Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 23rd June 2011, 11:43   #1

Default MG410 Carburetor

Hi Experts,
I have searched and had gone through a number of threads discussing on the same topic. Still I havent got what am looking for..

I have this MG410 (jap model, pretty old one), I have given her a new set of tires, changed battery and have redone the engine, seats are done and have a usb audio system that i was able to get for Rs.600/- , local brand, doing good.

Have a long way to go to make her look much prettier than she is now.

The main issue that I have now is around the carburetor. Maruti people told me that the current one that is there with the vehicle is not good and the butterfly stays up (previous owner had this with gas).

For almost 6 months now, am searching for a carburetor, and came across the following options
  1. Omni Carb (which Maruti people said, would endup me having a vehicle that cannot climb hill)
  2. Premier 118 NE, Contessa Classic Carb that would provide same pull power with a need for slight modification to fit.(This was told by a self made mechanic in tamilnadu)
  3. Original Jap carburetor that is available thru an army contact i have (INR. 19,800)

Would like to know, whether i can do a good life with option 2, that is, having Premier 118 NE / Contessa Classic carburetor.
Please do direct me to a thread that had already discussed this or the answer that would help me to have this vehicle going good.

Thanks
srishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 12:44   #2
BHPian

Default Re: MG410 Carburetor

srishere
The contessa is a bottom draft (had it on my 413 so I know). to fit this on your gypsy, you will have to make lots of changes - just not worth it.

Your 410 has a side draft carb. The maruti omni carb is also a side draft.
I would suggest that you try the omni carb first - try a second hand carb first and see how it drives.

If you need any clarifications, do PM me.

Hope this helps
GB
Gypsy-Boy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 18:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi

IMO you can use the maruti 1000's (early esteem) carb.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/77072-can-esteem-carburetor-fit-gypsy-king.html

rgds,
Nikhil

EDIT: the M800's carb is direct fit.

Last edited by jeepster : 24th June 2011 at 18:21.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 18:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishere View Post
The main issue that I have now is around the carburetor. Maruti people told me that the current one that is there with the vehicle is not good and the butterfly stays up (previous owner had this with gas).
This butterfly getting stuck problem can be fixed by a competent mechanic if he has patience. When i bought an old M800 (SS80 Jap) model it had the same problem and was fixed by a mechanic in Blore didn't have to change the carb and it worked like a charm. Key is to find a capable mechanic. Most Maruti people (or any authorised workshop) seldom like to fix things out of routine, for them easiest way out is to blame the carb and suggest a replacement.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 21:14   #5

My thanks to Sankar, jeepster and Gypsy boy. Think I will try this omni carb first as a start and see the pull power (as that is what every one is complaining about in garages).
As Sankar said, one mechanic in Coimbatore, said he can fix the butterfly, but looks this carb need a replacement.

Thanks a lot for immediate response, Really happy to learn more things by day with this vehicle and the knowledge you all possess
srishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:04   #6

Just thought, would add the final outcome here, hoping it could find its use somewhere...
Found this Non Genuine Maruti Carb in Coimbatore. New one costing 5300/-..
Fitted and now the gypsy is doing really well
working on minimal lathe work and some sticker stuff. Once done, will post the pics.

My Thanks to everyone here for providing all information and helping me through
srishere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 03:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishere View Post
Found this Non Genuine Maruti Carb in Coimbatore. New one costing 5300/-..
Fitted and now the gypsy is doing really well

Hello Srishere,
My gypsy 410 needs a change of carb. Could you please let me know where in Coimbatore, I could procure this carb?
Thanks & Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 12:09   #8

Hi Ashok,
Sorry, that it took a while for me to answer you back. The place is called Adhithya Stores in Coimbatore. I have asked my driver for the phone numbers and address. Will get them before end of today and will update here.

got this mobile number from the driver..

Adhitya Stores, 9965534519

Hope it helps.

Warm Regards
Sriram

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2012 at 21:40. Reason: Please read the note in your post carefully, thanks
srishere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 10:09   #9
BHPian

Sriram,
Thank you for the information. I would be greatly obliged if you could get me the address.
Best regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 21:11   #10

Hi Ashok,
My driver did the travel and got this from store. The mobile number given there is, his contact i guess.

Did a search on google and came across the same address for this store in the top three results. So has to be right one...

It is::
Aditya Auto Store
406, Dr Nanjappa Road, Dr Nanjappa Road, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu 641018
0422 223 2911 ‎

Google Map
srishere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote