BANNED

Default Re: Welded Differentials - AKA - Home made Cheap Locked diffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is the best video on the topic.
Thanks , perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Honestly I am not up to anything - I found something shocking on net regd our passion - just wanted to discuss===
Was not doubting your intentions

Quote:
Not being proud - but I can safely say many of us clearly know how a open diff works, but still thanks for the Vid.
Hold on long way to go , read twice what Arka has said , try to read between lines

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 22:11   #17
Team-BHP Support

Usually welding the diff, or spools are used for competition events and most of the times people don't drive such vehicles on tarmac but carry them on trailers. So, for one off competitive events, these work fine -- unless people have selectable diff locks, which give the best of both worlds.

I have driven extensively with full time permanent locked rear diffs (not the auto lockers) both on Tarmac and on offroad. The stresses to the axle shaft -- especially the splines get increased. Your axle shaft can get into shapes like a sugarcane after juice extraction. But a gypsy axle shaft is just 800 bucks, so doesn't matter :-) however, on the +side, the torque delivery, traction is mind boggling. And contrary to popular belief, behavior of the vehicle while driving on Tarmac is not Something that an offroader will not be able to handle. Yes, the tyres chirp, the tyre wear increases... But nothing major that will disturb you from a handling perspective -- including turning on corners. Infact you will love loose gravel, ground to do drifts :-)
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 22:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Santosh,
As I've told you before, I wouldn't run autolockers on my tarmac use vehicle even if given free. Though surprisingly, my main objection (sudden drastic change in handling characteristics) will not be there with a welded diff. It will be consistently hairraising (or entertaining depending on your PoV).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 23:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

This is as ingenious as one can be!! $300 is a lot of dough even for a american dude into offroading - someone invented this idea which is 100% what a Locker is intended to do in the 1st place...
This is not new SVS, has been in use for a long time (crude method).

Infact, I remember Dhabhar Sir telling me to try this in one of our test vehicles but the "conditions" never allowed me to do this. (Welding the gears would often seem as an easier task than answering the question --why this mod? ) Yes, parts & labor were free but still... However, we managed to do a similar mod in which we locked up the ALH of the front axle. During testing, the impact loads broke the weld seams. So, the important thing while doing such mod is the nature and quality of weld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Usually welding the diff, or spools are used for competition events and most of the times people don't drive such vehicles on tarmac but carry them on trailers.
Exactly!

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 06:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

pratheesh, good to know m&m too tried this jugaad. alh means you tried on front? did u try rear also? what is your observation on carrier stress and the overall weakest point in this mod?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 08:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes we tried it for the front. Did not try for the rear, hence have no concrete evidence regarding the weakest point. A lot of things in the rear axle will need a re-look (from an Engineering perspective) for it to be made reliable (strictly for off road use).

Quote:
I remember Dhabhar sir recently saying even himself and the best engineers in world shudder at the thought of the diff and its setup - 1 wrong move and the repercussions are much more than a badly rebuilt GB or Engine...!!
Yes, he is right. IMO, it is the toughest and most skilled job (among all mechanicals). A few thous here and there and things go for a toss. I know this personally because I've experienced this once.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 7th December 2011 at 08:29.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 08:11   #22
BANNED

@svsantosh-- just a thought --

There are two ways of doing any revolutionary or groundbreaking sort of thing .

1) first path is a very long route , involves passion , Patience , handwork + lots of brains ( Study ,knowledge etc ) , it will involve lots of research of all kinds & also lots of trial & error

2) the second route is a shortcut , this welding is a perfect example of it

achieving traction through differential locking has troubled offroaders since ages . But as the differential function is not easy as it sounds the solution is not also easy to to find

This particular welding thing just cannot guarantee any kind of reliability whatsoever in any given condition ( on or off road ) ,& thats where this thought (process, solution ) fails completely

Thinking over it for academic interest is one thing & practical application is another

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 12:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree ^ bhai... i only wanted to spell it out here so that if anyone who thinks of doing such a thing in India can understand the pros (hardly few) and cons (lots!) of this. My intention was academics only... rest(&risk) is upto the doer of such a mod.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote