Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 14:17   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 252
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

for valley of flowers, time to go is betwen- june to october, july would be too wet and slushy.
ahead of vof there is an excellent trek - kak bhushandi.
waiting for hvk's input.
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:06   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,357
Thanked: 757 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Nice idea, if its not only for the jeepers I may also chip in with full gear. But since many seem to be the first timers plus will have family along Ill prefer the Chopta-Tungnath to Valley of flowers as 1) it will be crowded at Govindghat and adequate parking facilities wont be available while you are gone, 2) You are not allowed to camp or take in food/water into valley of flowers, 3) It will be even more crowded at Ghangaria.
But in case you guys are open to some fun trails that are not too arduous and in HP I can come up with a few more options.
wanderernomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 19:15   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,673
Thanked: 1,156 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Im driving to Ladakh in early June(1st week) Approx 15-20 days trip. Would love to, but not sure I can fit into the schedule being discussed.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 21:55   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 913 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
ahead of vof there is an excellent trek - kak bhushandi.
waiting for hvk's input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
in case you guys are open to some fun trails that are not too arduous and in HP I can come up with a few more options.
I am game for anything that is scenic. Hopefully by end Feb we should have a clear consensus on the route and then start freezing on stay options etc
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 09:13   #65
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Thar will be ideal choice. Jeep/CJ3B will definately will go but you have to spend more time on vehicle issues rather than enjoying nature. Even 2WD vehicles with high GC will do easily ladakh unless you want to try off the track roads like me.
Personally I would suggest Gypsy for himalya trip, No issues carefree for full trip.
For example from keylong to Leh can be done in one day, if driving in CJ3B then it will take atleast 3 days with stop at sarchu/pang. staying at sarchu means starting problem even carb gypsy had starting problem.
I have travelled from Kanyakumari to Jammu & Kashmir in my CJ500 and felt that any diesel engine with heating will not be suitable in extreme cold conditions, hence I switched over to DI engine with which I have not had any starting trouble. When ever I get the urge to travel I take my vehicle and explore like this I have covered all the states in India except eastern India beyond West Bengal, which I want to cover and get into Bhutan. Hope to join you guys on an enchanting explorative expedition.
M P Sreenivasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 09:44   #66
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 913 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by M P Sreenivasan View Post
When ever I get the urge to travel I take my vehicle and explore like this I have covered all the states in India except eastern India beyond West Bengal, which I want to cover and get into Bhutan. Hope to join you guys on an enchanting explorative expedition.
That's just such a wonderful way to explore India. Hopefully next year we can plan something toward Arunachal and Bhutan?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 00:15   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Deepakji, this is a great thread! I would like to do Ladakh again this year. But for me it has to be post September and I would like to do Changthang and Hanle.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 14:02   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Saw this in my inbox today. Fly-in, drive around, fly-out.

Exploring the Himalayas-suvcampaignemailer.jpg

I am no way connected to these guys thought of sharing it as folks wanting "to do" the Himalayas have an option.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 14:08   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Saw this in my inbox today. Fly-in, drive around, fly-out.

Attachment 486624

I am no way connected to these guys thought of sharing it as folks wanting "to do" the Himalayas have an option.
Rs2,000/day is not bad for Safari 4X4 considering I had paid Rs 1600/day for Baleno (One car category upgrade scheme) from Avis in 2006. The only catch will be the obscene amount of deposit. It was 75K for the Baleno then and I think it will be atleast 1L or more for these categories.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 15:01   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,703
Thanked: 1,495 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Saw this in my inbox today. Fly-in, drive around, fly-out.

Attachment 486624

I am no way connected to these guys thought of sharing it as folks wanting "to do" the Himalayas have an option.
Thanks a ton for posting this.

DGK and others, can we have lock on dates. So that guys who want to book for rental vehicles (not necessarily from Avis) can do the bookings in advance

Thanks and Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 19:20   #71
BHPian
 
dhuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 196
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by M P Sreenivasan View Post
I have travelled from Kanyakumari to Jammu & Kashmir in my CJ500 and felt that any diesel engine with heating will not be suitable in extreme cold conditions, hence I switched over to DI engine with which I have not had any starting trouble. When ever I get the urge to travel I take my vehicle and explore like this I have covered all the states in India except eastern India beyond West Bengal, which I want to cover and get into Bhutan. Hope to join you guys on an enchanting explorative expedition.
Welcome Sreeni. Would love to hear more about your travels across this country! Very inspiring. You must read similar ones from HVKumar and Roamingrao, besides others! Hope to learn from your experiences and travel tips.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:52   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,703
Thanked: 1,495 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Rs2,000/day is not bad for Safari 4X4 considering I had paid Rs 1600/day for Baleno (One car category upgrade scheme) from Avis in 2006. The only catch will be the obscene amount of deposit. It was 75K for the Baleno then and I think it will be atleast 1L or more for these categories.
MC,

I don't know from which company you rented the car. Did they ask you for the money to deposited in cash?. In my experience with many international car rental cos, INDIAN branches and even some local players like Autoriders, they took a mannual chargeslip for my Credit Card - latter I found that they had online-blocked INR 50 K for rental periods varying from 7 to 20 days.

It will be interesting to know

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 23rd January 2011 at 00:53.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 04:01   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
MC,

I don't know from which company you rented the car. Did they ask you for the money to deposited in cash?. In my experience with many international car rental cos, INDIAN branches and even some local players like Autoriders, they took a mannual chargeslip for my Credit Card - latter I found that they had online-blocked INR 50 K for rental periods varying from 7 to 20 days.

It will be interesting to know

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
No it was not cash but Manual Chargeslip on the card. My rental was for 3 days and the amount reverted to the card after 21 days.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:00   #74
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

MC. If the dates match, then I'm going shotgun in your Getaway .
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:12   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Exploring the Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
MC. If the dates match, then I'm going shotgun in your Getaway .
Arun, as you already know it, Dibs have already been called for the front passenger seat. Its going to be the owner! But its going to be rotating policy so as not to discomfort any particular person. But yes I would be very glad to have you and hand over the steering to you.

Lets plan this thing out !

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics : Landrovers and other suv's visit the Himalayas xtreme power 4x4 Excursions 68 28th February 2009 08:21
Raid-de Himalayas (Dial up pls users excuse!) Thil Indian Motorsport 2 7th March 2007 03:19
Himalayas once again, the snow ride! BunnyPunia Travelogues 11 4th January 2007 17:42
Return to the Himalayas, Sarahan yogesh sarkar Travelogues 6 20th May 2006 02:00
raid  the himalayas 06 sanket12 Indian Motorsport 10 20th January 2006 21:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks