Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 23rd March 2012, 13:45   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin

I could smell the exhaust fumes this morning on my way to work. This is the first time I got the smell on the plains. I know for sure this is going to become more frequent.
I did my first service in a private garage as i had recieved many poor ratings about the ASC. I don't think they are going to sort this problem out for me under warranty now
Lakshman1645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 21:49   #122
BHPian

Hey guys
It's very disheartening to come across such an issue on an m&m product.
Anyway, why don't you run a quick comparison check of the VIN of all the affected vehicles just to confirm whether a particular lot of Thars were lemons
Cheers
WC
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 06:40   #123
BHPian

For all those who have this problem, do you really think these are exhaust fumes? I used to get a similar smell when I was using a reconditioned battery in a Fiat I drove when I was in college.

Symptoms are the same - headache and dry throat
I can smell it even with the AC on and windows up.

I start getting the smell mostly when I'm in 4th gear doing a constant 45-50km/hr. RPM is just under 1500
Lakshman1645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 10:05   #124
BHPian

No fumes smelled now inside the cabin after rerouting the tail pipe,reloading the data set and fully insulating the ST.

Thanks.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 18:59   #125
BHPian

Hi has this problem been resolved in the new Thar?The ones with factory-fitted ac?

This is a major concern for me, who had made up my mind to go for the Thar!!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 13:18   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
For all those who have this problem, do you really think these are exhaust fumes? I used to get a similar smell when I was using a reconditioned battery in a Fiat I drove when I was in college.

Symptoms are the same - headache and dry throat

I start getting the smell mostly when I'm in 4th gear doing a constant 45-50km/hr. RPM is just under 1500

Sir, it's interesting to note what you have written. In fact, when I got my Thar serviced the second time at the ASC last week. I mentioned the same thing. 4th gear, 45-50 cruising speed and the smell during cold start early in the morning.

After the service, the smell at 40-50 cruising speed has vanished, but the smell at cold start in the morning remains. The ASC has promised to change the exhaust for me soon.

This is not just a Bangalore phenomenon; it's been happening to Thar owners in Bombay as well.
Trueintrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 14:05   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
This is not the case with me - with AC on and windows up - there is no smell and I have driven over 1500 kms now with AC.

Of course I have the new data set and the new Exhaust pipe (re-routed).
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:53   #128
BHPian

Noticed a lot of it in my friend's Thar when driving about in the mountains in Kinnaur (H.P.), in friend's Gypsy always, and in various hardtop vehicles when there was something amiss either in the exhaust system underneath or with respect to some opening in the rear bodywork letting fumes in.

More speed = more vacuum = more fumes getting sucked into your interior through little gaps around the edges of the canvas top. Higher rpm in lower gears = lower speed, less vacuum, more velocity of exhaust gases to push them further from the car's back end. So the proposed test and the results you saw make perfect sense, and I don't think recalibration of the ECU has the slightest bit to do with any of it (but it's probably what someone at the dealer workshop told the gentleman).

I remember a Sumo that also had the issue - till the rear door rubber seal was replaced.

As others suggest, soft-tops just not easily tightly seal-able. Live with it or put a hard-top on it.

It's the main reason I'm looking to buy either a 540 with hardtop or more likely, a Marshal / Armada.
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:17   #129
BHPian

Default Exhaust fumes in the cabin of my Mahindra Thar

Hi,

I from Bangalore and own a first generation THAR,
Am enjoying every bit of the vehicle but i am facing a problem in my vehicle,
the exhaust fumes inside the vehicle!

During long drives it gets too much. recently had been to madikeri. During the journey i couldn't drive continuous, we had to stop frequently to get rid of the fumes.

i read through other threads/ forums couldn't find any solution, some say data has to be reset. when i approach IG workshop in peenya, they says its a common thing in all THAR's, but we recently purchased another THAR for my brother, that vehicle is absolutely fine, so such issues.

Any one from Mahindra on TBHP please help me out .
Pain_in_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U
Hi,

I from Bangalore and own a first generation THAR,
Am enjoying every bit of the vehicle but i am facing a problem in my vehicle,
the exhaust fumes inside the vehicle!

During long drives it gets too much. recently had been to madikeri. During the journey i couldn't drive continuous, we had to stop frequently to get rid of the fumes.

i read through other threads/ forums couldn't find any solution, some say data has to be reset. when i approach IG workshop in peenya, they says its a common thing in all THAR's, but we recently purchased another THAR for my brother, that vehicle is absolutely fine, so such issues.

Any one from Mahindra on TBHP please help me out .
Please go and visit SKS auto Bannerghatta Road and ask for Amit. Mention me and ask him to help you.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:38   #131
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra please help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please go and visit SKS auto Bannerghatta Road and ask for Amit. Mention me and ask him to help you.
Noted!

thank you very much, will do it tomorrow.
Pain_in_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:40   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U

Noted!

thank you very much, will do it tomorrow.
I would suggest call him first. Will pm you now.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:06   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra please help!!!

Dear Pain in U - there is an add-delete list of parts to be fitted in your vehicle to get rid of this issue. Others in Bangalore have got this done. Rajith can help. Essentially, the tail pipe is bent through 90 degrees so as not to exhaust at the back of the vehicle. The mud flaps get relocated.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:24   #134
Senior - BHPian

Rajith,

Can you post some pics of the specific mods/fixes for this issue? Possibly jackup the thar on a ramp/hydraulic jack and detailed pics incl the mud flap. Would help a lot.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:27   #135
BHPian

please check page 5 or 6 in this same thread for detailed pics of altered exhaust.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote