Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 1st September 2010, 12:33   #31
BHPian

Exclamation Wildest MGE EVER!

Looking at these MAhindra Classic wheelies.. I don't know what to say... BTW.. A 4x4 Scorpio was there too!

This looks like the wildest MGE ever!

Name:  41234_434932064172_298850354172_4755584_1922657_n.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  46049_434932324172_298850354172_4755590_5913644_n.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  46049_434932334172_298850354172_4755591_6867905_n.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  46049_434932349172_298850354172_4755594_2220853_n.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  46954_434932449172_298850354172_4755596_2692824_n.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  71.1 KB
Courtesy: Mahindra Great Escape | Facebook
Finject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 14:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Was running slight temperature before I left bangalore, reached Chikmagalur, temperature started shooting up, started popping heavy doses of anagesics and antipyrestics, somehow finished the MGE successfully, drove back to bangalore, dropped dead on the bed for close to 3 days straight, got back to work and tbhp only today.

Dont know where to start but let me launch with heartfelt appreciations to Vinod for bringing this event together. Just one word for the over all effort + execution quotient "MIND BLOWING"!!! Despite of ill health, Vinod and his team ensured that we enjoyed every meter of that 48km trail. It still amazes me to think how you guys recce'd and managed to put the sign boards each and every place so so meticulously!!! HATS OFF to you folks yaar...really impressive I must say.

Before we started from Bangalore, we had a bunch of people saying that MGEs is just elementary 2 wheel drive trails with no challenge to man or machine etc etc...WTH I'd love to see one person out of the whole lot that gave me the incorrect gyaan even cross the first obstacle without the aid of 4x4 out of all 100+ of them, LOL!

The terrain was definitely demanding as a complete package as one had to be on his/her toes for close to 3+hrs out of the 6hours odd, no blinking. Couple of obstacles were mental, I didnt attempt one for the fear of busting my diff (which the marshalls called of a bit later anyway) and one I missed by over shooting from another side, got misguided by some fellow Jeepers who didnt want to experiment.

THAR as usual, brilliant, took every damn obstacle with relative ease. I cant wait for this thing to launch, also, I better get my finances prepped by then. Vinod, you hearing me? Please make it pocket friendly

Will come back with photos soon, time to consume my second dose of antibiotics for the day!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 1st September 2010 at 14:41.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 15:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Before we started from Bangalore, we had a bunch of people saying that MGEs is just elementary 2 wheel drive trails with no challenge to man or machine etc etc...WTH I'd love to see one person out of the whole lot that gave me the incorrect gyaan even cross the first obstacle without the aid of 4x4 out of all 100+ of them, LOL!
They say that because MGE was always like that (Except the good'ol days of CJ340s). Often over crowded by drivers in Scorpio 2WDs, who never take it seriously. Even Vinod will accept it. It is a welcome change if you found it challenging, But I am sure rain would have made the event tougher. At the beginning of this thread Vinod mentioned that a "Good driver with 2WD" can mange the terrain. Terrain changes dramatically after heavy rains. Glad to know you enjoyed it, and get well soon

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st September 2010 at 15:21.
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 17:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sree..

You are correct, rains had a big role to play on this trail too without doubt but Id highly doubt if non 4x4s couldve really made it anywhere even with half the rain. Im a rookie so my judgement might not be too definitive, experts can add...

BTW, I was just trying to bring out the contrast of this event with the ones in the past, no blames to the ones I received the inputs from, I know that they only shared their experience in its purest form.

p.s: This trail was just about perfect for outstation participants coz if the trail was any nastier it wouldve jeopardized man and machine making it difficult to drive back home those hundreds of kms as planned without unforeseens.

Last edited by The Wolf : 1st September 2010 at 17:10.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Satisfactory OTR 4wd only

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
They say that because MGE was always like that (Except the good'ol days of CJ340s). Often over crowded by drivers in Scorpio 2WDs, who never take it seriously. Even Vinod will accept it. It is a welcome change if you found it challenging, But I am sure rain would have made the event tougher. At the beginning of this thread Vinod mentioned that a "Good driver with 2WD" can mange the terrain. Terrain changes dramatically after heavy rains. Glad to know you enjoyed it, and get well soon

Thanks
--Sree--
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
If it rains it would be quite dificuilt. If it doesnt rain it would be fairly easy but will require 4wd, but a good driver on 2wd can manage. So guys please pray for good rain!!!!
Its hard to predict an event, but this time all the probabilities were under control. Just didnt want to take a chance. One light shower could have made things bad and hence right in the begining we announced it for 4wd only and this was the first time! I was waiting for such terrain and local population of 4wds. Couldnt let it go

Quote:

Dont know where to start but let me launch with heartfelt appreciations to Vinod for bringing this event together. Just one word for the over all effort + execution quotient "MIND BLOWING"!!! Despite of ill health, Vinod and his team ensured that we enjoyed every meter of that 48km trail. It still amazes me to think how you guys recce'd and managed to put the sign boards each and every place so so meticulously!!! HATS OFF to you folks yaar...really impressive I must say.

WTH I'd love to see one person out of the whole lot that gave me the incorrect gyaan even cross the first obstacle without the aid of 4x4
The terrain was definitely demanding as a complete package as one had to be on his/her toes for close to 3+hrs out of the 6hours odd, no blinking. Couple of obstacles were mental, I didnt attempt one for the fear of busting my diff (which the marshalls called of a bit later anyway) and one I missed by over shooting from another side, got misguided by some fellow Jeepers who didnt want to experiment.

THAR as usual, brilliant, took every damn obstacle with relative ease.

Quote:
p.s: This trail was just about perfect for outstation participants coz if the trail was any nastier it wouldve jeopardized man and machine making it difficult to drive back home those hundreds of kms as planned without unforeseens.
Thanks wolf for all the praises! For me too this event was really satisfactory. Everything went as planned which rarely happens!Yes you are right a lot of hard work went into this event. There were sections that were tough. We gave them choice with alternative routes. You did a wise thing, you preserved your vehicle. A great trait you showed. As every vehicle passed by last obstacle became worse and chances of slide were high. Your vehicle was one of the last few to attempt it.

Now get well soon and post pics from your cam

PS- @Finjet please post more pics.
@phigolden & Awaneesh- Where is your pics?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd September 2010 at 20:57.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 19:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

@Vinu_my_friend: Super man.. Where are the pictures of the obstacles..I saw only 1 or 2.

P P P - Please post pictures
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 12:56   #37

Since I was busy enjoying my first time, I have very few pictures of the obstacles. Most of the pictures were taken while waiting for a vehicle ahead to clear an obstacle, or, for the convoy to regroup to move to the next part of the trail.

Apologies for the quality of some photographs in advance.
Attached Images

Awaneesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 11:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up MGE and off-roading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi Guys,
Had one of the best Great Escapes and having seen many off road events across i would call this as one of the toughest and most enjoyable Mahindra Great Escapes ever.....
Congrats on taking the MGE to the next level, vinod_nookala

The trail does look tough, and looks like all had a great time off-roading. The THAR seems to have been intentionally parked with the rear axles articulated .

Any videos taken?
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 10:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default Next level

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Vinu_my_friend: Super man.. Where are the pictures of the obstacles..I saw only 1 or 2.

P P P - Please post pictures
Headers my friend,
There were the following stages-
  • Hill exit right behind the hotel we flagged off- Here itself most 4wd's (mainly first timers) got stuck
  • Cattle stage- Extremely slushy trackused only by cattle and ofcourse jeeps.
  • Estate track loop- U turn where almost every one got stuck and made engine revs to good use (NDMS did well here, radials failed)
  • Technical stage- Axle bender section and spotting section (most enjoyable and tougher section)
Need to learn to organise and write like Samurai san. I have posted picas of all sections in my first post. More pics to come apologies for delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Congrats on taking the MGE to the next level, vinod_nookala

The trail does look tough, and looks like all had a great time off-roading. The THAR seems to have been intentionally parked with the rear axles articulated .

Any videos taken?
Participants may have taken videos so request them to share it here. Will upload our own video once editied on you tube and share.

BThunder-I just happen to meet another enthusiast who is grandfather of all in off roading - Naresh Bhosle. The combination has become lethal
Believe me the real off road is done on recee's. He is a hardcore off roader himself and his entire team is up to the task. They did the whole AKC and Examm trail in their long wheel base Marshal.

Further please dont expect every great escape to be like this one. Track severely depends on local population of 4wd's and terrain that we get for safe off roading. Hence every thing must fall in place!

p.s- Yes you are right, parking THAR like that was intentional.
Old 7th September 2010, 11:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I totally agree with Vinod. Naresh Bhosle is our respected senior, he and his highly motivated team are an inspiration for both of us. I think after the EXAMM / AKC, everybody has understood the real capability and hidden potential of this silently working team. We really enjoy the MGE recees immensely because we have around 4 no frills, no nonsense winch equipped 4 wheel drive vehicles, all operated by guys who have a fervent desire to excel in this activity. Therefore, we take trails never explored and then decide on the rationality of including it in the event or not. Obviously, we have to cater to the 2 wheel drive customers as well.

I remember the 2002 Mandawa (Rajasthan) MGE where there was a huge dune descent ending in the lunch area below (it was really huge, believe me). It was considered too much for the event so we bypassed it. During the recee also, we had lunch at the same spot. There were only 4 vehicles instead of the usual 75 or so. As I was having lunch, I was told to go up the dune by an alternate route and then plunge straight down so that the video could be recorded. When I saw the video, I was like "I DID THAT? I MUST BE NUTS!" . That's the advantage of being a part of MGE recees.

And now, with the Thar, you can well imagine ----- .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - comment of our security officer at the Nasik plant gate on seeing the Thar after it returned from the Chikmagalur MGE with clear instruction to my driver not to clean the vehicle - "Dhabhar Saab, aapka gaadi bahut "rawda" dikhta hai. Koi saamne nahin aayega".

MAHINDRA THAR - "GO - ANYWHERE".
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 16:48   #41
BHPian

Cool

Some more goodies!

Name:  DSC_0002.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  172.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0003.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0005.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  142.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0006.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0007.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  151.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0009.JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0010.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0011.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0012.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  154.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0014.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0015.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0017.JPG
Views: 611
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0019.JPG
Views: 603
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0020.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0022.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  111.7 KB

Source: Picasa Web Albums - Mahindra Great Es...
Finject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics..but I did not expect a Tarmac Flag off for a 4wd event

BTW - The axle articulated THAR participated ? Or was it just an eyestopper? Why cant you remove the floor boards please?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 11:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nice pics..but I did not expect a Tarmac Flag off for a 4wd event

BTW - The axle articulated THAR participated ? Or was it just an eyestopper? Why cant you remove the floor boards please?
Headers, there are enough and more pics. This THAR was for display. Other THAR was on trail driven by Behram
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Great Escape (4wd Only) Update: Report - Chikkamagaluru-dsc_0269.jpg  

Old 8th September 2010, 21:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vinod looks like you are enjoying the Job !

When/Where is the next MGE ?

Off Topic : Where is you 540 now?taken to mumbai
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 15:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Vinod looks like you are enjoying the Job !

When/Where is the next MGE ?

Off Topic : Where is you 540 now?taken to mumbai

Yes man, job has been very satisfying ...touchwood!!!

Next MGE is in Wayanad Kerela on 25th of September. Iam not able to do the recee for this event as much as i would like to. But Iam sure my trusted veteran is doing a good job.

Looks like Wayanad again would be a 4wd event only.