Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 22nd September 2010, 14:14   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Btw, a quick question to all those pouncing on Akshay - how long would it take to read this anyway? I did it in a couple of hours - I didn't bother going through each & every post saying "Awesome" blah blah, I just went through the Ktminduro's ones only.....
If you read only the OP's posts, you must have missed a few interesting discussions on the thread. There was one user who mentioned that he spent his childhood in a village which was in Stage 1 of this course , as his father was a missionary. A few pages later, another guy who knew this same guy as a child and were best friends posted asking if he was the same guy. That thread united 2 best friends again after a long time .
Also, a couple of other people who were with the OP in the trip, joined the forum and posted their own pics and experiences inside the thread.
So for me it was worth spending 3-4 hours reading the whole thread .
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
If you read only the OP's posts, you must have missed a few interesting discussions on the thread. There was one user who mentioned that he spent his childhood in a village which was in Stage 1 of this course , as his father was a missionary. A few pages later, another guy who knew this same guy as a child and were best friends posted asking if he was the same guy. That thread united 2 best friends again after a long time
I read that bit . I'm referring to the numerous "awesome", "mindblowing" & such stuff, if you remove those & a host of other useless posts where entire posts & pics have been quoted, the 49 pages would probably come down to 15 or 20. Very much readable in an hour or two......
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:39   #18
BHPian

Wow. Good to see the thread on Borneo, Kalimantan island (Indonesia). My friends had planned last year, but the cost of registration and vehicle preparation went really high. So got dropped last mnt.
Its normally 15 days extreme adventure OTR. Let me dig out some of the really life experiences from my friends in Jakarta and post it in the same thread.
robinson.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Akshay,

You finished it in an hour? How? I am gasping and gulping for breath after EACH shot. They are incredible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Finished in an hour. How you finished it mate?

For the last two days at least for 3 hours (avg), I am gasping the photographs and its incredible narration and still in Day 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Btw, a quick question to all those pouncing on Akshay - how long would it take to read this anyway?
So maybe it was an hour and a half But what can i say? Im a quick reader.

And yes those photos were really good. The writeup would not have been half as good without being accompanied by the pics.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 21:41   #20
Joy
BHPian

Guys, sorry if I have hurt someone. Just a question to all those raising a point about my query. Did you read each and every post in TBHP or just the gist?

I love reading the reactions of the people, be it TBHP or any other forum (Just for the info, I am a member of just 2-3 forums which I like). That's me. I think the amount of hardship these guys had undertaken, just for the love of it, is unbelievable. Each and every picture till date (not finished yet) deserves to be seen at least two to three times, just to get the real feel of the place.

Sorry once gain, if I have hurt you all (as because TBHP is where my heart belongs and I don't want to hurt my fellow BHPian's).

DISCLAIMER: I am not a member of advrider.com.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 14:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Did you read each and every post in TBHP or just the gist?
Joy, you haven't hurt anyone, don't worry.

You have a very valid point about Tbhp & its content. But then - half those posts on advrider.com would have been deleted here as Spam & one liners adding no value

Same for the ones containing nothing but multiple smilies
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 23:20   #22
BHPian

I'm amazed that the highly modified Ford Everest (Endeavour) and its sibling the Ford Ranger had made it to the 49th page considering they are vehicles with a LWB!!

The Simex Extreme Trekker tyres and the Warn winch must be credited for this feat!
HillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 14:01   #23
BHPian

I really wonder how the organizers manage the rescue and recovery operation. To mobilze a recovery in these jungles with those huge cargo carrying helicopters is not cheap.

Wonder how the economics work out.

But excellent narration, that thread had me at the edge till the very end. All those 'in-action' photos were worth every second spend pointing the camera.
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 15:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Spinnerr: The helicopters were called in, in 1985, not 2009!

@others: the log is complete now. The last set of pics is as crazy as the first few
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 15:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Spinnerr: The helicopters were called in, in 1985, not 2009!
That i did realize.

I was wondering what kind of investment the organisers whould have to make to host such a tough offroad challenge.

Or do they just make the participants sign a disclaimer that says "We give you the start, end and the daily halt gps co-ordinates, get there as and when you can".
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 17:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

is there any other log from any 4X4 driver or co-driver, I guess alot of 4X4 action is missing in the log as these biker were traveling ahead or behind of jeeps. But I am in love, if not that level, I would like to try something of lower level
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 17:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Took half day to read the whole episode and man that's some adventure. The amount of preparation these guys have gone through is amazing. Truly testing terrain for man and the machine.

ps: Kinda answers the question, about 2 wheels vs 4x4 for offroading
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 18:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@RKB - fully agree. i have the same thoughts.
@Jaggu - conceded - BUT that is not offroading. It is fording slush and what have you. It makes most indian offroad triplogs seem like a walk in the park!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote