:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
It was Behram Dhabar and the Thar and that brought a glimmer of hope to my eyes...
--to be continued--
We shake hands and come to know that Behem is actually suffering from severe food poisoning the previous night and his doctor has certified him insane for coming out that day along with cyrus. But there is still the same mischievous glint in the eye and the casual, "Chal Na Upar Jaate Hai!"

Now with 'official' Mahindra sanction we power our way past waiting vehicles and the CJ performs like a champ, just like the Thar .
But soon we come to a part where some looney has double parked. Behram tries to take the Thar from the side with one side in the rain gutter at the side of the trail and then it happens.

A big boulder at the edge of the gutter gives way and the thar slides in sideways and is nicely wedged with a rock wall close to the bumper, a large rock behind the back wheel and a huge rock in the middle preventing any movement and of course the gutter is a slush pit.
Behram tries a few times but there is just no room to move.
Everyone is excited to see some 'action' and then the Mahindra recovery crew comes along, incredulous that the thar was stuck and they have a chance to winch it out. The newbies are all excited to see more winching action (like i once used to be). Took a few shouts to get them to move behind vehicles in case they did not want their heads chopped off if the cable broke.

The Thar is winched out, Behram magnanimously attributes it to his driver error and we move on up the trail. This is fun until we turn a bend and see even more stopped cars, so we park and walk up. There is a rocky stretch where there is just a glimmer of a track left with fast flowing water on both sides, so the organisers were wisely preventing the 2x4s from going further. But we had 4x4s. So what to do?

Cyrus comes along saying, lets make our way up the hillside to the point ahead of the parked cars. Sure enough, a quick recce solves the problem and like true jeepers we come up the shadow of a walking trail and park to the side.

Then commenced a long stretch of guiding scorpios coming down the slope from the top before we headed up. Some listened to signals for slowing down, some stopped on slippery slopes to take pictures, some pointedly ignored instructions and came down to give their drivers wrong directions (and got their wheels jammed), and then looked for help. But soon most were down, including Mohan and crew (from whom we got the trail update about the top).

Once the traffic had thinned out, the Thar and the CJ headed up for what my first time offroader friends termed the 'crazy' stretch as we plowed past rock, slush and mush without much fuss and they hung onto the roof of the CJ for dear life. As we crested to the top where Tejas's red classic was parked and Nishant was performing honorary tow service for scorpios which could barely turn, I had a broad grin on my face and turned and asked my friends, "How was it?". And the reply came in unision, "Insane!"

And that was how a total disaster of a start turned into an insanely great end.
all thanks to my long lost brothers, the mahindra crew, behram, vinod and dr mohan.

Special mention goes to Gogi 'Crawling Sikh' Singh without whose spare fan belt, I would have been sitting at McDonalds and eating burgers and fries all day instead of munching up the mean terrain.

Will end with a quote from Mohan in an email exchange we were having. (Mohan - am taking the liberty of cutting and pasting)

"nisargachya samor sagle chote astaat"

"In front of nature, everything else is very small and insignificant" and that my friends defined the day!

Last edited by genesis : 27th July 2010 at 17:10.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 17:09   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

A few pictures of the Thar in the ditch: (source: FB)
Attached Images

Old 27th July 2010, 18:40   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - Ha Ha, it is nice to see the photographs of the Thar stuck. WELL, I ASKED FOR IT. IT WAS MY MISTAKE, FAIR AND SQUARE. I did not attempt this obstacle in my mind before I tackled it. What else did I expect? Well, look at the bright side, many people got to take photographs of the extremely articulated rear axle (LH on jounce, RH on rebound). In hindsight, if I had a winch, I would have winched my way out in a jiffy (this reminds me to put a winch on now). Naresh Bhosle's merry men did exactly that. The winching distance was about 2 metres only, then it came out like a bat from hell. I was not feeling well also (I had severe food poisoning after eating Chinese the day before), my doctor had advised me to rest, but I could never resist an OTR so I did not exert myself to remove one rock from behind the right door.

Then Soumya and I merrily went up the way where everybody was coming down. At one point, we took a detour through the jungle. I saw our VP (Marketing) Mr.Vivek Nayer Sir with an incredulous expression on his face, as if saying, "Behram, you crazy Bawa, are you really going up that way? Good God, heaven help you". Yes, we went up all the way to the top point where the hill ended. I felt like Tom Cruise in the first scene of Mission Impossible 2. There was nowhere further to go!

There we met Tejas, Gogi, Jiggy, Vinod, Ibrahim et al. We did not expect anybody else. We all enjoyed seeing CL340s pull out the 2 wheel drives, I think all of us must have offered our silent sympathies to guys who did not have 4 wheel drive, hoping that good sense would prevail and people would henceforth buy only 4 wheel drive and then came down. We had a hot cup of tea and some steaming batata wadas at a friendly roadside dhaba. Then it was the customary / compulsory "chamcha" all the way to the hotel, around 20 kms away.

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
my doctor had advised me to rest, but I could never resist an OTR so
Well, this was not a crazy idea.

Quote:
We had a hot cup of tea and some steaming batata wadas at a friendly roadside dhaba
BUT Behramji, This... was seriously seeking trouble after a bad tummy

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th July 2010 at 19:05.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:30   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Santosh - look at it this way. The system is in any case down, it cannot get any worse, besides I had eaten nothing since morning so what the hell. The restroom in the hotel came in handy however and made me press the 'chamcha" that much more to reach there that much faster. At the hotel I consulted "Doctor Tejas" and like a good boy ate only curd rice Saar! See? One more reason to have a very fast Thar under your right foot! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:31   #72
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know about the Scorpio that toppled. There is a pic in the Hindustan Times Monday edition. Will scan and put up the pic tomorrow.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:39   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know about the Scorpio that toppled. There is a pic in the Hindustan Times Monday edition. Will scan and put up the pic tomorrow.

Viper
Whoa! what is this? Happened on the trail or on tarmac?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:59   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Whoa! what is this? Happened on the trail or on tarmac?
Jaggu,

This happened on the trail can't make out whether it was during the way up or way down from the pic. I think it happened on the way up.

I'll quote the caption below the pic.

"Mahindra Scorpio turns turtle on the mud race track during the 59th Mahindra Great Escape Rally which was conducted on the Mumbai Goa Expressway near Panvel on Sunday"

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 22:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
MGE was a great fun! The boring 2wd track (to me) suddenly became dicy even for a 4wd!! The rains were so bad that the roads were washed away and rocks moved making one hell of a 4wd track. One nightmare was 100 + vehicles which we invited thinking the tracks difficuilty would be lot lesser.
KUdos to every one who attempted this terrain on 2wd. Some drove really well!

My special mention to Dr. Mohan and his friend Mandhar without whom this event wouldnt have been possible at all! Dr.Mohan ensured this event passed on peacefully effectively managing all the stakeholders. Not only he did that, but also walked through all the trail and helped guided every one, took feedback as if it was his own event. Hard to find such people sparing their precious time for the love of off roading!

Special thanks to Tejas, Nishanth and Rane who used thier personal vehicles to recover big heavy 2wd bemoths. Not only they recovered vehicles but guided every vehicle through the tough terrain.

Last but no the least our recovery guys and thier vehicles were up to the task to pull out as many as possible. If time and safety of the persons was not a issue we would have seen every one was at top. But i guess safety is paramount and glad every one understands that! Overall it was a safe event, no one was injured inspite of some alarming angles of few vehicles. Few had to return as it had become risky and not worth the effort.

Most got their wheel spin specially 4wd's! Now i think most would agree when i say-' The 4x4 ball has set rolling'! :-))

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 27th July 2010 at 22:35.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote