Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 7th September 2010, 09:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Roby, that was a close call with snorkel failing you... not exactly the snorkel, but the filter assy. You can read more here for some tests to check the proper fitting of a snorkel.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2057376-post348.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2057905-post182.html

--------Edit----

Roby, imagine if the pintle hook would have snapped again no komatsu can reach you up there...

Last edited by svsantosh : 7th September 2010 at 09:42.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 09:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Nice location.

Btw, the depth of the water seems to be more. I am sure you would have checked the level before attempting. Right? Or was it other way

Sir, THE right excuse
Yes, we did check the depth of the water by a stick. But was confident, as I had the snorkel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Roby, that was a close call with snorkel failing you... not exactly the snorkel, but the filter assy. You can read more here for some tests to check the proper fitting of a snorkel.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2057376-post348.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2057905-post182.html

--------Edit----

Roby, imagine if the pintle hook would have snapped again no komatsu can reach you up there...
SVS,

Thank you so much for the link. Will check it out before I think of any water cross.
robinson.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 14:30   #18
BHPian

Unhappy Moving forward after the water episode

After a short lunch and fixing the Invader, we moved forward and reached the Kuttikanam broken Dam site. Its 10 to 15 acres of open stretch were there is enough mud to get your vehicle sink or try out the boarders to be safe.
We started with the incline which most of us did after few try. Then got in to the mud, and got stuck. We had George as the recovery vehicle, as sam wanted to keep his invader clean.

Due to the mist,the visibility was very poor, so we decided to get back around 630pm itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07194.jpg  

Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07203.jpg  

Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07250.jpg  

Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07236.jpg  

Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07187.jpg  

Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07229.jpg  

Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07239.jpg  

Mundakayam / Yandayar & Kuttikanam (Kerala)-dsc07207.jpg  

Old 7th September 2010, 16:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

Super duper stuff, what time these pictures were taken. Mist is really heavy and who all got stuck?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 16:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

robinson some real cool stuff man. Had done a trip last year to this place and was simply blown away with what it had to offer. The video is awesome where the blue invader is trying to pull yours from the pool. Looks like a tamed animal is trying to have its way with a wild one.

jaggu I think this place is like this always. When we did our trip to Vagamon last year the place would be covered in mist by 3pm itself.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 19:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Super duper stuff, what time these pictures were taken. Mist is really heavy and who all got stuck?

These pictures were taken around 530pm. The mist started falling from noon.

Satish in his CJ and me got stuck in the mud. Only we got in, then the we were losing the light, so we packed off.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
robinson some real cool stuff man. Had done a trip last year to this place and was simply blown away with what it had to offer. The video is awesome where the blue invader is trying to pull yours from the pool. Looks like a tamed animal is trying to have its way with a wild one.

jaggu I think this place is like this always. When we did our trip to Vagamon last year the place would be covered in mist by 3pm itself.
@rjstyles, Thats a good one.

Wagamon is few kms from this spot. There, its even more worst. Mist stay for very long time.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Robinson - that was a good OTR you had near Kottayam. This brings back memories of Kottayam from where I purchased my left hand drive Premier Padmini KL05G7629 (now MH01YA3238) in November 2007 (from Kurian, you may know him, his house and garage are on the left side of the highway if you come from the railway station side) and drove all the way for 1600 kms to Mumbai. I still remember - GOD'S OWN COUNTRY, INTERCITY BUSES' OWN ROADS! Oh my God.

By the way, I HATE WATER TOO AND I DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO ALWAYS AVOID IT. Its no use ruining your engine just for the heck of it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 12:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Robinson - that was a good OTR you had near Kottayam. This brings back memories of Kottayam from where I purchased my left hand drive Premier Padmini KL05G7629 (now MH01YA3238) in November 2007 (from Kurian, you may know him, his house and garage are on the left side of the highway if you come from the railway station side) and drove all the way for 1600 kms to Mumbai. I still remember - GOD'S OWN COUNTRY, INTERCITY BUSES' OWN ROADS! Oh my God.

By the way, I HATE WATER TOO AND I DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO ALWAYS AVOID IT. Its no use ruining your engine just for the heck of it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Behram Sir: The place we did this OTR is 65 kms from Kottayam. On NH 220 towards Mundakayam which is my home town.
Yes I know Kurien, he had mentioned about this in our conversation. If am not wrong, the vehicle you bought from him was the last batch product in that series. Really good buy .

The best part for Kerala is, we can find our trail every were, and the stretches are really beautiful.
You right sir, water is some thing which kills your vehicle. If its deep then its even more worst.
Have decided to avoide as much I can from now on.

We would love to see you drive in these stretches in the upcoming events.

Best Regards
Robinson
Old 8th September 2010, 13:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson.s View Post
After a short lunch and fixing the Invader, we moved forward and reached the Kuttikanam broken Dam site. Its 10 to 15 acres of open stretch were there is enough mud to get your vehicle sink or try out the boarders to be safe.
We started with the incline which most of us did after few try. Then got in to the mud, and got stuck. We had George as the recovery vehicle, as sam wanted to keep his invader clean.

Due to the mist,the visibility was very poor, so we decided to get back around 630pm itself.
Robinson, Nice pics and Amazing Weather! Keep posting!
I am missing all these OTR's!
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 15:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Robinson, Nice pics and Amazing Weather! Keep posting!
I am missing all these OTR's!

Hi Shibu,

This stretch is not new for you, we did the same last dec. Anyway, will be planning the same trail with with the Bangalore boys.
Will keep you posted, you can plan accordingly.

Regards