Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 14th January 2012, 01:43   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
sir,
Please note that we are having issues but at the same time its taken care as well.In my group we are taking our 3rd THAR on next monday.Never purchase is stopped.Need caution to people who has used a well refined sedan cant settle with THAR, so those guys stay away.
Reassuring to notethat the issues are being taken care off.Having used a jeep made by Mahindra & Mahindra for close to 10 years,I have no doubt that things will eventually be taken care off.However,Your statutory warning on people who are used to driving 'well refined sedan's' staying away from the Thar does not carry much weight,because it reeks of biased thinking----!Good luck to your groups new Thar.

Ronnie Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 11:22   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post

Has it become any worse since your last post ?
its worse, the area foul emanates is engine bay to catcon. its difficult to pinpoint the location, but as one rolls down drivers window the suction in causes concentrated unburnt fuel. Nothing from the the back, since exhaust is sidewards.

Will go for ecu reload again, have been doing this at india garage, thinking of trying at shireesh or other ASC, presume COTAK guys are different.

Last edited by vnambiar : 14th January 2012 at 11:24.
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 15:37   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
Will go for ecu reload again, have been doing this at india garage, thinking of trying at shireesh or other ASC, presume COTAK guys are different.
Try the India Garage Service center at Victoria road - they've got a guy named Prashant from COTAK. He's done a good job. Take him for a 20-40 Km test ride and show him when the problem occurs.
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 18:38   #109
BHPian

Spike, i hope you remember this, 10 months ago we had a discussion on fb regarding this issue. I had told this THAR emits too much NOx and M&M doesn't even know how to route the exhaust pipe in a soft top JEEP. Now i think M&M realized it after experimenting it on users and it took M&M more then a year to understand the problem. This also showed how much they care about customers health or the lack of knowledge about the product and requirements. Few OEMs does this tricks, the production dataset will never be same or similar to dataset when it was subjected to homologation. This shows how much they respect emission norms. one example is TATA marcopolo.
star_aqua is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 12:32   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Few OEMs does this tricks, the production dataset will never be same or similar to dataset when it was subjected to homologation.
Something I've always wondered about. With all manufacturers, not just Mahindra.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 16:30   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike, i hope you remember this, 10 months ago we had a discussion on fb regarding this issue. I had told this THAR emits too much NOx and M&M doesn't even know how to route the exhaust pipe in a soft top JEEP. Now i think M&M realized it after experimenting it on users and it took M&M more then a year to understand the problem. This also showed how much they care about customers health or the lack of knowledge about the product and requirements. Few OEMs does this tricks, the production dataset will never be same or similar to dataset when it was subjected to homologation. This shows how much they respect emission norms. one example is TATA marcopolo.
Could be a conspiracy here. I think Mahindra is trying to sell Maruti GYPSYs.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 20:35   #112
BHPian

Got the ECU update done on Sat. The service guys say it is the latest version. But this morning still had a strong unburnt smell of fuel from the Thar. I had my windows down and got a really strong whiff!

Don't know if thee exhaust mod will make any difference.

Also, after the update, it seems like the Thar rides much rougher. The gears have become 'notchier', there is no pull in 2nd gear at all until the engine his 2100 RPM.

This just gets worse and worse....
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 22:42   #113
Senior - BHPian

Default Treat cause or symptom

Quote:
Spike, i hope you remember this, 10 months ago we had a discussion on fb regarding this issue.
Yes, I remember and I stand by my statement made 10 months ago.

Quote:
I had told this THAR emits too much NOx and M&M doesn't even know how to route the exhaust pipe in a soft top JEEP. Now i think M&M realized it after experimenting it on users and it took M&M more then a year to understand the problem.
Problem is neither excess NOx or with exhaust pipe routing. I thought you being a calibration engineer yourself must have understood the problem when you test drove (??) , but.... . If exhaust routing was the only problem, only the exhaust would have been modified na, why alter anything else?

Has anyone given a thought on the nature of this problem occurrence? Why location specific ? This is the maximum I can say as I do not have the liberty to divulge anything further in the forum and I think more than anyone else here, you can make reasonable inferences on this topic. Your professional experience gives you an edge here.

Quote:
This also showed how much they care about customers health or the lack of knowledge about the product and requirements.
Read between the lines, above or below it-- you are free to make your own conclusions, I cannot help it.

Why do I say all this -- see below post

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Got the ECU update done on Sat. The service guys say it is the latest version. But this morning still had a strong unburnt smell of fuel from the Thar. I had my windows down and got a really strong whiff!
That is all from me, I'm done on this topic and that is all I can contribute !

Spike

PS- For those who "may" try to deduce I am not co-operating , helping members on the forum, ask anyone among them who has interacted with me offline. I have my limitations and I follow them like a stickler.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 15th January 2012 at 23:11. Reason: Add PS
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 13:58   #114
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Treat cause or symptom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Has anyone given a thought on the nature of this problem occurrence? Why location specific ?
Bangalore. Altitude fooling the ECU? I understand Mahindra is talking to local governments near Bangy to see about lowering the region.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th January 2012 at 14:00.
DirtyDan is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 14:12   #115
BHPian

Does any of the members up north, specifically Delhi and nearby, face the same fumes problem? This would lend some credence to the "Location specific" comment. I was at Koncept automobiles, Delhi (Safdarjung Enclave), and the sales rep., who has supposedly sold close to around 30 THAR's in the past 1 year, had not even heard of such a problem existing, and none of his customers have approached him for any Re-mapping of the ECU. Interestingly, the chap did not even know about the new launch of scorpio 4x4 in the lx segment. that is why i doubt his feed back!
amartya sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 22:10   #116
BHPian

Default Re: Treat cause or symptom

Quote:

Problem is neither excess NOx or with exhaust pipe routing. I thought you being a calibration engineer yourself must have understood the problem when you test drove (??) , but.... .
Spikey, am not a calibration engineer fyi. And i did not test drove THAR in bangalore. but you mean to say it was a calibration mistake here?

Quote:
If exhaust routing was the only problem, only the exhaust would have been modified na, why alter anything else?
Yes, i know root cause is somewhere else. i did mention about bad exhaust and routing is only to suppress it. just because it is a BSIV vehicle, doesn't mean the exhaust proper routing is not required. i did not understand why the exhaust pipe is re routed now. fixing at the root was not possible eh? or is it a very costly fix?
or if the fix is made at the root, then as per you, the exhaust re routing was not required.

Quote:
Has anyone given a thought on the nature of this problem occurrence? Why location specific ? This is the maximum I can say as I do not have the liberty to divulge anything further in the forum and I think more than anyone else here, you can make reasonable inferences on this topic. Your professional experience gives you an edge here.

Read between the lines, above or below it-- you are free to make your own conclusions, I cannot help it.
Spike, i understand, you cannot explain here what went wrong. but regarding location specific, i think it must be first time in the automobile history that the bangalore is causing a problem to a vehicle. Normally its coastal region or cold region or high humid region or high altitude region would cause some problems. am wondering what bangalore has turned into. i dont know how it is in bangalore now as am away from since three months.

Spike, is it the oxidation catalyst not able to light-off at low temperature combustion?
star_aqua is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 22:00   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
Give it time. have done 600kms post mapping, traces of fume near drivers cabin
This seems to be the case for my Thar - I now notice the traces of fumes near driver's cabin - only traces -so still very much liveable.

Now, after getting the ECU remapped - I had taken the cotak guys on a 20-25 KM test - with the back flap rolled up - but at that time we did not get any smell at all.

I wonder what happens with time / more mileage on the odometer.

This thread has gone cold - I was hoping we could collectively solve this issue.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:45   #118
BHPian

Hi Carrot,

Noticed this problem when driving down the Kodaikanal ghat roads early morning last month. It was quite cold and was the first time I got a whiff of it.

I live near Chennai and I have never had this smell over here, Bangalore or anywhere else I have taken the Thar to. After speaking with the service guys at India Garage I was clear they had no clue about this issue and would be fiddling around with a lot of things on my Jeep they no nothing about.

Do you recommend solving this issue in Bangalore?
Lakshman1645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 10:59   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Hi Carrot,

Noticed this problem when driving down the Kodaikanal ghat roads early morning last month. It was quite cold and was the first time I got a whiff of it.

I live near Chennai and I have never had this smell over here, Bangalore or anywhere else I have taken the Thar to. After speaking with the service guys at India Garage I was clear they had no clue about this issue and would be fiddling around with a lot of things on my Jeep they no nothing about.

Do you recommend solving this issue in Bangalore?
Lakshman - if only we Bengalorians had a solution - what little I know of the issue - it will take the Mahindra and Mahindra R&D dept to provide a solution - the other 'solutions' which dealers or service centers provide is not working fully.

As mentioned else where on this thread the issue could be with the fuel maps for the ECU. While the new ECU data set is working for a few - for others the issue resurfaces in some time. The modified exhaust is not really solving the problem.

Suggest we all write to M&M to provide a solution. i.e. a yet another new Data set for the ECU - which works for all altitudes and temperature ranges. Write to gupta.sanjoy@mahindra.com - I have already written and awaiting a response. I request you to also write to him about this issue.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 6th March 2012 at 11:14. Reason: added email address.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:00   #120
BHPian

I had been following this thread and other thar related threads for a while now.
I got my Thar delivered on 4th of jan this year and i live in chandigarh. As far exhaust fumes are concerned the only time i face this issue is on the morning itself for few minutes. Moreover whenever i have the softtop open from rear and i am on stable 40-50 kmph speed in a city , i get the whiff of exhaust fumes. But i must admit its definitely not an ongoing problem. Anyways hope that answer the query on the page regarding the north thar owners.
Car-e-ok is offline   Reply With Quote