Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 17th November 2011, 23:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: What makes Jeeps such serious offroaders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
What cars or Jeep derivatives can offer this?
For a start, lets say the Thar CRDe, with IFS.

Other than that, let the experienced fellow members comment. But, I have been in a friends Lexus, who just glides through the bad roads, that, if in a car, one would need to stop and roll the tyres on without any suspension travel.

So, I guess the RR's, Prado's et al can manage.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 12:18   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_power View Post
Would you take a 1 Crore SUV in that kind of stuff..??
We wouldn't, but a small number of (super rich) dudes would. Remember, "expensive" is relative. The Jeep's repair cost could form the same % of my income, as a Landcruiser's repair bill to its owner. Internationally, you'll see a lot of people offroading in $100,000+ SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I tried offroading in the SUV. Got some body scratches, broke a bumper, and then went ahead and bought a Jeep.
And that's in an SUV that can do some decent off-roading to start with! You should probably revisit that section in a Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
To me gizmos are not as important. But driving comfort, particularly on bad roads (country side as well as pothole ridden ones in cities) is. (say softroading rather than serious offroading).

What cars or Jeep derivatives can offer this?
Mahindra Thar

Trax Gurkha

My pick is the Mahindra Thar. An awesome Jeep that can offroad as much as 99.95% of its owners would ever want to.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 17:22   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Jeep's repair cost could form the same % of my income, as a Landcruiser's repair bill to its owner. Internationally, you'll see a lot of people offroading in $100,000+ SUVs.
Well, I think its not only about the expense of each repair, but also the real part, which is repairability, which you have almost mentioned in your earlier post.

IMO, a Jeep can be repaired/restored to its earlier state, or atleast 98% of it can. But, even with an unlimited budget, can a complicated 50lac+ SUV be restored to its original condition, outside the assembly line?
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 11:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

What makes a Mahindra JEEP a serious Off-Road Vehicle?

1) Solid Axles - Rugged, Simple, Offer better Off-Road Dynamics.

2) Ladder Chassis - Rugged, Simple, Offer better Off-Road Dynamics

3) Light & Flexible Body - Keeps the weight of the vehicle considerably low.

4) Low Differential Ratio (4.27 - 5.38:1) - Better Crawl Ratio, more effective use of engine power, lesser wheel spins, better control in 4WD.

5) Visibility - Unmatched

6) ADR Angles. - Very Difficult to match

On "BAD" roads and SUV or XUV type vehicle is much better. But where there are no-roads, not a shred of stone chips and tar, the Mahindra is God-Send, and rightfully so in INDIA for the past 60 years.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...odern-4wd.html (Mahindra 4WD vs Modern 4WD)

Most SUVs, have addressed a key concern in the JEEPs, passenger/Driver Comfort, weather protection and a higher degree of safety.

Also usage patterns have indicated that most 4x4s are used Off-Road for less than 5% of the accumulated mileage.

Hence the shift towards more creature comforts, these comforts came at a penalty of weight and size, and obviously cost.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 15:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

As discussed till now, Jeeps were designed for off-road and harsh terrain. They have all the boxes ticked.

SUV were designed to accommodate Jeep like characteristics in a "Social Set" acceptable format - good looks, moderate off roading and smart enough to be taken to a "Club". Modern SUV can do a fair bit of highway travel at speed and comfort not possible in a regular Jeep.

Of all their characteristics which make them ideal off roaders - the short wheel base coupled with a transfer box and a rugged chassis are of prime importance. SUV with their long wheel base and heavier weights will bog down in mud and narrow trails, where a Jeep will sail through.

The costs of repair, as commented on are relative. If you have deep pockets, repair costs do not bother you, thus we see a lot of Mercedes G Wagen used as serious off-roaders by the rich set. Though they get banged up as much as a Jeep, the repair costs would see me through a couple of years of comfortable living!
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote