Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 26th October 2012, 10:22   #1
BHPian

Default Offset rear differential?

Did M&M ever make a right-hand offset rear differential? Or did some other manufacturer make one that would be compatible with our Jeeps? Or is there anyone out there who has modified their rear axle to that effect? Most M&M's I've seen are on center, while Bolero is a bit left, correct?

I was researching some T-18 (a.k.a. D18) transfer case stuff on foreign websites, which cite one of its advantages actually being its two same-offset outputs, potentially allowing all your points of least ground clearance to be on the same line; i.e., if you're taking a line to avoid a big stone with your front (right-offset) diff, then a rear diff similarly offset will automatically clear it too - the alternative being trying to radically adjust your line within the length of your wheelbase to clear a central rear diff (which is what I'd have to do now; it reminds me of the maneuvers of autorickshawallahs trying to avoid potholes). Also, being that on single lane dirt / gravel tracks the center of the road is always at least a few inches higher, it would seem better to not have any diff. in the center.

Supposedly Land Rover sort of copied the original 1940's D18 design, and I think I remember seeing their older models with both right-offset diffs.

Just wondering how hard it would be to set up a M&M Jeep that way (mine is a Marshal).

-Erik
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 14:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Offset rear differential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Did M&M ever make a right-hand offset rear differential? Or did some other manufacturer make one that would be compatible with our Jeeps? Or is there anyone out there who has modified their rear axle to that effect? Most M&M's I've seen are on center, while Bolero is a bit left, correct?

FC van has a right offset differential. Atleast the ones prior to 1994 i think. Someone like arka may be better to guide you with that.

My jeep uses FC 4x4 axles which are right offset. Here are two pics during WIP stage showing right offset:
Name:  IMG02753201112141250.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  Image 3.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  68.8 KB
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 18:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Did M&M ever make a right-hand offset rear differential?
Just wondering how hard it would be to set up a M&M Jeep that way (mine is a Marshal).
-Erik
Hi Eric. All Mahindra 4WD MM540/MM550 rear axles have right offset rear diff. For the long wheelbase 4WD vehicles including Pick up, Marshal, etc, they retain the center oriented diff since the prop shaft is long enough to accomodate the slant of prop shaft from T-18 Transfer case to the diff.

If you need right offset diff with wide track, you have two options. 1) Take the left offset diff from 4WD Armada Grand/Bolero XD3P with Borg Warner T-case and swap the tubes or buy the right offset wide track rear diff from the NGCS Army MM550 avl in Mayapuri for about 16,000 Rs.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 19:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Eric. All Mahindra 4WD MM540/MM550 rear axles have right offset rear diff. For the long wheelbase 4WD vehicles including Pick up, Marshal, etc, they retain the center oriented diff since the prop shaft is long enough to accomodate the slant of prop shaft from T-18 Transfer case to the diff.

If you need right offset diff with wide track, you have two options. 1) Take the left offset diff from 4WD Armada Grand/Bolero XD3P with Borg Warner T-case and swap the tubes or buy the right offset wide track rear diff from the NGCS Army MM550 avl in Mayapuri for about 16,000 Rs.
Wow, Thanks, extremely useful info. Forgive my large oversight re: the 540/550's. Actually there aren't many left up here to refer to, and looking through the All Jeep Photos thread, most of the view angles were too high to get a good look.

Do the Army MM550's have the Full-Floating type axles? If so, that seems the perfect solution (excluding the cost, of course).

If not, the Bolero/Armada idea seems good (better, even, since I can find them at the salvage yards up here in H.P. - but how are those tubes actually removed / reattached? I've never seen it done, that I can remember.

-Erik
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 00:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism
Do the Army MM550's have the Full-Floating type axles? If so, that seems the perfect solution (excluding the cost, of course).

but how are those tubes actually removed / reattached?

-Erik
Post 2004 NGCS Army 550 comes with full floating wide rear diff with right offset diff.

Tubes can be swapped at a good lathe that repairs lorry axles. I had done this on my 550.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 13:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
FC van has a right offset differential. Atleast the ones prior to 1994 i think. Someone like arka may be better to guide you with that.

My jeep uses FC 4x4 axles which are right offset. Here are two pics during WIP stage showing right offset:
Looks to me like the FC axles have more offset than the Bolero units. How wide are they (axles are measured from brake backing plates, or?)? Where did you find yours? Might be down in Delhi this winter and could check Mayapuri, if that's the place to find them.

-Erik

Last edited by ringoism : 17th November 2012 at 13:12.
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote